Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Salary Cap Set at 182.5mil

detroit1811

The NFL's 2021 salary cap will be $182.5 million per team.
The official cap is about $500,000 less than what teams were expecting, and a marked drop off from 2020's cap of $198.2 million. The NFLPA told its reps this week that this year?s cap would have dropped to about $155 million if all COVID-related losses had been taken into account. That would have been disastrous for a number of teams. ESPN's Dan Graziano said the NFLPA negotiated a cap ?floor? of $175 million last summer to guard against such a scenario. Dak Prescott's front-loaded deal is a sign that the 2022 salary cap will be far higher than this year's number. Free agents this year could opt for more one-year contracts in hopes of signing more lucrative long-term deals after the salary cap climbs in 2022.

I think the NFL has the best system. I think the players and owners pretty much split the revenue. I think it's 48-52 in favor of the owners. If the salary cap goes down then the owners just pocket more of the revenue. I don't really care if they do, but it certainly will cause a strike or labor dispute.

I like the NFL system, though I wish the NFL offered guaranteed contracts. They should. This is the toughest sport on the planet to play and the long term toll it takes on the body requires long term care for a lot of these guys.

But I like the hard cap. Way better than in baseball or basketball that have no cap, just penalties. Baseball especially should institute a hard cap so small market teams have a regular chance. It gets so tiring watching every big time player signing/being traded to the same 8-10 teams.

I like the NFL system, though I wish the NFL offered guaranteed contracts. They should. This is the toughest sport on the planet to play and the long term toll it takes on the body requires long term care for a lot of these guys.

But I like the hard cap. Way better than in baseball or basketball that have no cap, just penalties. Baseball especially should institute a hard cap so small market teams have a regular chance. It gets so tiring watching every big time player signing/being traded to the same 8-10 teams.

it is a misconception that the NFL doesn't offer guaranteed contracts, they do. It's just that they aren't very common. The reason they don't is because of the high injury rate, which makes sense.

Guaranteed contracts arent rare in the NFL. Just depends how many years you are guaranteed. Players need to be smarter. They sign long term deals then whine and cry when they are locked in after their guarantees are over. Sign a contract only for how long you are guaranteed. Then you can either hit FA or sign a new deal that guarantees more years.

Based on?

My guess is because just what 4 years ago Stafford signed his extension that made him the highest paid player ever at 27mil AAV. Now just 4 years later you have a QB making 45mil AAV. That is a 66.7% increase in 4 years.

I honestly don't care how much in increases, but it definitely has skyrocketed in recent years.

My guess is because just what 4 years ago Stafford signed his extension that made him the highest paid player ever at 27mil AAV. Now just 4 years later you have a QB making 45mil AAV. That is a 66.7% increase in 4 years.

I honestly don't care how much in increases, but it definitely has skyrocketed in recent years.

well, Mahomes is 66.7% better than Stafford ;)

Back