Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dombrowski fired, Dumb Ass Al Avila Fired Now DD back to World Series

Wow... didn't expect to see this today. I figured DD was a lock to return after being entrusted to trade away Price, Cespedes, and Soria, and getting a good return for them. I wonder if Ausmus is going to get the boot soon too.

Wow... didn't expect to see this today. I figured DD was a lock to return after being entrusted to trade away Price, Cespedes, and Soria, and getting a good return for them. I wonder if Ausmus is going to get the boot soon too.

If he was, I think Ilitch would have fired him first.

Thank god DD is gone. Now we can move on and maybe change the organizational philosophy.

Thank god DD is gone. Now we can move on and maybe change the organizational philosophy.

Do you see Avila making the necessary difference? I'd have to think getting the right manager would be top priority right now. In the offseason, focus on getting an efficient bullpen and rotation together. Last of all, getting the right coaches to help these players. Jeff Jones seems like an awful pitching coach. Can't seem to get anyone right.

Was listening to Inside Pitch with Jim Bowden and Casey Stern on the way home from work and called in and got on the air.

They took several calls about DD while I sat on hold. Not sure where they got their info from, but they said Illitch told Avila to put the pedal to the floor in trying to get to the playoffs. They also said Al was quoted saying Mr I offered him the job Saturday, the day after the deadline.

Something doesn't make sense. Did Illitch want to buy at the deadline but DD want to sell? They were baffled that the owner would allow a GM to do the opposite of what he wanted. Did DD do this on his own? I can't see that happening either. We need answers! LOL

If he was, I think Ilitch would have fired him first.

Why would Ilitch fire the manager? That's the GM's job. Mike I is not Jerry Jones, he lets his GM handle everything under him.

My guess is it's now up to Avila to decide if Brad stays or goes, but I'm guessing Al will clean house at the end of the season so he can call the 2016 tigers his team and not an extension of DD's team.

Why would Ilitch fire the manager? That's the GM's job. Mike I is not Jerry Jones, he lets his GM handle everything under him.

My guess is it's now up to Avila to decide if Brad stays or goes, but I'm guessing Al will clean house at the end of the season so he can call the 2016 tigers his team and not an extension of DD's team.

Well, if a guy is going to oust his GM mid-season, I tend to think maybe that guy would fire his manager too..

If Ilitch is going to make up his mind about wanting to compete a couple days after selling a shit ton of talent, then maybe he is out of his mind after all.

Yeah, maybe we can see what Randy Smith is doing

I'm kind of agreeing with this. The grass isn't always greener. DD wasn't perfect.. the dude couldn't identify a good relief pitcher to save his life, but he's responsible for Miguel Cabrera being a Tiger and for the Tigers appearing in 2 world series in the past 10 years. He's made some questionable deals the past couple seasons, but he got us some good young talent this past week. Obviously, signing Scherzer would have been beneficial. Not letting Benoit walk would have helped. Not trading Fister for squat would have REALLY helped. Idk. If we're going to fire DD, I think someone with success in the role should be hired.. not Alex Avila's daddy.

It might have been time for a change, expected this in October. Good for DD too, most likely needed a change of scenery. As for this season you can chalk it up to injuries, if we had a health Miggy, victor and jv it would have been a different story. Bullpen was still bad but jv going deep into games would have made the pen better and we would have added some help.

Long term the injuries may turn out to be a blessing. I like how this roster could shape up next year w young pitchers and free agents.

I am torn.. Found out on the radio and listen to some of the press conference.. DD help turn us into contenders and I appreciated that for sure.. but like has mentioned his post season record and sub par bullpens did him in.. I am concerned nothing will change he mentioned how he was in with DD on every decisions including scouting, farm system ect... He really did help DD get Miguel and wasn't he pushing for JD also... Just worried..

Last edited:
It might have been time for a change, expected this in October. Good for DD too, most likely needed a change of scenery. As for this season you can chalk it up to injuries, if we had a health Miggy, victor and jv it would have been a different story. Bullpen was still bad but jv going deep into games would have made the pen better and we would have added some help.

Long term the injuries may turn out to be a blessing. I like how this roster could shape up next year w young pitchers and free agents.

I fear an inexperienced GM may have a tougher time convincing free agents to sign. DD is respected by a lot of people

I fear an inexperienced GM may have a tougher time convincing free agents to sign. DD is respected by a lot of people

He has been in baseball all his life.. That really does not concern me. I am sure He is well respected in baseball..He was a big help getting Miggy...

I do not believe in giving up till it's over. Besides Norris pitched pretty good and should Boyd pitch as well who knows what could come of this season.

It really comes down to how well Verlander does tonight and can the Tigers take the Royals in this series. Like a sweep would be great. And why not dream a little. After that's about all that left for now. Hey it's a chip and chair, It's not over till it's over, and I haven't heard the Fat Lady sing yet.

I am torn.. Found out on the radio and listen to some of the press conference.. DD help turn us into contenders and I appreciated that for sure.. but like has mentioned his post season record and sub par bullpens did him in.. I am concerned nothing will change he mentioned how he was in with DD on every decisions including scouting, farm system ect... He really did help DD get Miguel and wasn't he pushing for JD also... Just worried..

I agree. If we are hiring a DD disciple that doesn't have DD's reputation, connections, or ability to get a trade done, then what good is this? I think that Illitch has lost his marbles.

Yeah, maybe we can see what Randy Smith is doing

The organizational philosophy would be to draft players with high ceiling, pitch recognition, plate discipline.

Not another sarcastic bullshit line.

I think Al helped DD on every deal or at least 99% of them.. I should clarify.. I am more worried about the farm system and scouting and overall organization philosophy.. I think he will have the same problem DD did in getting free agents here .. DETROIT.

And is there a good check book behind him!!!!

The organizational philosophy would be to draft players with high ceiling, pitch recognition, plate discipline.

Not another sarcastic bullshit line.

I feel some people have forgotten what this franchise used to be before DD

Back