Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartan Stadium turf after rain

zyxt9

As I don't follow MSU very much, I know Spartain Stadium is grass but I don't know if the amount of rain hitting the area might result in a sloppy field.

I think this would make for one hell of an old fashioned muddy slop fest between 2 solid running teams and defenses that play well against the run. Is there a chance this field turns into one of those throw back mud bowl games??? Would love to see a tackle that results in guys sliding 5+ yards, haven't seen that kind of game in a very long time.

Appreciate your insight.

They dropped the field about 10 ft sometime in the 90s but it?s nowhere near as low as uofm?s field - I forget where I heard this but uofm gave up on turf and went back the artificial surface due the cost and difficulty maintaining a turf field so close th the water table. I think the drainage is really good at Spartan Stadium so I doubt it will be that bad - although I have no idea how much rain they?re getting.

By the way, was this always going to be a noon game? Wasn?t it originally scheduled for 7pm and if so, when did they bump it? I feel like we were talking about a Halloween night game early on - was that just speculation?

The powers that be really missed the boat in not making this a night game IMO.

I do not recall if they had previously slotted it for prime time, but they definitely had the option to slot it wherever they wanted due to it being THE game of the week.

Maybe the B1G wanted the old standard time of noon for such a classic game in a top echelon rivalry. I'm still hoping UM wears the blue pants with their white jersey like they did at Wisky, it was a very nice look. I saw MSU is going with a new darker shade of green that has only white trim and highlights. As much as I like the traditional unis, I liked this option for their Alt jersey look.

As for the weather, I only know it is supposed to rain like all night and morning, possibly even into the 1st quarter. I was figuring if that overwhelmed the drainage systems, the field might turn to slop. Obviously much depends on the amount of rain that falls, but I was hoping it might turn into one of those really messy games where every uniform is so covered in mud you can't tell which player is on which team, guys can't keep their footing, tacklers have to use force to tackle because wrapping up is as effective as catching a greased pig, kickers have their plant foot slide out and they fall flat on their back.

Old school Midwestern football that is only bested by games in blizzard conditions.

Back