Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What is the expectation for next season?

grandy

After seeing what this team did this season, what will you be happy with next season?

People were disappointed that they lost Saturday, but many said that they were satisfied with the way the season went and consider it a success, what will be just enough to satisfy you next season? In other words, what's enough to not be considered a disappointment?

Make a CC game. Only because I don't se us far off from the top NFC teams, GB, NO , NYG and SFN. That's two wins without a bye.

Pleased with and what I expect are a little different. I expect that they will be a wildcard team again. I would be pleased with a playoff win. I don't expect much more than that unless they make a significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Home playoff game win. I clicked "NFC Champs" on accident.

Making the playoffs again, even as a wildcard team would prove this team is moving in the right direction and can play at a consistently high level. Think Tampa Bay.

Fuck it, I'll say it. What will I be pleased with? I'll be pleased with a Super Bowl victory. Period. Anything less I will not be pleased with.

What I expect is for them to be competitive enough to win a playoff game and make it to the NFCCG. I don't necessarily expect them to win it, but I will only "be pleased" with a Super Bowl victory. Hell, I don't even like that they lost to the Saints, especially after leading at halftime, so yeah, I'll only be pleased with a Lombardi Trophy in the Lions showcase. This team will have, after FA and the draft, enough players and talent to make it happen.

zyxt9 said:
Fuck it, I'll say it. What will I be pleased with? I'll be pleased with a Super Bowl victory. Period. Anything less I will not be pleased with.

What I expect is for them to be competitive enough to win a playoff game and make it to the NFCCG. I don't necessarily expect them to win it, but I will only "be pleased" with a Super Bowl victory. Hell, I don't even like that they lost to the Saints, especially after leading at halftime, so yeah, I'll only be pleased with a Lombardi Trophy in the Lions showcase. This team will have, after FA and the draft, enough players and talent to make it happen.

I don't think you will be pleased next year!

tomdalton22 said:
zyxt9 said:

I don't think you will be pleased next year!

lol...haven't been for 40 years, why should next year be any different? lol

I'll just combine the SB appearance and NFC champ votes, wasn't paying attention when I made that.

The Lions need to win the freaking Super bowl. If other team's can win as a # 6 seed the Lions should be of that mind-set also... Anything Less the winning the super bowl is not good enough for me...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]The Lions need to win the freaking Super bowl. If other team's can win as a # 6 seed the Lions should be of that mind-set also... Anything Less the winning the super bowl is not good enough for me...

6 WC teams in 45 years. Well, 46 now. So we had 13% chance. That's tough.

The expectation should be that we make the playoffs. Let's face it, we are not close enough to GB to expect to win the division. Moreover, we will likely have a tougher race for the wild card spot if Chicago-Dallas-Philly don't implode again. Making the playoffs should NOT be taken for granted with this team. We were the last team in this year. We're not NE, Pittsburgh, or playing in a terrible division. We are one injury to Calvin or Matt away from being sub .500.

We did not beat a single team that finished ahead of us in the playoff seeding, and lost to 3 of them. It's easy to say we were close to the NFC championship, but we weren't - the Saints have showed us as much. We were actually relatively healthy compared to the average NFL team as well. Now, we have the framework in place to grab some players and be really good, but this team, with current personnel is in no way a disappointment "just" making the playoffs.

I think we can improve, and I expect further development out of Stafford. But I'm not going to be disappointed unless we fall apart, unless we go 7-9 all of a sudden and start regressing. I expect us to be as good as we were this year, which should hopefully (no guarantee) be good enough to make the playoffs next year.

We can win the division. Great offense and its not like GB defense is so awesome. Just need to be more consistent.

Mitch, the difference between GB's consistency and our own is huge. We do not have GB's offense because we shoot ourselves in the foot too often. GB's defense is underrated because teams always had to throw to catch up (and throwing racks up yards). Our most consistent quality was our penalties.

GB isn't just a great offense and bad defense, they are a historically great offense and specialized (led the league in forcing turnovers) defense. I think the separation between least penalized and most penalized is too much to overcome when Green Bay already does everything we do better than us.

It seemed like the last few games the Lions considerably cut back on the 15 yard penalties, now if they can apply similar incentive to keep them from getting so many 5 and 10 yarders they will be in better position to win against the better teams.

Winning a WC playoff game on the road is the very least of my expectations, since GB is not likely going to lose their grip on being division champs for at least a couple of more years. IF the Lions can continue to improve on both sides of the line of scrimmage, on OL and DL, STs, defensive and offensive backfields, and IF their defensive coaching schemes improve (all probably requiring at least a few significant personnel moves), then they may beat GB out for the NFCN title sooner, rather than later.

Otherwise, they may have to battle it out for a WC spot with the Bears, perhaps also needing to win both home and away games against them to create some breathing room. Although the Vikings currently are amongst the NFL's bottom-feeders, in todays' parity-driven NFL, and the probability of going to an 18 game regular-season schedule, they could soon again become competitive, if not contenders as well, although their near-future in Minnesota is still kinda murky.

People have some pretty wild expectations.

This is the Lions, I'll be happy with two 10 win seasons back to back.

Seriously, what's up with people not being happy with a good team, same thing happened with Tigers fans, blew gaskets left and right cause we didn't win the ALCS, even though we won 95 games.

Lions have a good young core, we need to improve the run game and the secondary (maybe overall defense) and we'll be better, we don't have to win it all next year or else.

A playoff win would be a nice step forwards.

MI_Thumb said:
People have some pretty wild expectations.

This is the Lions, I'll be happy with two 10 win seasons back to back.

Seriously, what's up with people not being happy with a good team, same thing happened with Tigers fans, blew gaskets left and right cause we didn't win the ALCS, even though we won 95 games.

Lions have a good young core, we need to improve the run game and the secondary (maybe overall defense) and we'll be better, we don't have to win it all next year or else.

A playoff win would be a nice step forwards.

My expectation is to win a playoff game. I don't think we will catch GB next year so I believe we will bethe 5 or 6 seed and have to go on the road. I actually think we should be a better team but we may finish with a similar 10-6 or 11-5 record.

And as someone else said...remember some other teams or going to get better as well....not just us. Making the playoffs in the NFL is hard to do.

Unfortunately I think the Lions lucked out a little bit this year

Rams and Bucs - both were expected to be fighting for a playoff spot/division title and both took nose dives
Bears - Cutler got hurt and their season fell apart from there
Eagles - Were a pre-season favorite to at least make the playoffs and they couldn't get it together this year
Cowboys - Probably could've been better record-wise

But that's the craziness that is the middle-pack of the NFL

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Mitch, the difference between GB's consistency and our own is huge. We do not have GB's offense because we shoot ourselves in the foot too often. GB's defense is underrated because teams always had to throw to catch up (and throwing racks up yards). Our most consistent quality was our penalties.

GB isn't just a great offense and bad defense, they are a historically great offense and specialized (led the league in forcing turnovers) defense. I think the separation between least penalized and most penalized is too much to overcome when Green Bay already does everything we do better than us.

Things can change in a year. And its not like I said it'd be easy. And GB doesn't do everything better than us or they wouldn't be 32 in total yards given up.

Back