Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wildcard Game

biggunsbob

New York 92-70
Boston 92-70

Boston wins 6-2

Tomorrow
St Louis 90-72 @ Los Angeles 106-56.

Yankees Lose Good. FTY

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/10/05/watercooler-wednesday-8/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another chance for readers to have increased opportunities to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful conversations and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversation threads with not just comments but replies to others. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic. For this blog only, a maximum of 10 sentences please.
For 10 years now, MLB?s playoff format has included 10 teams out of 30. Three division winners and 2 wild card teams for each of the leagues. The 2 wild card teams have a 1-game playoff to determine who continues onto the ALDS.

Much of the strategy was developed as a solution to increase interest in the playoffs, involve as many teams (and fans) as possible and increase competition within each league. Not to mention advertising dollars and profit.

But controversy continues. There are arguments that advocate for a fairer system. Others want to addresses concerns over less-competitive teams pulling out fluke victories over teams with better season records.

This year is a prime example. The Dodgers finished the year with baseball?s 2nd best record ? 106 wins. Just 1 win less than the division-winning San Francisco Giants. Both are in the same division. Ironically, the Giants were the ones who took the division title.

The Dodgers are now classified as a wild card team despite their record. They are being forced into a 1-game playoff with the Cardinals. Winner take all and advancement to the NLDS. The loser goes home.

Is this a fair system? Is it good for baseball? Or is it detrimental to the game by punishing top teams and upsetting fans?

Should the system remain the same or would you change it?

I plan on listening tonight. No TV for me. No cable, no MLB. By intent.

I plan on listening tonight. No TV for me. No cable, no MLB. By intent.

When I pay attention to a dodger game ? which is like a part of I?ll say a majority of the games ? 99% of the time I?m listening on the radio. Free broadcast radio.

Back