Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Reds 8-24-15 Game #124

well...I guess this loss is a good thing. At this point we probably need to start thinking about being in the bottom 10. If they finish in the bottom 10 their first round pick will be top 10 protected if they sign a FA that has a qualifying offer. At this point...I think that is the best case scenario for this team.

well...I guess this loss is a good thing. At this point we probably need to start thinking about being in the bottom 10. If they finish in the bottom 10 their first round pick will be top 10 protected if they sign a FA that has a qualifying offer. At this point...I think that is the best case scenario for this team.

Do ties count, like in golf?

MEH

Financially, they shouldn't be signing any Free Agents that were given a Qualifying Offer. That is how we got in the current mess. So it shouldn't matter where they finish.

MEH

Financially, they shouldn't be signing any Free Agents that were given a Qualifying Offer. That is how we got in the current mess. So it shouldn't matter where they finish.

The way I look at it...they don't have enough quality players in the minor leagues to fill the roster. They are going to sign some free agents. Isn't it better to not lose the 1st round pick if they decide to sign a player that has a qualifying offer? One benefit to going after some of the guys with qualifying offers is there might be less competition due to the loss of draft picks.

I think it is better to have that option vs. not having it.

The way I look at it...they don't have enough quality players in the minor leagues to fill the roster. They are going to sign some free agents. Isn't it better to not lose the 1st round pick if they decide to sign a player that has a qualifying offer? One benefit to going after some of the guys with qualifying offers is there might be less competition due to the loss of draft picks.

I think it is better to have that option vs. not having it.

They can sign players. Just not ones that require Qualify Offers. Cespedes, Price, Cueto, Parra, Leake, Latos, etc, etc do not require QO.

Additionally, the pending Free Agent who did turn down a qualifying offer ($15.3 Mil a season last year) would be looking to make at least that much on a multiple season contract.

We cannot afford a $15 Mil a year player, regardless if there was a Qualifying Offer or not.

We have avoided spending money on player development over the years because of the Tigers losing money over the years. That is what has gotten them to this point. The solution isn't to spend more money "to fill out the roster". The solution is to suck it up and "retool" and build the infrastructure up.

Last edited:
They can sign players. Just not ones that require Qualify Offers. Cespedes, Price, Cueto, Parra, Leake, Latos, etc, etc do not require QO.

Additionally, the pending Free Agent who did turn down a qualifying offer ($15.3 Mil a season last year) would be looking to make at least that much on a multiple season contract.

We cannot afford a $15 Mil a year player, regardless if there was a Qualifying Offer or not.

We have avoided spending money on player development over the years because of the Tigers losing money over the years. That is what has gotten them to this point. The solution isn't to spend more money "to fill out the roster". The solution is to suck it up and "retool" and build the infrastructure up.

Ideally, yes. But you know that there is a good chance that they do sign a player to a contract that is over 15M. If they do want one of the players that has a QO wouldn't you rather keep a top 10 draft pic vs. losing a pick in the 11-15 range?

Ideally, yes. But you know that there is a good chance that they do sign a player to a contract that is over 15M. If they do want one of the players that has a QO wouldn't you rather keep a top 10 draft pic vs. losing a pick in the 11-15 range?

Of course there is a good chance. They are still delusional. But it doesn't make it right.

By my count, the need a starting LF, CF, 3B and C. People will disagree with me on the C, but I don't care. We need at least 2 starters and probably 3-4 guys in the pen. Signing 1 FA worth $15 Mil does what?

Of course there is a good chance. They are still delusional. But it doesn't make it right.

By my count, the need a starting LF, CF, 3B and C. People will disagree with me on the C, but I don't care. We need at least 2 starters and probably 3-4 guys in the pen. Signing 1 FA worth $15 Mil does what?

of course it doesn't make it right...but my money is they do sign one player at a contract like that. As far as what it does...it takes care of one of those needs.

As far as needs...I agree with you for the most part. I think the Tigers feel differently. I think they stand pat at 3B, get a platoon for CF, look for a LF or try to fill within (collins?) and a platoon for C (probably be Avila)

As far as starters...I think they might only add one and fill the rest of the sarters from within. Probably add a few BP arms.

I see another sub .500 season for 2016!

Back