Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The coaching search

johnny2x2x

There is definitely a list and the targets have been contacted.

Duke coach Mike Elko is at the top of the list. I expect he's going to get an interview.

Jake Dickert from WAZu is another option. Jonathan Smith at Oregon State. Lance Leopold at Kansas. Charles Huff at Marshall. Those are probably the top 5. Each has their own strengths and any could be a good hire.

And then there's the Urban Meyer business. What started as a message board joke has evolved. And now it's been confirmed that Urban Meyer was at Michigan State this week to talk about the job. Obviously he comes with some baggage, but at this point, who cares, we aren't going to get a fair shake from the media no matter who we hire, so why not go after the biggest winner? Meyer has won everywhere he went in college football. He's done it at every level. Went 17-6 at Bowling Green. 22-2 at Utah. Won 2 Natties at Florida and another at Ohio State.

The part about Urban that I'd be most enthusiastic about is that he wouldn't accpet the job unless he had guarantees from donors that we're going to pay enough NIL to land top 10 classes here. But he's probably still a long shot.

I'd love Elko or Huff. Dickert or Leopold would be solid. Smith probably isn't leaving his alma mater.

In reality, Tugger tugging his way out of a $95M contract is a godsend. More has come out about his being checked out for a good year and getting rid of him now is best for the team. And it's a really opportune time to hire a coach. Virtually all of the bigger programs have coaches locked in and there are perhaps 10 really qualified guys we can have pur pick from to hire. Probably best to hope TAMU does well and Jimbo keeps his job and for Saban to not retire.

Last edited:
Welcome back Johnny, we've been wondering where you've been and longing for the inside scoop on why this team sucks so badly (and missing you're economic updates on the politics board for a few months now). Weird how you seem to disappear for weeks at a time or more when your predictions blow up or MSU takes a huge dump on the field. At least we get these insider gems and your erudite insights on the coaching search.

If we can't get Meyer, we should go after Saban and if we fail to get him we should just fold the program and repurpose the stadium for the women's ultimate frisbee team.

Last edited:
Of course we'll probably do something dumb like hire Barnett with his obvious track record of zero success. I don't find Huff's resume particularly impressive, the guy gets a new job pretty much every year since 2009 and the longest job he had was as RB coach for mediocre Penn State teams. Plus he looks like Megamind if Megamind had a bigger forehead. Seriously, his forehead could double as a drive-in movie theater.

I don't want anything to do with Urban Meyer (or Nick Saban) and it doesn't matter because he's not seriously considering the job, but none of these other guys are particularly intriguing to me either.

I'll just wait and see what happens, and complain about it later when it blows up.

Last edited:
That's the most ridiculous post you've made yet. There is zero chance Urban or any current power 5 coach is coming here. You and the rcmb dingbats need to come to grips with the fact that we'll get a MAC or some other mid conference coach because this job isn't what you all make it out to be.

That's the most ridiculous post you've made yet. There is zero chance Urban or any current power 5 coach is coming here. You and the rcmb dingbats need to come to grips with the fact that we'll get a MAC or some other mid conference coach because this job isn't what you all make it out to be.

It's not, but if we throw another $9M/year out there it gets a lot more attractive.

How many times a year can we hit Ishbia up for $$$$? Time for another phone call.

Not to take Johnny's side here, because I'm not and I want to point out how hilarious it is when you do a little digging and realize the source for "confirming Meyer was in E Lansing" is private jet traffic between Columbus, OH and Lansing, MI. It's the same garbage that had him convinced Luke Fickell was a done deal.

Anyway, why isn't the job higher profile? I agree the perception is that it's not but why is that? By every metric, it's a really solid gig:

12th in the nation in revenue, 4th in B1G
17th nationally in TV ratings, 5th in B1G
20th in country in attendance, only 7th in B1G but Spartan Stadium isn't even in the top 20 in capacity
10th in country in assistant coach salary pool, 2nd in B1G
16th nationally in NFL draft picks, 5th in B1G

Obviously there's the issue of being surrounded by PSU, OSU, ND and uofm and we have the problem with the home state and Detroit media doing all they can to keep MSU's status being elevated above "also ran", but this should be a job that top coaches want. Getting rid of the divisions so we don't play the 2 or 3 best teams in the conference every year should make it even more attractive.

Last edited:
I know this guy is probably to old (62) but he has built a winner at Ferris State. He completely flipped the FSU verses Grand valley State rivalry and has won back to back Dll national titles, and may be headed for a third championship in row..

Tony Annese would cost half of what a lot of these guys would have to be paid. He knows the state of Michigan. Maybe it?s not high profile enough idk. The guy can coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Annese

I know this guy is probably to old (62) but he has built a winner at Ferris State. He completely flipped the FSU verses Grand valley State rivalry and has won back to back Dll national titles, and may be headed for a third championship in row..

Tony Annese would cost half of what a lot of these guys would have to be paid. He knows the state of Michigan. Maybe it?s not high profile enough idk. The guy can coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Annese

Wow.

He coached at Ann Arbor Pioneer.

Not that I think there's any chance he's coming to MSU, nor do I want him but hypothetically speaking if Meyer took the MSU job, how long do you think it would take him to pass Harbaugh in wins vs. Ohio State? As of now, he's behind by 1 with a much better overall record of 1-0.

Last edited:
Not that I think there's any chance he's coming to MSU, nor do I want him but hypothetically speaking if Meyer took the MSU job, how long do you think it would take him to pass Harbaugh in wins vs. Ohio State? As of now, he's behind by 1 with a much better overall record of 1-1.

You dwell on that for as long as necessary.

You dwell on that for as long as necessary.

I already figured it out. It depends on if he goes to a team with a protected rivalry w/ osu. If he goes to MSU (which again, he won't) and they have a protected rivalry when the conference gets rid of divisions (they prob won?t) then I?d set the over/under at 2.5 years, 3.5 if you don't count the time he beat OSU when he was at Florida.

Last edited:
Back