Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Unofficial Thoughts and Reflections on the Loss thread

Michchamp

I don't know what I'd call our offense prior to this game. we scored a lot of points, but we also had trouble at times forcing our will on other teams. Inconsistent maybe? Lack of identity?

I don't like putting Peppers in, and I'm tired of the jet sweeps and end arounds. they won't work going forward, and they definitely won't work against faster teams, or teams that scouted us well. Yesterday it seemed like the only way to beat Iowa was to out-grind them, and I cringed everytime we threw a down away on some bullshit misdirection or swing for the fences.

Maybe this was just what we needed though. It's tough to knock our playcalling when we had been consistently winning by 35+, but it seemed too gimmicky. A good ass-kicking will send us back to the drawing board, and also root out any complacency that set in.

If u figured we'd lose a game this season, this was probably the best one to lose. not to a divisional opponent, and not to Ohio State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim and his staff looked lost after the first quarter and did not adjust very well at all specially with how bad Wilton was playing . His deep ball was not there at all. They made no adjustments at all. It reminded me of Brady Hokes coaching . No underneath passing , no over the middle, no butt on 3rd and 8 when one first down is all you need .
Flea-Flicker really Wtf :
Plus do we really need to blitz so much because in the cruical moments like 4th and 5 for iowa's only td it was really unnecessary to blitz that many guys. Also the last play to get into goal range was a snapshot of the defense poor tacking issues that started in the msu game. Just like last season after the three shutouts the defense is fading with alot of tackling issues outside maybe Peppers, and a few others .

Last edited:
You watch , and I hope this dosent happen. But michigan will get punished in the rankings more then Washington, and clemson.

You watch , and I hope this dosent happen. But michigan will get punished in the rankings more then Washington, and clemson.

Agree with these posts. And it seems in the past that the pollsters have always punished Michigan more than other teams for similar losses. I expect that the relative rankings will be Clemson, Washington, Michigan. All remain in the top 10 though. Nevermind that both Clemson's and Washington's losses came at home, whereas Michigan's loss came on the road. So, what will it be? Bama, OSU, Louisville, Clemson? I hope they surprise us.

Quite honestly, not a huge deal in the long scheme. They needed to beat OSU regardless. Losing a game like this may actually help the coaches get to work to fix what is broken. They'll fall to probably 5 in the playoff race but again, really doesn't matter. Beat Indiana, OSU, and win the BTC and you have a place at the table.

But my god, they were horrible last night. But give Iowa credit, they played inspired.

I'm just sick of the disappointment. It sucks. Every time it looks like we will have a special season, we shit the bed. One national title since 1948 all while having every resource a program could dream of.

We haven't won the Big Ten in over a fucking decade. I'm sure we'll head to Columbus and get housed per usual over the last decade and a half. I'm expecting our offense to start slow, get down early, and cruise us to a three score loss.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wolverines, if they would have beat Iowa last night, I would hope that your thoughts about getting shredded by OSU would remain the same. A win by 2 wouldn't have done this team any different other than being undefeated. Their warts were exposed last night.

This season can still be very special. It's going to come down to 1 game.

I'm just sick of the disappointment. It sucks. Every time it looks like we will have a special season, we shit the bed. One national title since 1948 all while having every resource a program could dream of.

We haven't won the Big Ten in over a fucking decade. I'm sure we'll head to Columbus and get housed per usual over the last decade and a half. I'm expecting our offense to start slow, get down early, and cruise us to a three score loss.

I agree with this. This program has more money then just about any program and to only have one title since 1948 is disappointing.

I'm guessing this team finishes with at least 2 losses, because I sure as hell don't see them beating OSU in the 'Shoe.

It's weird, because recently UM has fielded crappy teams against OSU and done surprisingly well in defeat, but when they send out a good team, they sometimes end up getting punked badly (see last year, though I know that was at least partially due to injuries).

Wolverines, if they would have beat Iowa last night, I would hope that your thoughts about getting shredded by OSU would remain the same. A win by 2 wouldn't have done this team any different other than being undefeated. Their warts were exposed last night.

This season can still be very special. It's going to come down to 1 game.
A win would not change how I view this team going into Columbus. Purdue shredded Iowa's defense and we managed to make them look like the 85 Bears. That's pitiful.

Yeah agreed. They are a lot further away than we thought. But, OSU can be beat. They aren't invincible. It'll take Michigan's best game top to bottom, but the loss to Iowa gives them a chance to work out the kinks.

Last edited:
We'll be alright!! Hope everyone's calmed down since last night.

Last edited:
Supposedly a starter got into an altercation with an Iowa fan that stormed the field. Punches were thrown.. thats all I know. Great news, eh?

Only dropped 1 spot in the coach's poll, OSU moved up and Louisville to 3.

I hope that we're just overly critical, but the rest of the country seems to be a lot higher on Michigan than we all are

What I have seen of OSU they are very beatable this year, but not if Michigan plays the way the played last night, especially on D. D has not played great since the 2nd half of the MSU game. I realize Iowa only scored one TD, but given their performance this season they played far better than expected? Too many big runs given up and poor tackling continued. I have not lost hope that Michigan goes into the snake pit and comes out with a win but they are going to have to turn things around because they have been heading in the wrong direction over the last few games.

What was really frustrating was watching Evans run for 6, 7 yards on first down and then following it up with something stupid.

And when Michigan was in the red zone, what in the holy hell was that 3rd and 1 pitch back sweep to Higdon? You make the guy have to run an extra 3 yards to get the 1.

Well, this is the WTF loss for the season.

Truly elite teams don't have them. We're still a notch below.

That said, I still think we can beat OSU. We're both beatable.

Back