Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should Lions draft a kicker

zyxt9

The FG game this year has been pretty bad. And yes, they can roll the dice on getting a K after the draft. However, sometimes there is a kicker worth drafting.

IF the Lions decided to draft one, who and in which round?

Ks have a solid legacy in Detroit, so obviously if they draft one the guy has quite a bit to live up to.

Yes, I am UM biased here, but I am thinking Moody would be worth using a 6th Round pick, if he is still available. He has above average leg strength and accuracy.

I have not researched this to see if another option is better, just kicking the idea around.

Yes they absolutely should, the team K situation is horrendous

Yes. Kickers now are so important. There are 10 good ones and then it seems like all the other teams rotate through the 40 or so other Kickers depending on who has a good game/year.

Justin Tucker has won Baltimore a number of games over the last 7 years. 2 against the Lions with 60+ yarders.

Detroit went from Murray to Hanson to Prater. Unusual to have a K not doing well.

Given that so many later picks never play a down in the NFL, I say yes, draft a kicker. Jason Hanson was the 56th pick of the 1992 draft.

Given that so many later picks never play a down in the NFL, I say yes, draft a kicker. Jason Hanson was the 56th pick of the 1992 draft.
Unfortunately I don't believe Detroit can afford to draft a K in the 2nd round. They have to get better first.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't believe Detroit can afford to draft a K in the 2nd round. They have to get better first.

Did not mean to suggest that the Lions draft a K that high. 4th round tops with all the added picks they have from R 4-7 in 2022.

Last edited:
Detroit went from Murray to Hanson to Prater. Unusual to have a K not doing well.

We also had David Akers if I remember correctly and he was alright and then we drafted Nate Freese who was terrible and got cut mi-season and I think we even grabbed someone else before we got Prater. Was definitely a rough patch.

Honestly I think Austin Seibert has done well, just hasn't been available. I wouldnt draft one before the 7th round.

I don't know who the best kickers in the NFL are, but sorting them by FG%

Boswell, undrafted
Gay, 5th
Tucker, undrafted
Folk, 6th
Gonzalez, 7th
Elliot, 5th
Carlson, 5th
Koo, undrafted
Gano, undrafted
Bass, 6th

So it appears most are in agreement that drafting a K is a decent decision... but who and which round is still up in the air.

Based on seeing several Ks selected in R5, I guess my hope that Moody makes it to R6 is a bit off? Should Lions target their choice of K with their R5 pick?

So it appears most are in agreement that drafting a K is a decent decision... but who and which round is still up in the air.

Based on seeing several Ks selected in R5, I guess my hope that Moody makes it to R6 is a bit off? Should Lions target their choice of K with their R5 pick?

Looking at some pre draft rankings, Moody is ranked as high as the #2 kicker but some don't even have him in the top 5.

Very rarely do two kickers get drafted in a single draft. If he is the 2nd best kicker he will likely be there in the 6th or 7th. Maybe even undrafted.

Back