Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Athletics Game 156 September 24 2023

byco42

Game time: 4:07 p.m. Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum

ESPN Gameday

Tigers SP: Eduardo Rodriguez 11-9 3.57 1.17
Athletics SP: JP Sears 5-12 4.52 1.25

Detroit Tigers (72-83) -10.0 3rd ALC 6-4 L2

RF M. Vierling R
LF Andy Ibanez R
1B S. Torkelson R
DH M. Cabrera R
C Jake Rogers R
3B Tyler Nevin R
SS Javier Baez R
2B Zack Short R
CF P. Meadows L

Oakland Athletics (48-107) -37.0 5th ALW 2-8 W2

LF Esteury Ruiz R
2B Zack Gelof R
RF Brent Rooker R
3B Aledmys Diaz R
DH S. Langeliers R
1B Ryan Noda L
C Carlos Perez R
SS Kevin Smith R
CF L. Butler L

0%
68? Wind 9 mph Out
LINE DET -135
O/U 8.0 Runs

BR Game Notes

Freep Sports

Eduardo Rodriguez has pitched like 2 different pitchers this season. Unstoppable the first half and struggling since returning from his IL stint. In his last 5 games, he's given up 4, 1, 3, 4 and 5 runs and pitched 5 innings or less in 3 of them. SOs are down, walks are up.

He's scheduled to make his 2nd to last start of the year tomorrow after having a shoulder blade issue that forced him from his last game early.

These last 2 games are crucial to his decision to opt out. If he pitches well, he's still likely to test free agency. But if he continues as he has, it may be more problematic.

Tigers official site

Justyn-Henry Malloy has drawn 110 walks, the most in the minors. The 23-year-old outfielder/third baseman in the Detroit Tigers system is slashing .280/.419/.478 with 23 home runs for Triple-A Toledo.

Jake Rogers is putting up solid power numbers this year ? the Detroit Tigers backstop has 20 bombs in 349 plate appearances ? and a college teammate now pitching for the Houston Astros is among those taking notice.

He?s having a good year,? said J.P. France, who was with Rogers at Tulane University. ?We were able to catch up for the first time since 2016 when we went Detroit, and it was awesome for us to be playing against each other in the big leagues. To this day, he?s one of the top catchers I?ve thrown to. He?s great back there. He?s also got a cannon for an arm and a good bat. On top of that, he?s a great guy. It?s exciting to see him playing well.?

Fangraphs

https://motorcitybengals.com/posts/...has-received-from-opposing-teams-01haz1h5frhp
Detroit Tigers: The 3 best retirement gifts Miguel Cabrera has received from opposing teams.
Miguel Cabrera has received a retirement gift from every team, and some of them have actually been pretty cool.
MCBTB

OTD 1974: At Memorial Stadium with his parents, family, and friends in the stands, Tigers Legendary Rightfielder Al Kaline gets his 3000th hit.
The milestone hit is a double off Oriole hurler Dave McNally in a 5 - 4 loss to the Birds. In 5 years, Kaline will become the 10th member of the Baseball Hall Of Fame voted in on the first try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X91njDARL4&ab_channel=MLB

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-vs-athletics/2023/09/24/716442/final/box
Boxscore and Highlights.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2023/9...-recap-final-score-eduardo-rodriguez-jp-sears
Tigers 2 - Athletics 0: Shared shutout secures series split.
Eduardo Rodriguez had a really nice outing, and the bullpen nailed it down. But they played with fire the whole game.
BYBTB

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...s-split-series-oakland-athletics/70953732007/
Eduardo Rodriguez sparkles as Tigers notch series split with Athletics.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ncer-torkelson-eduardo-rodriguez/70954297007/
Spencer Torkelson breaks through with bases loaded as Detroit Tigers beat Oakland A's, 2-0.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/0...tics-to-finish-final-road-trip-of-season.html
Tigers shut out Athletics to finish final road trip of season.
Mlive

Eastern division
Yankees 2-5
Baltimore 1-6
Boston 1-5
Tampa Bay 1-5
Blue jays 2-4
===============
7-25

National League
Mets 3-0
Giants 3-0
Brewers 2-1
Rockies 2-1
Cards 2-1
Pittsburgh 2-2
Philadelphia 0-3
Arizona 0-3
Dodgers 1-2
Atlanta 1-2
San Diego 1-2
Washington 1-2
Marlins 1-2
Cubs 1-2
Reds 1-2
==============
21-25

Verses West
Oakland 3-4
Texas 3-4
LAA 3-3
Seattle 3-3
Astros 3-3
=============
15-17

Verses Central
White Sox 8-5
Kansas City 7-3
Cleveland 7-3.
Minnesota 8-5.
===================
Division 30-16

Tigers Home 32-43
Tigers away 41-40
===============
Tigers overall are 73-83

Tigers 21-25 in inter league.
Tigers are 20-20 in one run game's
Tigers are 62-74 in 9 inning games.
Tigers are 10-8 in xtra inning game
========================
First half???..39-50
Second half?...34-33
=======================
Tigers by the month
Month by Month
Split W L RS RA W-L%
March 0-1 0 4 .000
April 10-16 88 131
May 16-11 116 125
June 9-18 105 132
July 12-13 108 120
Aug.13-15 110-139
Sept 13-9 96-73

15-17 verses the AL west not terrible with Teams like Seattle, Houston, and Texas.
Plus Othani.

Tork: 33 doubles. 29 home runs, 88 RBI, 66 walks. All good stuff.

Looking at the not so good stuff - terrible when swinging at the first pitch, RISP, 166 strikeouts.

Looking at the not so good stuff - terrible when swinging at the first pitch, RISP, 166 strikeouts.

The strikeouts don't bother me as long as he hits for power. But the other 2 things you mentioned he needs to get better at.

The strikeouts don't bother me as long as he hits for power. But the other 2 things you mentioned he needs to get better at.
I understand strikeouts happen especially with power hitters but 166 is just too much. There's a reason he hits .230 and with all his power numbers has a OPS+ barely above average. He's young so hopefully that changes. At least a little bit. If he's hitting 50 home runs I probably don't care so much.

E-Rod finished today?s outing with 7 shutout innings, scattering five hits w/ four walks & five strikeouts.

It marks his 6th start this season with at least 7 scoreless innings, the most by a Tigers pitcher since Justin Verlander also had six such starts in 2011.

Good, now opt out and gtfo of Detroit. The team will find someone else who isn't a head case.

how are you finding the results of him swinging at the first pitch?

how are you finding the results of him swinging at the first pitch?
I first heard it on the broadcast but later I looked at BR - you can see his stats on balls put in play on 0-0 counts. Not the whole story but Tork would be better if he just let the first pitch go by.

Last edited:
I first heard it on the broadcast but later I looked at BR - you can see his stats on balls put in play on 0-0 counts. Not the whole story but Tork would be better if he just let the first pitch go by.

gotcha

Those stats are only when he puts the ball in play. The do not include any stats where he swings at the first pitch or fouls the ball off. IMO, they are misleading. What if he fouls off a pitch, or just swings and misses, but during that AB he gets a hit?

gotcha

Those stats are only when he puts the ball in play. The do not include any stats where he swings at the first pitch or fouls the ball off. IMO, they are misleading. What if he fouls off a pitch, or just swings and misses, but during that AB he gets a hit?
I did note that. But its put in play not fouls or swings and misses but puts the ball in play. So it is flawed based on many factors but I suspect getting behind the count the numbers across the league are bad.

But hes really bad on 2-2 counts as well, worse even. That's a big surprise.

I understand strikeouts happen especially with power hitters but 166 is just too much. There's a reason he hits .230 and with all his power numbers has a OPS+ barely above average. He's young so hopefully that changes. At least a little bit. If he's hitting 50 home runs I probably don't care so much.

He got off to a pretty slow start. Kept getting better every month. His last half of his season(77 games), he hit .245 with an OPS of .847 and 21 homers. Pretty encouraging

The big split to me is his struggles with risp. That stat is usually what separate the great hitters from the pretty good hitter.

I'm hoping it's not so much him as it is the general team approach. Because everyone sucked hitting with runners on lol

Spencer Torkelson, who struck out with the bases loaded in a big situation yesterday, just got his first hit with the bases loaded (1-for-12) this season.

Two-run single.

The Tigers took a 2-0 lead over the Athletics in the third inning.

Last edited:
Torkelson's home runs, 29, are best since 2016 when Miggy hit 38. No one has gotten to 90 RBI in awhile either. Just turned 24. With that being said solid player.

Back