Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

vs. OSU

Spartanmack

I didn't see the first half this week, but apparently there's a pretty big drop-off from the #4 team in the country to the #8. back in the late Perles era, after each loss, I used to joke that we were the best "x" loss team in the country. somehow that doesn't seem as funny under these circumstances, probably because it's not even remotely close to true.

Not sure why Lombardi finally got benched - he came pretty close to getting a first down on two drives and had only thrown one pick. Doesn't seem too far off from his usual performance. Jokes aside, I was glad to see someone else get some snaps and have to say, other than a few bad throws (2 really bad throws), Thorne didn't look too terrible for a RS freshman getting his first D1 snaps against OSU.

Last edited:
I didn't see the first half this week, but apparently there's a pretty big drop-off from the #4 team in the country to the #8. back in the late Perles era, after each loss, I used to joke that we were the best "x" loss team in the country. somehow that doesn't seem as funny under these circumstances, probably because it's not even remotely close to true.

Not sure why Lombardi finally got benched - he came pretty close to getting a first down on two drives and had only thrown one pick. Doesn't seem too far off from his usual performance. Jokes aside, I was glad to see someone else get some snaps and have to say, other than a few bad throws (2 really bad throws), Thorne didn't look too terrible for a RS freshman getting his first D1 snaps against OSU.

I watched most of the game. I thought Thorn was pretty good...very good actually. The INT was only off by a little bit and 99% of the time that ball doesn't get picked off but the OSU DB made a great diving catch.

Lombardi is terrible. Career completion % of 48%, I don't even know why he is playing.

I watched most of the game. I thought Thorn was pretty good...very good actually. The INT was only off by a little bit and 99% of the time that ball doesn't get picked off but the OSU DB made a great diving catch.

Lombardi is terrible. Career completion % of 48%, I don't even know why he is playing.

There's no doubt in my mind he's better than Lombardi and with 2x the remaining eligibility, seems like a no-brainer that he should be the guy they invest in for the future (for now).

I thought it was a pretty bad throw, but I agree the dback made a great play to pick off what would have been an incomplete of a bad pass 9 out of 10 times. He had another terrible overthrow that should have been picked but wasn't but he also had a terrible drop of a sure TD that was only slightly underthrown to a receiver with no one within 15 yards of him.

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind he's better than Lombardi and with 2x the remaining eligibility, seems like a no-brainer that he should be the guy they invest in for the future (for now).

I thought it was a pretty bad throw, but I agree the dback made a great play to pick off what would have been an incomplete of a bad pass 9 out of 10 times. He had another terrible overthrow that should have been picked but wasn't but he also had a terrible drop of a sure TD that was only slightly underthrown to a receiver with no one within 15 yards of him.

as a true freshman, I think he shows some promise.

as a true freshman, I think he shows some promise.

he's a redshirt freshman, but I agree he shows promise, especially considering the level of competition he was thrown in against. And it would be tough to be worse than Lombardi, who as a junior performing the way he is, clearly has limited upside.

Absolute debacle. Turned it off before half and said I have better things to do on a Saturday. How many more times are we going to see Lombardi keep sucking before he’s finally replaced? At this point everyone with 2 eyes and a brain sees he is clearly not a Big Ten QB so stop wasting time with him and just move on and get Thorne more live reps for 2021 (although if we don’t get a transfer portal QB I’m going to be irate).

Absolute debacle. Turned it off before half and said I have better things to do on a Saturday. How many more times are we going to see Lombardi keep sucking before he’s finally replaced? At this point everyone with 2 eyes and a brain sees he is clearly not a Big Ten QB so stop wasting time with him and just move on and get Thorne more live reps for 2021 (although if we don’t get a transfer portal QB I’m going to be irate).

This Hampton Fay kid is showing some promise - but he’s going to be a true freshman next year. He was supposed to graduate in 3 years and enroll at MSU this year but ended up transferring to another high school and is playing this year. Probably felt he another year to develop before competing with Rocky Montana for the job.

He’s 6’5” 220lbs, has a cannon an can run a 4.68 forty but not the kinda talent that’s ready for D1 power 5 football as a freshman. Might be nice to pick up a 1 year guy as a grad transfer to give him time to develop.

Last edited:
Back