Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Premier League Started yesterday

biggunsbob

Another long campaign of soccer. First game newly promoted Brentford beats Arsenal 2-0 at home scoring its first top flight goal in over 70+ years. Always cool seeing the big clubs get beat. The Favorites are these four clubs.. Chelsea is defending champions league winner,
and Leicester City is defending FA cup winners. Manchester City is defending premier league champs.

Manchester City
Chelsea
Manchester United
Liverpool

Odds to win

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

Clubs I like to follow are Leicester City. I will root for Chelsea over the other big payroll clubs. Been rooting for them since the mid 90?s. I like Brentford who were just promoted. I also like Blackburn Rovers who play in the championship league and Bolton Wonderers who use to be in the premier league and found themselves in the fourth tier of English football. They were in league 2 now they are in league one. Still the third tier.

You must follow all sports. Btw, what's so Premier about them.

Question for any soccer/football fans out there. I have more availability to watch the major football games now, but I've never really followed the game. I only speak English, but honestly I probably won't have the sound on most of the time. Can anyone recommend a good team or league to pick up? On one hand, everything I see tells me Lionel Messi is the greatest player of all time, and so I feel like I should actually watch his games (outside of youtube compilations). On the other, he's pretty old by football standards, and it might be better to find a team I can follow for some years (without putting everything on Messi).

Just watch the English Premier league. Probably the easiest one to find and watch
Channels
NBC
Nbcsn
Peacock.

If you want to root for the rich clubs like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox watch these

Manchester United?worth 4.6 billion
Liverpool??????..worth 4.14billion
Manchester City??.worth 4.0 billion
Chelsea???????.worth 3.3 billion
Arsenal?????.??worth 3.0 billion
Tottenham?????.Worth 2.85 billion.

Next tier
Everton??????.worth 525 Million.
West Ham United.worth 500 Million
Leicester City??..worth 475 Million ( I like this team the best)
Leeds United??..worth 280 Million
Newcastle United worth 275 Million
Aston Villa ????worth 260 million
Crystal Palace ?..worth 250 million
Wolverhampton..worth 235 million
Southampton??worth 205 million
Brighton Hove Albion ?200 million
Brentford????..worth 185 million
Burley??????.worth 180 million
Norwich City ??worth 169 million
Watford ????..worth 163 million

All leagues in England, France, Germany have systems like this You play each other twice home and away. 3 points for a win and 1 point for tie.
Bottom three teams in The premier league get booted out in to the next league in England.

EPL titles. Clubs have titles before this when it was called something different.
Manchester United?13 titles
Chelsea????????.5 titles
Manchester city???.5 titles
Arsenal????????.3 titles
Liverpool???????.1 title
Leicester City????..1 title (won it the year they were promoted from Championship)
Blackburn Rovers??.1 title

1. Premier League (Formed in 1992). Before this it was called something different and teams go back 100+ years.
2. English Championship (I like Blackburn Rovers who won Premier League in
3. League one (I follow Bolton who used to be in the Premier league and fell all the way to League two)
4. League two
5. National League
6. National League North & Nation League South.
7. Northern Premier League Premier Division, Southern Football League Central
8. Northern Premier League Division One East, Northern Premier League Division One Midlands, Northern Premier League Division One West, Southern Football League Division One East, Southern Football League Division One West, Isthmian League Division One North, Isthmian League Division One South Central and Isthmian League Division One South East

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

Hope this helps. I am sure I am missing something.
This is just the league? there are Champions leagues were top 4 teams from each country?s top league play a schedule.
Chelsea won this last season.

FA cup is cool. All English teams are in a pool and play till 1 is left standing (Leicester city defending champs)
This has been around for over 100 years.

I started rooting for Chelsea in the 1990?s before I knew they were one of the blue bloods of English soccer. I still root for them
Over the other top teams.
I like Leicester city now the most.
I like Blackburn rovers in the championship
I like Bolton Wanderers in League one

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob!

Your welcome.
I love the relegation system in soccer. It?s so cool. If you?re one of the bottom 3 teams it?s Bye bye !

Everyone thinks soccer is boring but I like it. Gives me something to watch early on Saturday and Sunday Also I you can dvr the games and fast forward to the goals and the last 15 minutes on a one goal games.

Back