Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

We should be sellers

jdeb

This team is not going anywhere. What a total waste of money. I would get rid of Miggy, VMart, JV, Upton, Kinsler, Sanchez, KRod, Lowe, JWilson, and Pelfrey. Let's blow this thing up and get what we can. Use any money saved towards player development. There is no sense of urgency with this team and they are having way too much fun losing. They should be ashamed of themselves but are not, they are getting paid.

Ehh I wouldn't mind being sellers, but I still think it's too early to make that call. They are probably no better than a .500 team, but they are still only 2.5 games out of a Wildcard spot. Just a short while ago they were within sight of first in the division but that turned south quick.

It sucks going 0-9 against the Tribe so far (seriously that is a huge statistical improbability), but I wouldn't pull the plug just yet. See how things look in a month.

A lot of those guys I think would be pretty hard to just "get rid of" as well.

There are very few, if any, Tigers who would be able to get rid of. No one in their right mind would take Pelfrey. Upton's contract for the time being is unmovable. If we traded someone like Kinsler, we have no ready option for the remainder of the year (unless we had Romine or Aviles play there full time).

Unlike last year, we have no one that will be a "true" Free Agent at the end of the year. We traded Price, Cespedes and Soria last year in order to get players before they walked. The only Free Agent would be Mike Aviles. Maybin and K-Rod could be if their options were declined.

There are very few, if any, Tigers who would be able to get rid of. No one in their right mind would take Pelfrey. Upton's contract for the time being is unmovable. If we traded someone like Kinsler, we have no ready option for the remainder of the year (unless we had Romine or Aviles play there full time).

Unlike last year, we have no one that will be a "true" Free Agent at the end of the year. We traded Price, Cespedes and Soria last year in order to get players before they walked. The only Free Agent would be Mike Aviles. Maybin and K-Rod could be if their options were declined.

The Tigers screwed up by not trading JD during their late summer sell off last season.

Still hope at 2.5 games out but a slim hope at best. If we can aquire younger talent I am all for it but with this scouting and management group I am not so sure I trust them to rebuild us.. Guess I have to root for a huge winning streak somehow..

Last edited:
I don't trade Miggy or JV no matter what.

I have no problem trading anyone else, but when you're looking for young guys and prospects it's usually several of them for a veteran player, and only so much room on the 40-man roster. (40 spots actually, funny how that works out)

I don't trade Miggy or JV no matter what.

I have no problem trading anyone else, but when you're looking for young guys and prospects it's usually several of them for a veteran player, and only so much room on the 40-man roster. (40 spots actually, funny how that works out)

Miggy and JV are pretty much untradeable due to the combo of their age and contracts.

I wonder if Zimmermann has a no trade clause? If so, his contract is probably worse than Upton's at this point.

I wonder if Zimmermann has a no trade clause? If so, his contract is probably worse than Upton's at this point.

I agree with you. Every expert predicted this would be the worst bust/signing this offseason due to his severe regression last year and the move to the AL and they are looking to be quite accurate with those predictions. He is basically a soft tossing righty and being a strike thrower is only good when you have lateral/vertical movement and high velocity on your pitches otherwise it's just batting practice like we are seeing. Everyone seems to think JZ will be fine disregarding the fact he's had at least three outings giving up 7 or 8 runs and it's not even July. If you forget the first month when hitters weren't up to speed yet, he's been arguably one of the worst pitchers in the AL along with Sanches and Palfrey. Pretty much every free agent signing Avila has made has been a complete bust. Sell everyone and get more young guys like Fulmer, Jones, Norris, etc..

Trade Protection in their contracts:

Verlander - full no-trade protection

Upton - limited no-trade protection: may block deals to 20 clubs

Zimmermann - full no-trade protection for 2016-18 and partial no-trade protection for 2019-20 (may be traded to 10 clubs without his permission)

V. Martinez - full no-trade protection after 2015 season as player who has earned 10-and-5 rights

Last edited:
This team is not going anywhere. What a total waste of money. I would get rid of Miggy, VMart, JV, Upton, Kinsler, Sanchez, KRod, Lowe, JWilson, and Pelfrey. Let's blow this thing up and get what we can. Use any money saved towards player development. There is no sense of urgency with this team and they are having way too much fun losing. They should be ashamed of themselves but are not, they are getting paid.

We trade all that we won't compete for 10 years easy..

images

Edit: On the bright side, their mascot is great.

phanaticnicetry.gif

Last edited:
Yes. Not with the exact cast but get a piece or two or three. If you get rid of all the good pieces along with all the bad we become an expansion team.

or you continue playing with the same aging core and keep putting band aids on and sooner or later you become a team like the Yankees or Phillies (without anybody on the farm)

The window has come and gone without a title

Ask the Indians what completely blowing up your team does for your ticket sales. Damn near fifteen years later and the fans haven't returned.

DET's TV contract is up at the end of 2017. There is no way DET does a fire sale under those conditions, because viewership this year and the beginning of next will influence the new deal.

DET will attempt to remain competitive even at cost. Like it or not, they actually might be buyers. While they probably won't win or make the playoffs, it will help them financially long term. Selling right now actually will hurt the team when it comes to negotiating the new TV deal.

DET's TV contract is up at the end of 2017. There is no way DET does a fire sale under those conditions, because viewership this year and the beginning of next will influence the new deal.

DET will attempt to remain competitive even at cost. Like it or not, they actually might be buyers. While they probably won't win or make the playoffs, it will help them financially long term. Selling right now actually will hurt the team when it comes to negotiating the new TV deal.

I threw up in my mouth a little. Hooray for mediocrity!

Back