Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Cormac McCarthy

Michchamp

Link. He was 89.

A man who looked at humanity and saw only a very dark side of it.

I suppose it's something that his most positive novel was The Road...

He also wrote the novel "No Country For Old Men" which the Coen Bros adopted into a really good movie.

He was in both of the Big League movies with Charlie Sheen, and he played the white guy?s dad on that cable TV show Psychic with that one black guy and that white guy.

The girlfriend on that show ended up playing the last girlfriend on that show that the guy from that last 70?s show who replaced Charlie Sheen, was shtupping on that show he replaced Charlie Sheen on. On the psychic show, her character had a classic name from literature, maybe it was Cleopatra or Guinevere, I don?t know.

Weird that Bob has not replied to this, think he had McCarthy as his favorite author in another thread here

I have never heard of this author. I guess he didn't want me to anyway.

I have never heard of this author. I guess he didn't want me to anyway.

Wow, really? No Country For Old Men was a really good adaption.

I read two of his books, The Road and Blood Meridian.

The Road was a bestseller, also made into a movie (also good), both made less than 20 years ago. Blood Meridian was great. Had some mindblowing parts, where I was like "Holy shit"... but he dwelt on the violent and depraved side of mankind. Not exactly as an endorsement, but an indictment.

Wow, really? No Country For Old Men was a really good adaption.

I read two of his books, The Road and Blood Meridian.

The Road was a bestseller, also made into a movie (also good), both made less than 20 years ago. Blood Meridian was great. Had some mindblowing parts, where I was like "Holy shit"... but he dwelt on the violent and depraved side of mankind. Not exactly as an endorsement, but an indictment.

I read his linked obit and it said he shunned notoriety. I didn't know about the book No Country for Old Men.

Based on your explanation of his "based" themes in his books, seems like he'd be in the same Venn as James Ellroy.

Last edited:
I read his linked obit and it said he shunned notoriety. I didn't know about the book No Country for Old Men.

Based on your explanation of his "based" themes in his books, seems like he'd be in the same Venn as James Ellroy.

I don't know; maybe.

His work was less accessible, less "pop" than James Ellroy, and focused on bigger issues than crime... more like the criminal element of all mankind. Hard to explain the difference succinctly. He's not religious per se, but there's a mystic element to it.

His books are very violent, but not in a gratuitous sense; You don't come away with the impression he's writing snuff to sell books, like "true crime" writers do, more like showing "this is a side of ourselves we don't like to own up to."

Weird that Bob has not replied to this, think he had McCarthy as his favorite author in another thread here

Lately my eyes just don?t look at many different threads at the lower end. Sorry I missed this thread .Just like I missed his death a few months back. He finished his last two books The Passenger which I am struggling with to finish and Stella Maris which I have yet to start.

I blame you tube videos.

McCarthy died at his home in Santa Fe on June 13, 2023, at the age of 89.[99][100][101][102] Stephen King said McCarthy was "maybe the greatest American novelist of my time ... He was full of years and created a fine body of work, but I still mourn his passing."[

Last edited:
My two favorite authors were Jim Harrison and Cormac McCarthy. I also like the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child and lately with his brother Andrew child.

I do like a lot of Sfy writers?no particular order.
Clark, Asimov, Haldeman, Banks,Bradbury, Dick, many others.

Back