Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matt Hall west michigan

I agree with you ....I wonder if him and the 19 year old Burrows kid have a shot to make it ? I guess only time will tell but I hope so. I hope we don't trade the good arms we have away.

Last edited:
As with most minor league players, early success at lower levels is nice only if they can carry it over to the next level. A better indication of a prospect is how they perform at AA or AAA. Here is a quick scouting report on Hall when he was drafted:

His fastball doesn’t lit up the gun (86-90), but he puts it where he wants it as consistently as any lefthander in the college game. He has three pitches that he can throw for a strike in any count and game situation (above-average 75-79 CB that flashes better and an average 80-82 CU) and an unimpeachable track record of success (12.67 K/9 in 108 IP of 2.17 ERA ball as a junior).

In 66+ innings, he has yet to give up a homerun. Even Clayton Kershaw gives up the occasional HR and Hall doesn't have the stuff Kershaw has. So really, he has some luck on his side so far this year.

If he continues on his development path, Hall doesn't project to be more than a #4-5 starter (ceiling) and probably at least a LOOGY (floor).

Thanks Rebbiv!!! Good stuff hopefully some of these young kids will make it big time. If you were going to take a gamble on any player from West michigan who would it be.

On the Homers . It helps that the white caps at in a pitchers park.

Thanks Rebbiv!!! Good stuff hopefully some of these young kids will make it big time. If you were going to take a gamble on any player from West michigan who would it be.

On the Homers . It helps that the white caps at in a pitchers park.

Not sure at West Michigan (mid A ball). Lakeland (high A ball) you have Christian Stewart, who has the tools to be a star. I would have him as the starting LFer beginning next year. Now if I could.

You also have Tyler Alexander, who is in the same mold as Hall (soft tossing lefty), but has a tic more off an upside and has a tic more velocity.

I have my eye on Kody Eaves in AA. He is blocked by Kinsler right now, but in 2 years, he might be a good (not great) every day 2B. Or...he is a valuable trade piece.

I go to a few Syracuse Chiefs games. I am going this Sunday to watch Toledo while they are here.

The Chiefs' have 23-year old SS in Trea Turner and a catcher who is 22-year old Pedro Severino. Turner is the real deal. Severino is a great defensive catcher and pitch framer, yet his offensive statistics will cause him to be a at least a career backup catcher. There is hope for him, because he is just 22 in AAA. Now, I mention this, because I don't I see anyone coming to Syracuse in the next couple of years that will play for Toledo that young with as much upside.

Back