Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dombrowski is the Red Sox new President of Baseball Operations

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Red Sox announce Dave Dombrowski joining immediately as president of baseball operations.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/...ball-operations-ben-cherington-out-as-gm.html
Red Sox Name Dave Dombrowski President Of Baseball Operations; Ben Cherington Steps Down As GM.

http://nesn.com/2015/08/dave-dombrowski-hired-as-red-sox-president-of-baseball-operations/
Dombrowski hired as red sox president of baseball operations effectively immediately.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/14394...id=633819107066933249&adbpl=tw&adbpr=18479513
Red Sox hire Dombrowski; Cherington to step aside.
mlb.com

Last edited:
He should do well there. Doesn't Boston already have a top 3 farm system? He can start trading those pieces. :)

Now you can tell all your Boston fan neighbors they can look forward shity bull pens for years to come?

Now you can tell all your Boston fan neighbors they can look forward shity bull pens for years to come?

I sure hope so.

This just makes this Tigers season and everything that has happened up until now even more weird.

I called that one. Here comes the spending

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We've had it good for a while, I'm expecting the worst. Watch them have the best bullpen in MLB for the next 5 years. I will die a little.

I called that one. Here comes the spending

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You mean because they didn't spend last off season? LOL

They signed some of the worst contracts I can remember

Porcello...just LOL
Hanley to play OF....even more LOL
Sandoval....no thanks

Baffled that the Sox would look at the Tigers' regression and want Dombrowski. JMO

Baffled that the Sox would look at the Tigers' regression and want Dombrowski. JMO

Did you miss the years from '06 to '14 where the Tigers were perennial playoff and World Series contenders after taking over a team from Randy Smith that lost 219 games the two years after he left?

My guess is they're looking at THAT guy.

Last edited:
Did you miss the years from '06 to '14 where the Tigers were perennial playoff and World Series contenders after taking over a team from Randy Smith that lost 119 games?

My guess is they're looking at THAT part.

1. '07 '08, '10: 8 games, 14.5 games, 13 games out respectively
2. The ULTIMATE OBJECTIVE WAS NOT ACHIEVED AND HE IS ACCOUNTABLE
3. The PRESENT STATE OF THE TEAM IS ABOMINABLE ON HIS WATCH
4. He NEVER HAD A RELIABLE BULLPEN IN ALL HIS TENURE HERE
5. He HIRED BRAD AUSMUS

THAT is what I am looking at.

EDIT: If they are bringing in DD to be a trade-monger to rebuild the Sox to win a WS I remind you that the Red Sox WON TWO WS TITLES WHILE DD WAS RUNNING THE TIGERS AND GUTTED THE ORGANIZATION.

Last edited:
1. '07 '08, '10: 8 games, 14.5 games, 13 games out respectively
2. The ULTIMATE OBJECTIVE WAS NOT ACHIEVED AND HE IS ACCOUNTABLE
3. The PRESENT STATE OF THE TEAM IS ABOMINABLE ON HIS WATCH
4. He NEVER HAD A RELIABLE BULLPEN IN ALL HIS TENURE HERE
5. He HIRED BRAD AUSMUS

THAT is what I am looking at.

Dombrowski is almost universally thought of as an elite GM.

But, you probably know better than everyone else.

Dombrowski is almost universally thought of as an elite GM.

But, you probably know better than everyone else.

I notice that you did not refute a single statement. And, by the way, DD's first year with the Tigers was 2002. He fired Smith six games into the '02 season.

DD's first four seasons as the GM:

DET 2002 55 100 .355 5th in AL Central
DET 2003 43 119 .265 5th in AL Central
DET 2004 72 90 .444 4th in AL Central
DET 2005 71 91 .438 4th in AL Central

I notice that you did not refute a single statement. And, by the way, DD's first year with the Tigers was 2002. He fired Smith six games into the '02 season.

DD's first four seasons as the GM:

DET 2002 55 100 .355 5th in AL Central
DET 2003 43 119 .265 5th in AL Central
DET 2004 72 90 .444 4th in AL Central
DET 2005 71 91 .438 4th in AL Central

So, you're saying he should have turned the Tigers around in less than two year?? The entire organization?

LOL....you used the first four years of taking over the worst team in professional sports (at the time) as an example of how good of a GM he is?? I see you stopped just short of the '06 season!!!!

There's no arguing with stupid.

Carry on.

So, you're saying he should have turned the Tigers around in less than two year?? The entire organization?

Nope. Just citing facts about his first four seasons here. You are making up arguments in your own head.

LOL....you used the first four years of taking over the worst team in professional sports (at the time) as an example of how good of a GM he is?? I see you stopped just short of the '06 season!!!!

Another straw argument. I think you can admit that the 06 season was a bit of an outlier, given what happened in '07, '08 and '10. ('09 was a complete collapse).

Tigers' WP from 07-10: .507. That's mediocre.

The timeline of "success" actually started in '11. So it took NINE YEARS to become a "perennial playoff and World Series contender." Tigers' 11-14 WP: .564.

And they never one a WS under DD's tenure. Right?

Did you miss the years from '06 to '14 where the Tigers were perennial playoff and World Series contenders after taking over a team from Randy Smith that lost 219 games the two years after he left?

My guess is they're looking at THAT guy.

Let's see. DD took over as GM early in 2002. He was made President and CEO before that in 2002. Meaning, he was temporarily Smith's boss.

Randy Smith never had the President and CEO titles when he was in DET. He inherited a worse team and minor league system than what Avila inherits. When Smith left, DD inherited a better minor league system than what Smith inherited. And during Smith's tenure, Illitch never opened up the purse strings (except possibly resigning Gonzalez, which never happened) or at least to the degree he did with DD.

DD is responsible for 2003, not Smith. Smith made quite a few trades in 2002 and 2003 and I am stumped to find one that turned out significantly better for DET.

The following were signed as Free Agents after 2003 and before 2004 season:

Warren Morris (2003 starting 2B and he was resigned)
Marcus Thames
Ivan Rodriguez
Jason Smith
Mike DiFelice
Al Levine
Fernando Vina
Rondell White
Jason Johnson
Greg Norton
Esteban Yan
Ugueth Urbina

He traded for Carlos Guillen and he drafted Chris Shelton and Lino Uradenta in the Rule 5 draft.

He had almost as many Free Agents after the 2004 season, including Magglio Ordonez, Troy Percival. Ramon Martinez, Jason Grilli and Sean Douglas.

I can make a great case that DD built this team by buying Free Agents, with some fortunate trades in between. He certainly left the minors in worse shape then when he got it.

Let's see. DD took over as GM early in 2002. He was made President and CEO before that in 2002. Meaning, he was temporarily Smith's boss.

Randy Smith never had the President and CEO titles when he was in DET. He inherited a worse team and minor league system than what Avila inherits. When Smith left, DD inherited a better minor league system than what Smith inherited. And during Smith's tenure, Illitch never opened up the purse strings (except possibly resigning Gonzalez, which never happened) or at least to the degree he did with DD.

DD is responsible for 2003, not Smith. Smith made quite a few trades in 2002 and 2003 and I am stumped to find one that turned out significantly better for DET.

The following were signed as Free Agents after 2003 and before 2004 season:

Warren Morris (2003 starting 2B and he was resigned)
Marcus Thames
Ivan Rodriguez
Jason Smith
Mike DiFelice
Al Levine
Fernando Vina
Rondell White
Jason Johnson
Greg Norton
Esteban Yan
Ugueth Urbina

He traded for Carlos Guillen and he drafted Chris Shelton and Lino Uradenta in the Rule 5 draft.

He had almost as many Free Agents after the 2004 season, including Magglio Ordonez, Troy Percival. Ramon Martinez, Jason Grilli and Sean Douglas.

I can make a great case that DD built this team by buying Free Agents, with some fortunate trades in between. He certainly left the minors in worse shape then when he got it.

I think Avila may have inherited a worse farm system! Dead last in MLB!

Back