Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rusney Castillo

Thundercats

First reports connecting the Tigers to the Cuban star.

"According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, the Tigers could make a serious run at signing Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo.
The Tigers have shown interest in Cuban outfielders before, most notably Yoenis Cespedes, and have a gaping hole in center field with Austin Jackson shipped off to Seattle. The Tigers are just one of many clubs with serious interest in the 27-year-old though, and his potential price tag appears to be getting larger by the day. Aug 9 - 11:48 AM"

We need to strike fast on this. We need offensive help, and very very quickly. Miguel looks checked out, Victor is slowing, JD has been below average the past 3 weeks. Jackson was our only hot bat, and he was shipped off.. need to replace him. Castillo is our best, and possibly only option.

Not as gifted (overall) as Cespedes. But he will cost more, due to ownerships wanting to extend his control, after seeing Cespedes about to dive-in to free agency already.
C'mon Mr. Ilitch! What's another 6Y/49M?........ just do it.

Last edited:
I can see him playing SS as well. He seems to have some opposite field power as well.

I watched a YouTube on him, not sure if it's the same one posted above but from what I saw he was a speed singles guy. I didn't see any power at all.

The video I seen has him hitting to right field with pop

Definitely different than what I saw. Even saw him bunt..And nothing was hit to RF.

It was a long video. Maybe it was showing his defense. I wonder if he can pitch out of the bullpen

Last edited:
Castillo is represented by Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports, the same agency that negotiated a 10-year, $240 million contract for free-agent second baseman Robinson Cano, who left the Yankees to sign with the Mariners.

Why not? Might be worth it, especially given our OF needs, shitty FA pool this offseason and general lack of trade chips left.

$50 Mil for a possible ceiling of a 4th OFer isn't what I call getting good value.

He is speedy and might hit for average. He doesn't have great power. He doesn't walk much. He has questionable defense and most aren't sure where he might best play (CF, RF or 2B). He tends to be aggressive at the plate.

Come to think of it, he seems to be like all the other recent Tiger acquisitions. Let's go for it. It is only money.

$50 Mil for a possible ceiling of a 4th OFer isn't what I call getting good value.

He is speedy and might hit for average. He doesn't have great power. He doesn't walk much. He has questionable defense and most aren't sure where he might best play (CF, RF or 2B). He tends to be aggressive at the plate.

Come to think of it, he seems to be like all the other recent Tiger acquisitions. Let's go for it. It is only money.

And lets face it how many got there own Two threads all ready? Come to think of it the only player that has all of the above was HOF Cringe! Question is, can he check swing and/or complain enough?

Back