Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Tigers Update

Rebbiv

As of 17 August

Players Acquired in Trade Deadline deals

Fullmer (R, 22 AA) 3 GS 2-1 16.6 IP 13 H 3 ER 4 BB 14 SO 1.62 ERA 1.02 WHIP 3.50 SO/BB

Norris (L, 22 MLB) 3 GS 1-1 17.0 IP 19 H 9 ER 4 BB 10 SO 4.76 ERA 1.35 WHIP 2.50 SO/BB

Boyd (L, 24 MLB) 3 GS 1-1 17.3 IP 22 H 9 ER 4 BB 12 SO 4.67 ERA 1.50 WHIP 3.00 SO/BB

Cessa (R, 23 AAA) 3 GS 1-1 17.3 IP 17 H 12 ER 7 BB 10 SO 6.23 ERA 1.38 WHIP 1.43 SO/BB

Labourt (L, 21 A) 4 GS 0-3 19.6 IP 28 H 17 ER 12 BB 15 SO 7.78 ERA 2.03 WHIP 1.25 SO/BB

J. Jones (R, SS 23 AA) 15 G 66 PA .259 BAVG .348 OBP .556 SLG .904 OPS 8.3 PA/BB 2 errors

Jones is kind of interesting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jones is kind of interesting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I still think Jones is a long shot.

Baseball Prospectus summary of Jones:

Jones is currently a shortstop who will likely be bumped into a utility role long-term with plus speed, athleticism, and raw power but an underwhelming feel for hitting. An athletic specimen, Jones boasts highly impressive physical tools but doesn't project to play shortstop on a regular basis due to a weak arm, stiff hands, and questionable footwork at the position. While he possesses plus raw power at the plate, Jones has discernible holes in his swing and a power-hungry approach that will be exploited as he reaches the upper levels of the minors, limiting his in-game power to around average. Due to the concerns that he can't stick at shortstop and the projected limited utility of the hit tool at the highest level, Jones fits a utility profile, one that can play up the middle and not be an absolute liability at shortstop or second base on a short-term basis. In addition, Jones possesses the physical profile to be at least average in center field, a position he has played in the past and will likely get another shot at in the near future.

The raw OFP averages to 45, which is a below-average regular. The projected role is a role-4 utility type who can play up the middle with plus speed and hit for some pop off the bench. The risk is high due to the swing-and-miss issues exhibited as a 22-year-old in Low-A. Though the hit tool has issues, he should be able to hit in the .220-.240 range. If the bat falls much lower than that, he becomes more of a AAAA player.

I still think Jones is a long shot.

Baseball Prospectus summary of Jones:

Jones is currently a shortstop who will likely be bumped into a utility role long-term with plus speed, athleticism, and raw power but an underwhelming feel for hitting. An athletic specimen, Jones boasts highly impressive physical tools but doesn't project to play shortstop on a regular basis due to a weak arm, stiff hands, and questionable footwork at the position. While he possesses plus raw power at the plate, Jones has discernible holes in his swing and a power-hungry approach that will be exploited as he reaches the upper levels of the minors, limiting his in-game power to around average. Due to the concerns that he can't stick at shortstop and the projected limited utility of the hit tool at the highest level, Jones fits a utility profile, one that can play up the middle and not be an absolute liability at shortstop or second base on a short-term basis. In addition, Jones possesses the physical profile to be at least average in center field, a position he has played in the past and will likely get another shot at in the near future.

The raw OFP averages to 45, which is a below-average regular. The projected role is a role-4 utility type who can play up the middle with plus speed and hit for some pop off the bench. The risk is high due to the swing-and-miss issues exhibited as a 22-year-old in Low-A. Though the hit tool has issues, he should be able to hit in the .220-.240 range. If the bat falls much lower than that, he becomes more of a AAAA player.

I agree. I think the Tigers have seen enough AAAA players over the last decade. See Marcus Thames, Don Kelly, Ryan Raburn...

Back