Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Week 1 Score Prediction Thread - vs. ECU

Michchamp

Michigan vs. East Carolina, Saturday, September 2, 2023, Noon Eastern, on Peacock

Line: UM -36; o/u 51.5
Sagarin: UM by 31 pts.

HEY, football starts in a couple days! This is our first EVER meeting against Eastern Carolina, and that's probably for the best.

You may be excused for feeling a little confused wondering exactly who our opponent is. Turns out East Carolina is actually in NORTH Carolina, in the Eastern part of the state. Make sense?

It was founded in 1907 as a "teacher training school" so in that way, it's similar to Eastern Michigan. Like a lot of state colleges, it's since grown into a bohemoth, especially after it was incorporated into the UNC system, and is now the 4th largest university in North Carolina, with 22,000 undergrad students, and over 5,000 graduate students. (Michigan has 32,000 and 18,000 respectively)

ECU's mascot is the Pirate(s) and they play in the American Athletic Conference.

722_east_carolina_university.png

From time to time, you may have heard something about ECU Football, a program that's made some noise as a mid-major at times. BUT if you're anything like me, what you've heard is that ECU has been ranked here or there after starting 5-0, or gets mentioned on Sportscenter after upsetting one of their Power 5 neighbors. And if you're even more like me, you've thought to yourself "I wonder if this crappy team is actually good, or whoever they upset is just bad."

WELL let me tell you... and they haven't actually been very good as often as you might remember... they haven't won a conference championship since 2009, when Skip Holtz was their coach (before he left for USF). And the last time they actually finished a season ranked was 1995.

Their notable upsets have been against Va Tech a couple times, UNC, and NC State. But all that was 7-8 years ago now, and from 2016-ish to 2021 they were mediocre until last season, when they bounced back to go 8-5, and win some toilet bowl.

Bush-league, Amateurish Scouting Report

Their coach is in his 4th year there. His name is Mike Houston, and he played college football at some place named Mars Hill University, which I think he might have just made up, guessing that they wouldn't check his resume out. He's gone 22-24 in his 4 years there, though the last two seasons have been much better than the first two.

I looked at their roster & 2 deep. On paper this appears to be a veteran team; only 3 starters are younger than juniors. However, according to MSN Sports their returning production ranks 130th in the country; their starting QB and most of their offensive stars graduated/left at the end of LAST season. They have a new guy named Jerry Rice on the roster, but he's a kicker.

jerry_rice1.jpg

(the OTHER Jerry Rice)

Biggest unknowns (I guess) are: 1) how our Stand-In HC Jesse Minter handles the game; I believe another one of our assistants has been designated the play caller; and 2) Does this ECU team have enough to make it any sort of game, or will they be steamrolled into submission by the end of the 1st half?

So go ahead and make your picks and post some meaningless analysis if you so choose, but as always, save the woofing and barking for other threads.

Since Harbaugh will not be on the sideline maybe they will run up the score on the Pirates. I want to see what the D has in store for us this season.

Michigan 63 - Pirates 3

114-3. 80% chance that doesn't happen but we should beat them that bad..

Last edited:
Is there also an East Carolina University in South Carolina?

Also in which Carolina did they find a certain portion of the young lady named Alice after she made a horrifically poor choice with a combustible device? It seems to change every time I hear it.

M 51

ECU Goose eggs

I think this game is going to piss a lot of people off. ECU isn't that bad and had some good wins last year. Not sure what they have coming back, but they always seem to have a big win over a top ranked team once every few years. Boys better not be overlooking them.

31- 10 Michigan

... Not sure what they have coming back,

31- 10 Michigan

*AHEM*
... However, according to MSN Sports their returning production ranks 130th in the country; their starting QB and most of their offensive stars graduated/left at the end of LAST season. ...

So not much came back.

I initially included this next part, but deleted it when cutting my post down in length: they also lost 26 kids to transfer and only had 16 transfer in, FWIW.

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: ECU's OC said today at a press conference that they might play three (3) different QBs Saturday because they haven't settled on a starter yet.

Time to get on that, boys... season starts in TWO DAYS! You're not playing some bum ACC team here...

but they always seem to have a big win over a top ranked team once every few years. Boys better not be overlooking them.

Well... kinda:

... Their notable upsets have been against Va Tech a couple times, UNC, and NC State. But all that was 7-8 years ago now ...

I was partially wrong about this; they did beat UNC as recently as 2018, but ECU also went 3-9 that year and that UNC team went 2-9.

The last time ECU beat a Power 5 team that finished with a winning record was 7-6 NC State in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
UM...52
ECU...7

I hope we can get a backup QB some reps.

Ahoy, me maties! Set yer sights on the grand battle betwixt the Michigan Wolverines and them East Carolina scallywags on the gridiron. This be a clash o' titans, with both crews aimin' to seize the treasure and hoist the Jolly Roger high.

The Michigan Wolverines, with their mighty offense and stout defense, be lookin' to plunder East Carolina's hopes of victory. Quarterback, a true Buccaneer, be slingin' the pigskin with precision, and the runnin' backs be rushin' like a tidal wave. The Wolverines defense be a fortress, fendin' off any foe that dares to approach.

But don't count out them East Carolina Pirates, for they be a crafty bunch. They be swashbucklin' their way through the season, with a cunning offense and a defense that be nippin' at yer heels. Their quarterback be a true pirate captain, chartin' a course to victory with his arm and legs.

In this grand showdown on the field, ye can expect a fierce battle, with cannonballs flyin' and cutlasses clashin'. But when the smoke clears and the final bell tolls, me prediction be that the Michigan Wolverines shall emerge victorious, claimin' the booty and leavin' the East Carolina Pirates to sail another day. Arrr, GO BLUE!

Michigan - 63
ECU - 7

Last edited:
Ahoy, me maties! Set yer sights on the grand battle betwixt the Michigan Wolverines and them East Carolina scallywags on the gridiron. This be a clash o' titans, with both crews aimin' to seize the treasure and hoist the Jolly Roger high.

The Michigan Wolverines, with their mighty offense and stout defense, be lookin' to plunder East Carolina's hopes of victory. Quarterback, a true Buccaneer, be slingin' the pigskin with precision, and the runnin' backs be rushin' like a tidal wave. The Wolverines defense be a fortress, fendin' off any foe that dares to approach.

But don't count out them East Carolina Pirates, for they be a crafty bunch. They be swashbucklin' their way through the season, with a cunning offense and a defense that be nippin' at yer heels. Their quarterback be a true pirate captain, chartin' a course to victory with his arm and legs.

In this grand showdown on the field, ye can expect a fierce battle, with cannonballs flyin' and cutlasses clashin'. But when the smoke clears and the final bell tolls, me prediction be that the Michigan Wolverines shall emerge victorious, claimin' the booty and leavin' the East Carolina Pirates to sail another day. Arrr, GO BLUE!

Michigan - 63
ECU - 7

Hey, that's pretty good.

Well... looks like MichDad and Monster both came closes on the spread (21 pts vs. 27 pts actual). And Monster also came closest to the total score.

Congratulates to both of you. Not the most "Pro-Michigan" picks there, but that's on us, and if we hadn't missed a FG, an XP, and allowed ECU a garbage time FG to prevent a shutout, we would've covered by a half point! Hopefully we run the ball better next week...

Back