Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Score Prediction Thread: Week 0, College Football Aperitivo

Michchamp

In Italy, an Aperitivo is a beverage enjoyed before a meal to stimulate the appetite. Its history goes back to Roman times, when meals were usually preceded by honey-flavored wines, a custom dating back to ancient Greece (link). If you've been following along with our kickoff countdown thread, you'd know REAL college football doesn't start for ten (10) more days, or until Noon on September 2, 2023 to be precise.

However, there will be technically be some "college football" games played this weekend, and so we can get a little more prepared for real football with this score prediction thread. Maybe.

The full slate of "Week 0" games is here. They pretty much all suck, no Big Ten teams are playing (I don't count USC yet), although there are two (2) potential CFB Playoff teams active, out of the seven (7) games being played. We hate both of them.

Game 1 - Navy vs. #13 Notre Dame, 2:30 P.M. Eastern, NBC;this game is being played at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland. Line: ND -20 1/2; o/u 50.5.

I think everyone is familiar with ND's spotty 2022 record. Navy was 4-8, under 15th year (!!) coach Ken Niumatalolo. However, 5 of their 8 losses were by a 7 pts or less. Sagarin has them pegged at #90, in his
preliminary rankings and would have this as a 21 pt. ND win.

Game 2 - San Jose at #6 USC, 8:00 P.M. Eastern, PAC12 Network; Line: USC -30.5; o/u 66.5.

If you like high scoring, defense-optional football, and have the PAC12 Network, this is "must see TV" (idiot). Like Notre Dame, I think everyone knows how USC's season went (and ended). But it actually ended worse than you might remember; yes they choked in the 2nd half against Utah in the PAC12 title game, getting outscored 30-7. But then... they lost to Mid-Major #16 Tulane in the Cotton Bowl. Tulane scored 16 pts. in the final 4:30:00 of game time to come from behind.

San Jose St. went 7-5 (5-3) last year. They lost to the only Power 5 conference opponent they played (Auburn), and also to Brady Hoke's San Diego State team.

Sagarin would have this as a 22 pt. USC win (so take San Jose St. and the pts?)

e217b0d9702067b7265374faa63b07f1--cheerleader-skirt-school-cheerleading.jpg

When was the last time there were Song Girls in Michigan Stadium? I guess the 2024 Big Ten slate is still being worked out, but the 2024 UM/USC game appears to be in LA. We'll have to wait a few more years. We appear to get UCLA at home.

SO go ahead and make predictions for these two games, and post some analysis if you so choose. However, since Michigan isn't playing, I don't think it matters if anyone wants to woof and bark at eachother in this thread...

Halftime:

ND.....28
Navy....0

that upset doesn't appear likely...

Cbs sports' write up noted Navy had a new 1st year HC. I had no idea. site I checked still had the other guy listed.

I'll do better scouting when real football starts next Saturday.

USC won 56-28, which was marginally "close" to my 52-6 prediction.

Back