Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rusney Castillo

28 years old and does not walk much.... Please pass for 50 million...

Last edited:
What are our other options for CF next year? Is there a FA or trade candidate that you guys think we need to go after? Looking on MLBTR, this list of FA CFs looks awfully weak...

Center Fielders

Emilio Bonifacio (30)
Franklin Gutierrez (32)
Colby Rasmus (28)
Grady Sizemore (32)
Denard Span (31) – $9MM club option with a $500K buyout
Chris Young (31)

Denard Span would be my choice from this list. He's a lefty, steals bases, and hits for average.

What are our other options for CF next year? Is there a FA or trade candidate that you guys think we need to go after? Looking on MLBTR, this list of FA CFs looks awfully weak...

Center Fielders

Emilio Bonifacio (30)
Franklin Gutierrez (32)
Colby Rasmus (28)
Grady Sizemore (32)
Denard Span (31) ? $9MM club option with a $500K buyout
Chris Young (31)

Denard Span would be my choice from this list. He's a lefty, steals bases, and hits for average.

Span will be 31 next year.

Span From 2011-2013

.277 BAVG .333 OBP .382 SLG .715 OPS 43 SB 13 CS

A. Jackson (28) from 2011-2013

.273 BAVG .343 OBP .422 SLG .765 OPS 42 SB 18 CS

Span is having a "career" year. I am not one that wants to reward an average CF with big Free Agent dollars.

From 2012-Present, Span is ranked 27th out of 34 in OPS for MLB CFer. Jackson is 18th.

However, I will say Span is the better defensive player.

Span will be 31 next year.

Span From 2011-2013

.277 BAVG .333 OBP .382 SLG .715 OPS 43 SB 13 CS

A. Jackson (28) from 2011-2013

.273 BAVG .343 OBP .422 SLG .765 OPS 42 SB 18 CS

Span is having a "career" year. I am not one that wants to reward an average CF with big Free Agent dollars.

From 2012-Present, Span is ranked 27th out of 34 in OPS for MLB CFer. Jackson is 18th.

However, I will say Span is the better defensive player.

Can't disagree one bit, but we're either gonna have to roll with Davis/Carrera, sign Castillo, take a shot at one of the FAs I listed, or swing a trade. I just don't see a lot out there right now, and the prices are probably gonna be high. Our CF prospects like Hill are probably 2-3yrs away from what I've heard.

Not to mention I bet the Nats pick up his option, so he wont actually be a FA.

Can't disagree one bit, but we're either gonna have to roll with Davis/Carrera, sign Castillo, take a shot at one of the FAs I listed, or swing a trade. I just don't see a lot out there right now, and the prices are probably gonna be high. Our CF prospects like Hill are probably 2-3yrs away from what I've heard.

Not to mention one of the two Corner OF positions. Personally, I also thing J.D. Martinez is having a "fluke" season. But we won't know until next year.

Before the Fister trade, it was widely known we were "short" on "good" OF prospects. And since then, we traded Jackson away. He wasn't great, but he was average and somewhat cost controlled.

Now, we want to shell out millions because our outfield is lacking.

Gone in trades since December:

Doug Fister (30)

Austin Jackson (27)

Drew Smyly (25)

Jose Alvarez (25)

Corey Knebel (22)

Jake Thompson (20)

Willy Adames (18)

PTBNL

Received:

Joakim Soria (30)

David Price (29)

Manny Pina (27) C

Ian Krol (23)

Robbie Ray (22)

IMHO, Jake Thompson has a higher ceiling than Robbie Ray. Yet, he was sent for 1 1/2 years of Soria (if he can be healthy). These are pieces gone now that could have been used in a deal to get someone like Seth Smith.

We cannot afford a $170 Mil payroll if we cannot make the playoffs. Plain and simple. Without any changes, I certainly don't like our chances next year, unless Castellanos and Suarez have great Sophomore seasons.

I liked Jake Thompson myself..whatever the options are - paying Span more than what he deserves (if his current team declines his option), paying a 27 international player a ransom for a few singles and stolen base - are both not worth it.

And I'll reiterate, trading for a RP is beyond stupid.

Yeesh, I'm starting to see estimates of 5 years for $50-60 million/yr. Even given our extreme OF need, thats probably too expensive for my liking for a guy who hasnt played baseball in a long time, has never played in MLB, and whose comp is "Rajai Davis with power."

Not to mention I bet the Nats pick up his option, so he wont actually be a FA.
Didn't realize he had an option until I read this. Looked it up and it's a $9mil team option w/ $500k buyout. I don't know enough about what the Nats have in their system for CF, but I'd guess they'll pick it up if they don't have a young guy ready to take over next season.

The key is everyone holding to it. You will have that one club out in left field throw the whole scale off. Contracts in baseball definitely need level setting as guys are getting some ridiculous deals that can't live up to.

Back