Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The problem on offense...

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
I don't ever see anyone talking about this - not even the so called experts.

Our WRs really struggle to get open. Talk all offseason was about how great our WR core would be, how fast they are. Wilson, Bell, Johnson and a bunch of young guys that can really play. Where has it been? How many times have we seen JJ just stand in the pocket waiting for someone to get open? How many times has he been forced to throw into coverage?

I could put blame on JJ but whenever I see highlights that show the whole field, the WRs can't get open. I don't know if its bad play design or bad route running, but it needs to be fixed. JJ should have lit MSU up yesterday and whenever he dropped back to pass, it looked like a struggle to find anyone open.

Tell me I'm not the only one seeing this.

i thought Andrel Anthony would be more involved. He should be if we ever need a more dynamic offense. Johnson just isnt it....

But honestly...we line up and pound the rock which opens a lot of the underneath stuff to the TEs. Its more on the system than the personnel imo.

I never thought our WR corps were considered great. They're "serviceable"

We really haven't had great WR's since Tarik Black & Donovan Peoples-Jones, and we squandered those years

I think it's the offensive system. We've had zero WRs ever hit 1000 yards in Harbaugh's system. Darboh in 2016 is the only WR to exceed 800 yards.

i thought Andrel Anthony would be more involved. He should be if we ever need a more dynamic offense. Johnson just isnt it....

But honestly...we line up and pound the rock which opens a lot of the underneath stuff to the TEs. Its more on the system than the personnel imo.

Yeah, but even when we spread out with 4 or 5 WR, it's the same result. Nobody open downfield, not even "nfl open". Sparty has an atrocious pass Defense and they shut our WRs down.

Only two WR caught passes for positive yards...Bell 4 for 53 yards and Johnson 1 for 7 yards.

I?m worried about it. The only selling point we have in recruiting is we will make you a better blocking wide out. Most top guys may not want that.

It?s Harbaugh way of lulling Osu to sleep. Psychologically, it makes Ryan Day believe UM has no air skill. When in fact they?re keeping it to a minimum. If they can win by pushing it down field and grinding out time then let it be. Watch what happens on the 26th. Go Blue!

It?s Harbaugh way of lulling Osu to sleep. Psychologically, it makes Ryan Day believe UM has no air skill. When in fact they?re keeping it to a minimum. If they can win by pushing it down field and grinding out time then let it be. Watch what happens on the 26th. Go Blue!

I do believe that Harbaugh like to use as little of a playbook as possible to beat the opponent on hand, but that has to hurt recruiting of top level recruits. The best receivers want a long highlight real to showcase their skills. It?s so strange that there is zero vertical threat from our offense. Man if we hit a few every game, the run game would be even more deadly lol

I do believe that Harbaugh like to use as little of a playbook as possible to beat the opponent on hand, but that has to hurt recruiting of top level recruits. The best receivers want a long highlight real to showcase their skills. It?s so strange that there is zero vertical threat from our offense. Man if we hit a few every game, the run game would be even more deadly lol

Totally agree.

We had this same argument last season.

Trust me, we'll all be happier if we win our games easily without throwing for a lot of yards than if we lose games or win ugly games but throw for a lot of yards.

I also wanted to see more passing Saturday, against MSU's lousy pass defense, but in the end, I'm happier we beat them to a pulp the way we did, with Corum picking up 6 ypc, rather than risking INTs or stalled drives trying to throw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really worried about OSU. I expect the bottom to fall out the same way it did during the Don Brown Era. The defensive adjustments have been "double the guy that's beating us" which isn't going to work against OSU. This offense needs to be able to throw the ball to keep up or it is going to be another bloodbath.

I am really worried about OSU. I expect the bottom to fall out the same way it did during the Don Brown Era. The defensive adjustments have been "double the guy that's beating us" which isn't going to work against OSU. This offense needs to be able to throw the ball to keep up or it is going to be another bloodbath.

To be fair, we all said that last year, too. But, this year seems different. We're at their toilet bowl stadium and we won't have the crowd support we did last year to keep us going.

I don't ever see anyone talking about this - not even the so called experts.

Our WRs really struggle to get open. Talk all offseason was about how great our WR core would be, how fast they are. Wilson, Bell, Johnson and a bunch of young guys that can really play. Where has it been? How many times have we seen JJ just stand in the pocket waiting for someone to get open? How many times has he been forced to throw into coverage?

I could put blame on JJ but whenever I see highlights that show the whole field, the WRs can't get open. I don't know if its bad play design or bad route running, but it needs to be fixed. JJ should have lit MSU up yesterday and whenever he dropped back to pass, it looked like a struggle to find anyone open.

Tell me I'm not the only one seeing this.

JJ is an attention whore. He stands there in the pocket NOT throwing to open receivers because he knows as long he?s in the pocket not throwing the ball, everybody will be focusing on him.

He?s like Madonna, and Giselle, and Cher - does anybody else notice that classical attention whores don?t have last names?

JJ doesn?t even have a first name - how much more of an attention whore can you get?

JJ is an attention whore. He stands there in the pocket NOT throwing to open receivers because he knows as long he?s in the pocket not throwing the ball, everybody will be focusing on him.

He?s like Madonna, and Giselle, and Cher - does anybody else notice that classical attention whores don?t have last names?

JJ doesn?t even have a first name - how much more of an attention whore can you get?

I haven't seen this insight being talked about either.

If MSU was smart, they would've brought a mirror to the game and held it up to JJ to distract him with his own image

If MSU was smart, they would've brought a mirror to the game and held it up to JJ to distract him with his own image

Yep.

And if pigs had wings, they could fly.

To be fair, we all said that last year, too. But, this year seems different. We're at their toilet bowl stadium and we won't have the crowd support we did last year to keep us going.

At the Shoe, the Buckeyes do have that 12th man.

I?m not talking about crowd - I?m talking about the officials.

Yep.

And if pigs had wings, they could fly.

instead they decided to fight our players 10-on-1 in the tunnel after the game.

a strategy so crazy it just might work, except it didn't, and you don't score points for beating the shit out of people after the game is over, that is a crime and you go to jail... especially when everyone and their brother carries video cameras in their pocket

I also noticed this about JJ. During that game with the girl ref it seemed like they were talking between every play and she would reach out and touch him on the arm or chest and stuff. I bet OSU is going to have her on the officiating crew to distract him during The Game. I suspect they have been planning this all season. Dirty bastards!

Back