Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What's killing us...

hellifino

3-8 in extra inning games

too many grounding into double plays

too many caught stealing

poor bullpen

and too many balls right down the middle by our pitchers with a 0-2 count on the batter.

and Brad.

In a word...pitching. We used to be able to somewhat hide our weak bullpen because the starters were so good. Now we don't even have that anymore. We have two reliable starters at the moment (and who knows how long Sanchez can keep this up), and that's it.

Why did we start 11-2? It was because the starters, including Simon and Greene, all were pitching out of their minds and getting shutouts every other game. I don't know how they could have turned so bad so fast, but it's a reality we are faced with.

I'm not saying all the other reasons you listed aren't factors, but if you can't count on the majority of your rotation to even give you 5 solid innings, you're in a lot of trouble.

The Tigers were 28-20 entering May 28th. In the 48 games they've played since they've given up an average of 5.48 runs per game and compiled a 19-29 record.

What's killing us is that the aren't really that good and the still on the job learning manager keeps making poor decisions

Nah, it's because we're losing more games than we're winning..

and that they are better on paper than they are on the field. I'm moving onto the acceptance phase now, maybe next year

I understand Brad has not been great, but I really don't think we'd be doing much better with another manager. How can you expect a team to be elite when you only have 2 out of 5 starting pitchers performing adequately? That is the biggest problem, and the biggest reason the team has gone south.

Verlander was the key to the season in my opinion. I believed we would succeed with him, or we would fail with him. Unfortunately it's been the latter.

I understand Brad has not been great, but I really don't think we'd be doing much better with another manager. How can you expect a team to be elite when you only have 2 out of 5 starting pitchers performing adequately? That is the biggest problem, and the biggest reason the team has gone south.

Verlander was the key to the season in my opinion. I believed we would succeed with him, or we would fail with him. Unfortunately it's been the latter.

The difference with wins and losses would probably be minimal. But BA has said some of the stupidest things..who doesn't pitch a guy in case it goes extra innings? Then follows it with it wouldn't have changed the results if he had pitched Soria in the 8th.

Just stupid.

I am fine with replacing Ausmus. I haven't seen much from him to believe he is the guy moving forward. I am just saying I don't think he is "what's killing us" as the thread title suggests.

The difference with wins and losses would probably be minimal. But BA has said some of the stupidest things..who doesn't pitch a guy in case it goes extra innings? Then follows it with it wouldn't have changed the results if he had pitched Soria in the 8th.

Just stupid.

He has cost us 3-6 games himself by his poor managing and not putting the guys in the best possible way to win... being only 4 out of the wild card those games really mean something. Plus the lack of discipline this team shows on the base paths and 0-2 counts is totally on the manager and or coaching..

Last edited:
He has cost us 3-6 games himself by his poor managing and not putting the guys in the best possible way to win... being only 4 out of the wild card those games really mean something. Plus the lack of discipline this team shows on the base paths and 0-2 counts is totally on the manager and or coaching..

3-6 games is a crazy figure. We have no idea what the alternate outcome would have been had he made different decisions. My guess...a game or two and that probably isn't much different than any other manager's decisions.

not much being said about our CFers, Combined both Gose and Davis has 7 HRs and 39 RBIs in 600 ABs. totally unacceptable.

Team WAR AL Positional Rankings

C = 10th

1B = 2nd

2B = 3rd

SS = 7th

3B = 14th

LF = 2nd (primarily due to Cespedes)

CF = 11th

RF = 2nd

DH = 14th

Team wRC+ AL Positional Rankings

C = 9th

1B = 1st

2B = 2nd

SS = 4th

3B = 12th

LF = 2nd

CF = 8th

RF = 1st

DH = 13th

Team Def AL Positional Rankings

C = 10th

1B = 14th

2B = 4th

SS = 5th

3B = 13th

LF = 1st

CF = 12th

RF = 4th

All together, it is C, 3B, CF and DH from a positional standpoint. But I believe lack of good pitching is much bigger as a whole.

Last edited:
I agree with the statement that manager decisions only affect a handful of games every season. Unfortunately in those games this year Brad has dropped the ball with a very loud thud.

I hate to say it, but Vmart.He looks like the way he did before the DL.

I hate to say it, but Vmart.He looks like the way he did before the DL.

I agree VMart is the biggest problem right now. The pitching has been pretty good lately, but they can't score runs. Keeping a 240 hitter with single digit home runs in the clean up spot is on Brad.

I have a feeling this VMart contract will go down as the worst given out by Dombrowski. I know its only one season and he is coming off surgery. But he overpayed a 36 year of old DH coming off a career year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have a feeling this VMart contract will go down as the worst given out by Dombrowski. I know its only one season and he is coming off surgery. But he overpayed a 36 year of old DH coming off a career year.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not worse than JV's....Prince's was terrible and when it is all said and done...Miggy's might be worse too

Last edited:
Back