Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dombrowski fired, Dumb Ass Al Avila Fired Now DD back to World Series

I feel some people have forgotten what this franchise used to be before DD

Not a chance but even you have to admit we have fallen short.. While the Red Sox and Giants have 3 titles in recent years something always happened to DD's team's in the post season.. Not addressing the Bullpen probably was his biggest down fall. But most of us on here remember the smith years.. Yes they were awful. DD changed us to the good.. shame he didn't win at east two titles because he deserved it along with the fans....

Last edited:
Well DD is by far the best GM we have ever had since I started caring about sports (was born '82). I think he has a great eye for talent and really did a great job here. Sad to see him go, the devil you know is usually better than the one you don't know.

If I had to guess he is going to the MLB front office or going to take some time off and be a normal person for awhile.

As for Big (Gay) Al, let's hope he keeps the winning going and forward he starts bringing in some better young talent to lessen the payroll. Build the ML system a little better and see what happens. Or trade our prospects for a first ballot hall of famer.

Uhh, headline reads ''Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers GM''

When I posted it, it said he resigned. It was changed. I posted it at 4:30pm and if you click it, it says 10m, so it is constantly being changed.

google Dave Dombrowski resigns and several come up with that headline. Assurate? No clue. Was just posting what I saw at the time.

No one forgets what this team was like before Dombrowski came in.

There's too much problem history with your previous statement.
I'm not buying it.

didn't think he'd be back next year but didn't see this coming wow...now let Brad go next

Last edited:
From Randy Smith's bio:

"Catcher Brad Ausmus was involved in five trades by Smith, being acquired three times and twice being traded away."

From Randy Smith's bio:

"Catcher Brad Ausmus was involved in five trades by Smith, being acquired three times and twice being traded away."

Just can't get rid of this ausmus guy can we. Lol

Hmmmm.....

Meanwhile, in Boston, the Red Sox announced this weekend president and CEO Larry Lucchino would step down at the end of this season.

Dombrowski's contract would have expired at the end of the season, so his release at this point indicates he has another job lined up.

Hmmmm.....

Meanwhile, in Boston, the Red Sox announced this weekend president and CEO Larry Lucchino would step down at the end of this season.

Dombrowski's contract would have expired at the end of the season, so his release at this point indicates he has another job lined up.

I'll bet he ends up in Toronto or CA

You mean just before DD?

Sure DD went and gave us a good shot at getting to and winning a WS title(s) but that didn't work and now we have a mess. Any player of decent ranking in the minors he shipped off as soon as he could, but didn't do a great job of replenishing that system that is so important to the big league club until this years trade deadline.

So no, I haven't forgotten what this franchise was before DD, or before Randy Smith even. Franchises ebb and flow and right now we're heading towards low tide, and the lean few years we will have soon will be DD's legacy as much as the winning seasons.

You mean just before DD?

Sure DD went and gave us a good shot at getting to and winning a WS title(s) but that didn't work and now we have a mess. Any player of decent ranking in the minors he shipped off as soon as he could, but didn't do a great job of replenishing that system that is so important to the big league club until this years trade deadline.

So no, I haven't forgotten what this franchise was before DD, or before Randy Smith even. Franchises ebb and flow and right now we're heading towards low tide, and the lean few years we will have soon will be DD's legacy as much as the winning seasons.

I think with the right FA's this team could be pretty good next year.

From MLive....

DETROIT -- Al Avila did not go into specifics regarding his new contract Tuesday afternoon after taking over as the general manager of the Detroit Tigers.

But a source told MLive.com on Tuesday evening that the deal is for five seasons beyond the current one.

Avila said during a press conference introducing him as general manager only that the contract length gave him the "security" necessary for the job.

"I do have a contract," he said. "I signed the contract today, but I don't want to really expound on the contract at this point. It's a number of years that is long enough that will give you the security that you need to continue to build on a winning tradition."

The contract stretches through the end of the 2020 season. The details regarding Avila's salary were not immediately available Tuesday evening.

Al Avila is the guy in charge of personnel decisions. Alex Avila will be a free agent in two months.

"You know how you go back to Little League and the dad used to be the coach and his son always played and was the fourth batter?" Al Avila said. "That ain't gonna happen here.

"It is very unique and actually it's very awkward," he continued. "But it's actually been that way since the day we drafted him."

The Tigers drafted Alex Avila in the fifth round of the 2008 draft despite the protests of his father, Al Avila recalled.

"I think you guys know the story were I didn't want us to draft him," Al Avila said. "I pleaded with David Chadd not to. But the story goes, as you all know, we've said it a million times, he said he took the best player on the board and at the end of the day I think he was right because, after all, he did help us get to the World Series and he was an All-Star."

"As of late, he has not played very well, or should I say he has not hit as well," Al Avila said. "That's obviously a burden. But as awkward as it has been, it's also been a blessing. It's a very unique situation. And sometimes it runs its course. I don't know. It is what it is and as a family, we deal with it."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/08/al_avila_being_gm_of_team_that.html

Al Avila is the guy in charge of personnel decisions. Alex Avila will be a free agent in two months.

"You know how you go back to Little League and the dad used to be the coach and his son always played and was the fourth batter?" Al Avila said. "That ain't gonna happen here.

"It is very unique and actually it's very awkward," he continued. "But it's actually been that way since the day we drafted him."

The Tigers drafted Alex Avila in the fifth round of the 2008 draft despite the protests of his father, Al Avila recalled.

"I think you guys know the story were I didn't want us to draft him," Al Avila said. "I pleaded with David Chadd not to. But the story goes, as you all know, we've said it a million times, he said he took the best player on the board and at the end of the day I think he was right because, after all, he did help us get to the World Series and he was an All-Star."

"As of late, he has not played very well, or should I say he has not hit as well," Al Avila said. "That's obviously a burden. But as awkward as it has been, it's also been a blessing. It's a very unique situation. And sometimes it runs its course. I don't know. It is what it is and as a family, we deal with it."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/08/al_avila_being_gm_of_team_that.html

I like that answer.

Hmmmm.....

John Henry did own the Marlins for a couple years while DD was there

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Minor leaguer's were shipped for vets goes back to MI. He wants to win, maybe too much - which I suspect will continue. Not sure if the 6 players we got will stay long but I suspect no and that 2-3 years from now we'll be in the same boat, old team with no young talent and expensive.

Yeah, maybe we can see what Randy Smith is doing

So you are OK with an organization that drafts no position players to speak of, just power pitchers. And they preach hacking and being aggressive at the plate?

It isn't about wins and losses per se. It is about the direction this organization is/was going.

And FYI...Avila is acquiring a minor league system rated as the worst in MLB. That is no different than what Randy Smith acquired.

Smith became GM prior to 1996 season and was fired shortly after the start of 2002. A very small amount over 6 seasons. At no time during his tenure did Mr. I allow him to sign top FAs. But he did make trades hoping to get something in return. Both Smith and DD took what they could and made trades hoping to strike gold. Smith didn't, DD did. Add to the fact that DD was given a open purse.

At the end of the day I could see this coming as he was not extended a contract. He will probably end up in Boston. I think the whole coaching staff is gone if they fail to make the playoffs which is pretty likely. I would not be surprised to see Lance Parrish or Brandon Hyde as the 2016 manager. Ausmus has not done a very good job in my opinion. I would like to see a fresh start.

We have a decent team and with a few good moves we should contend next year. We have to get that bullpen in order first and foremost. Then get a starting pitcher and a OF. Problem is they should probably start building for player development as opposed to free agents moving forward.

I would like to see them get Parra for LF / CF. Parra should be somewhat affordable and he can bat leadoff with his .425 OBP hitting in #1 spot, plus he can play CF well. Gose doesn't hit enough to play everyday so we should give Parra CF and run Collins out to LF everyday. Castellanos drives me insane with his .294 OBP. and suspect fielding but he is under control and we could do worse I suppose. Maybe get Tommy Hunter and Jerry Blevins for the bullpen? Please end the Krohl and AL AL experiment. Someone needs to teach Farmer how to pitch, he has good stuff but leaves it up all the time. We can figure out closer as it unfolds, I am fine with Wilson at this stage to see if he can handle it.

At the end of the day I could see this coming as he was not extended a contract. He will probably end up in Boston. I think the whole coaching staff is gone if they fail to make the playoffs which is pretty likely. I would not be surprised to see Lance Parrish or Brandon Hyde as the 2016 manager. Ausmus has not done a very good job in my opinion. I would like to see a fresh start.

We have a decent team and with a few good moves we should contend next year. We have to get that bullpen in order first and foremost. Then get a starting pitcher and a OF. Problem is they should probably start building for player development as opposed to free agents moving forward.

I would like to see them get Parra for LF / CF. Parra should be somewhat affordable and he can bat leadoff with his .425 OBP hitting in #1 spot, plus he can play CF well. Gose doesn't hit enough to play everyday so we should give Parra CF and run Collins out to LF everyday. Castellanos drives me insane with his .294 OBP. and suspect fielding but he is under control and we could do worse I suppose. Maybe get Tommy Hunter and Jerry Blevins for the bullpen? Please end the Krohl and AL AL experiment. Someone needs to teach Farmer how to pitch, he has good stuff but leaves it up all the time. We can figure out closer as it unfolds, I am fine with Wilson at this stage to see if he can handle it.

Parra seems like reasonable LF option but your OBP seems way off for him. This season is his career best and it is .365.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/parrage01.shtml

Back