Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tibs vs Hutch

zyxt9

I, like most, have been projecting Tibs to be the Lions pick at #1... but I am curious if others are beginning to think the Lions should pick Hutch instead?

Hutch has played his way into a Top5, possibly Top2 spot as I'm now seeing sites listing him as the #2 pick (or 1B to Tibs being 1A).

Is that media hype due to UM playing well? Is Hutch potentially a legit #1 pick? Say Tibs has a season ending injury and is projected to not be available till October or later, something that would likely take him out of the #1 (or 1A) spot... should the Lions take Hutch at #1 in that scenario?

If both stay healthy, does it maybe come down to their performances at the Combine? Or does Hutch being 1" taller and 10 lbs heavier give him the slightest of advantages if they were to show equal performances in the Combine?

Not saying any of this as a UM fan, this is solely about what is best for the Lions. I honestly had hoped early in the year that Hutch would be available with the Rams pick as I felt having both these guys would be an amazing combo, but Hutch has gone way up on the boards since then.

does it really matter...it's the Lions. They will make the wrong choice.

If I were them, I would be hoping someone falls in love with a QB. Or, maybe the Eagles fall in love with Tibs. Eagles should have 2 top 10 picks this year.

I did see a CBS mock that had the Lions taking Tibs #1 and Chris Olave with the Ram pick. That would be a great start to a draft.

Heck the Giants and Jets also appear to be slotted for 2 top 10 picks at the moment (last I saw anyway). Can't imagine any team trading 2 top 10s to be #1 this year. Lions always miss on such opportunities it seems. This year just does not have that 1 mega-super-instant All Pro Can't Miss type that everyone is drooling over.

Heck the Giants and Jets also appear to be slotted for 2 top 10 picks at the moment (last I saw anyway). Can't imagine any team trading 2 top 10s to be #1 this year. Lions always miss on such opportunities it seems. This year just does not have that 1 mega-super-instant All Pro Can't Miss type that everyone is drooling over.

It?s going to be near impossible to trade out of #1 in this upcoming draft. The Lions are probably stuck with it, hope they make the correct pick.

It?s going to be near impossible to trade out of #1 in this upcoming draft. The Lions are probably stuck with it, hope they make the correct pick.

I don't think so. Every year, someone falls in love with a QB. If Rodgers doesn't end up in Denver, the Broncos will need a QB. Carolina CERTAINLY needs someone. Darnold and Cam are not gonna do it. Dolphins seem desperate to shop Tua to ANYONE that might be interested, it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking. The Giants currently hold the 6th and 8th overall picks.....there is no way they are happy with Danny Dimes. Philly currently holds the 5th, 10th and 15th picks. If they fall in love with one of the QB's (maybe the guy from Pitt?) they have the ammo to move.

Detroit needs one too, and that's a good thing if you're trying to trade out. It only takes 2 teams to fall in love with one guy. I think the Lions will have options out of the #1 slot if they want them.

Ive seen Karlaftis go #1 in several picks as well. That said i dont see anyone trading up to #1 for a DE. It will be a QB someone falls in love with....if at all.

I don't think so. Every year, someone falls in love with a QB. If Rodgers doesn't end up in Denver, the Broncos will need a QB. Carolina CERTAINLY needs someone. Darnold and Cam are not gonna do it. Dolphins seem desperate to shop Tua to ANYONE that might be interested, it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking. The Giants currently hold the 6th and 8th overall picks.....there is no way they are happy with Danny Dimes. Philly currently holds the 5th, 10th and 15th picks. If they fall in love with one of the QB's (maybe the guy from Pitt?) they have the ammo to move.

Detroit needs one too, and that's a good thing if you're trying to trade out. It only takes 2 teams to fall in love with one guy. I think the Lions will have options out of the #1 slot if they want them.

I don?t see it happening as of right now, but we?ll see how the bowls and combine influence this. Nobody is going to trade into 1 unless they think they?re getting a superstar and no one has emerged to that level just yet IMO.

Draft order behind the Lions is going to matter too, need to build the fear that a guy won?t last past 2 or 3. Would be nice to see the Jets and Jags play their way into the back half of the top 10.

does it really matter...it's the Lions. They will make the wrong choice.

If I were them, I would be hoping someone falls in love with a QB. Or, maybe the Eagles fall in love with Tibs. Eagles should have 2 top 10 picks this year.

I did see a CBS mock that had the Lions taking Tibs #1 and Chris Olave with the Ram pick. That would be a great start to a draft.

Holmes did well with Sewell. So there is some faith for a good pick at 1.

But we'll see if any is desperate for a QB and falls in love. Need both really for someone to move to 1. Some QB needy teams have the ammo. I hope Hurts, Daniel Jones, Darnold/Cam, Bridgewater, and Tua all look beyond awful these last 7-8 games. And Watson goes to jail

Take the pass rusher. Whether its at 1 or you can find a way to move down to 3-5....you take a pass rusher. KY > Hutchinson > Karlaftis would be my order but all 3 could end up top 5 prospects.

Theres a lot of QB talent in next years draft. Maybe not super star top end talent....but a lot of quality talent. A guy like Sam Howell is going to drop to the top of rd 2. Pickett may drop to the Rams pick. There will be options later if you think you need a QB. GOOF will still be on the roster and youre paying him $25 mil to hand off...good job Holmes.

Personally Id go
1a DE
1b WR
2a QB...if you love a guy still on the board. If not go S or CB.

Last edited:
Saw a mock that had Lions taking Dax Hill with the 1b... i do not think that is the best option. Maybe with the R2 pick, but that also is concerning due to the Lions history of R2 picks ending up so horribly bad so I don't want to jinx whomever they pick with that one.

Back