Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

QB Starter(s) Named

thewolverines24

Put this in the captains thread, but probably deserves its own.

HHneIwxGmIpgl33ysUL2LXZboM_mdEaUb5tmENlv61GFjhSgjIq-wa-oiU45xTPCH7QbP4DE29I7-b5rwPD_lc_0wWN0zc4_FLfhRXYMbnn8vnUljK-tHgmQnkNFQAw31VbABnicFsfgmpquR4fxV5XA5xWGqvefgMjNn259_0GGjNQETBt7j4xBty_MIzcSXSz7EmS8kIL3-SOsVGGGew_JENRoJluKOKV1MwglNq96uRCjmFggHvwWneu35ktfaz7t23V4fk2YSY0jfQ5Sy2LaaOLqOFk1r6UYhOxP67ZnuQwhYW_zss73iFtzrABwahLo_sIfW1599c22b-NZPyqZ6MNH5o-grmFzWwdRIr3l3-qeJXUqJLctAen9Q4O03RFjf_GBZaJmiQIdbY6apzPaTONOUSAlNgHGkufj6DXptN4kmyyTT_aTTKuFQSHAAyjm1hLiTnBbkkbzVelJO7m_EDFtl7bJcq1pudKMBxVTcZ1FhtYnmST9iMcFVeoGt8KABjUi2r0H34kV3K38RyZJmaYXdeWHPOqEX1rgrEIM9meDre9pbqdfSb4qg8pBhSLmP7uzuUJktAsUdGnzdnV0Mj_Ja7nq-uZfbcA-4imZ66mQ_Bs-Q8T5lTOUQ7gmqSd1asOCpB9gDPzhtXhwWapJtz45Ek0eHNTyk4i1M8Vk61cW5dfgfGrmil6abagSimk3Gz-CaiCopauGtABAEpdGxbCrEO2oLOZZyaaOEuDswczd0dFB8fIJC8eSf1o=w501-h625-no

We have made a decision.

And that decision is to wait to make a decision until week 3.

I'd rather they just named Cade McNamara starter and risked JJ transferring.

Assuming both opponents are roughly equal, this might tell us who's better, but probably not. No real test in either case. If JJ puts up better numbers, it won't mean he's the better option against legit opponents, but it will mean all the loudmouths will constantly demand we put him in every time Cade throws an incomplete pass.

I'd rather they just named Cade McNamara starter and risked JJ transferring.

Assuming both opponents are roughly equal, this might tell us who's better, but probably not. No real test in either case. If JJ puts up better numbers, it won't mean he's the better option against legit opponents, but it will mean all the loudmouths will constantly demand we put him in every time Cade throws an incomplete pass.

I like Cade a lot, but he had his struggles last year. Our rushing attack was great/lethal, but having 9 games under 200 yards passing from Cade isn't a very balanced offense. Do I think he'll be improved this year? Absolutely. He was a brand new starter last year (only had around 9 total drives in 2020), so this feels like it should be the 1st year starter to 2nd year starter leap for him.

If JJ wasn't so talented, this wouldn't be a competition. I really like the way Harbaugh broke down the competition on Jansen's podcast:

"And the way I?ve been evaluating them is, them being able to be a passer, by passer or arm talent, who can make all the throws. Both of them have the arm talent to make all the throws and it comes down to accuracy, timing, decision-making. Taking what the defense gives you as a passer. Cade?s a little bit ahead there at this point.

Then the next category is playmaker. A guy that can turn water into wine, his athleticism, his speed, arm talent. A runner, a scrambler. Plays smart, makes a play when there?s no play to be made. Running ability, moves the chains as a runner, augments the running game. The risk-reward, turn a one-yard loss into a positive play. But doesn?t make the bad play worse, avoids the fumbles, the interceptions, the sacks. I have J.J. ahead in that category

And then field general, coach on the field, facilitator to the other playmakers and the offensive line. You trust them to handle the ball and every plays, he?s a ball protector, fix the calls, the formation, the protections, gets the checks right, leads the unit drive-by-drive and points-per?possession really is what you?re looking for. A lot of that is ? they?re both pretty even there in that category. Maybe Cade the slight advantage there. But in totality, it?s neck and neck as far as what they?ve done in practice, so you need to see it in the game, because that?s where it really separates. Points-per-drive is the thing that you look to the closest at, but the situation?s ? red-zone efficiency, two-minute efficiency, third-down efficiency. And that really needs, in my opinion, to be played out in the ball games ? who is the best, who is the quarterback that?s gonna give us the best opportunity?

By the time we get that third game, fourth game, both are considered starters here. And that?s it. The only motive, the only intent is what?s best for the 2022 Michigan football team."

Last edited:
Back