Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Angels @ Tigers 8-26-2015 Game 126

Most posters don't show up until there's something to bitch about

tomdalton22 Too bad they are out of it. Only 3 of us here. 17 posts on a no-no through 7 :(

I worked today and have cigar night Wednesdays.
Came home to watch the last 2 innings, and catch up on the team notes.
Very proud of Verlander. He's been back for several starts, just hasn't got the run support to get the wins.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/is-justin-verlander-back/
Is Justin Verlander back?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-if-justin-verlander-figured-it-out/
What if Justin Verlander figured it out?

STREAKS AND STATS:

Verlander's no-hit bid was his seventh of at least six innings over the last five seasons, two more than any other pitcher in baseball.

Ian Kinsler blasted a triple to center field in the first inning. It marked his seventh triple of the season, second-most on the team only to Rajai Davis, who has eight.
Kinsler's triple also gave him an eight-game hitting streak.

Nick Castellanos' home run in the second was his 15th of the season. The ball traveled an estimated 423 per Statcast. It also marked the first-career hit off Hector Santiago as Castellanos had been 0-for-7 with three strikeouts to that point.

Victor Martinez is 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position. Not the kind of streak want to have going on.

J.D. Martinez hit a ground-rule double to start the fourth, giving him a six-game hitting streak.

Jose Iglesias was intentionally walked for the second time in his MLB career. His last -- and first -- IBB was on May 31, also against the Angels.

Rajai Davis stole his 18th base of the season in the bottom of the fifth inning.

Miguel Cabrera blasted his 17th home run of the season to left in the fifth inning. The knock gave him an 11-game hitting streak and with his walk in the third has reached base safely in all 12 games since returning from the DL.

Miguel Cabrera's 407th career home run, tied him with Duke Snider for 51st on the all-time MLB home run record.

J.D. Martinez smoked his 34th home run just fair of the left foul pole in the fifth, a two-run shot. His 34 home runs at the time put him in a four-way tie with Chris Davis, Josh Donaldson, and Albert Pujols for the second-most in the AL. (Davis has since hit his 35th.) Only Nelson Cruz has more, with 39.

Just 23 years old too. Can't believe there are idiots that want him gone. He's hardly been the reason for our struggles.

26 of 29 MLB 3B in wRC+ Away

27 of 28 MLB 3B in UZR/150

Add this with last year, and he is by far the worst MLB 3B. His recent up tick is due to facing LHP, which he did again last night. And more specifically, it is at home verus LHP in his career. And while he isn't the sole reason for our struggles, he certainly is a large contributor.

Last 3 years Away MLB 3B (35 Qualify with 500 PA)

Castellanos 31st of 35 with 78 wRC+

Last 3 years UZR/150 (35 qualify with 1500 Innings)

Castellanos 34th of 35 with -18.3 (M. Cabrera was 35th)

23 is a number. It is not a magic number to excuse all others. There is no indications he is improving. None. In fact, his line drive rate is significantly lower than last year. Additionally, none of his PitchFx data (contact rates, etc) is changed all that much if any.

Yup, call me the idiot.

Last edited:
tomdalton22 Too bad they are out of it. Only 3 of us here. 17 posts on a no-no through 7 :(

I worked today and have cigar night Wednesdays.
Came home to watch the last 2 innings, and catch up on the team notes.
Very proud of Verlander. He's been back for several starts, just hasn't got the run support to get the wins.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/is-justin-verlander-back/
Is Justin Verlander back?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-if-justin-verlander-figured-it-out/
What if Justin Verlander figured it out?

I remembered that you had cigar night on Wednesdays. At least you got home in time to catch the last few innings.

Verlander just missed the three-no-hit club. Dammit. Idle observation: Ryan had TWENTY-FOUR no-hitters broken up in the 7th inning or later.

Last edited:
Of all the damn batters.. My aunt and uncle are up from South Carolina and me and my uncle were watching JV's chance at a No-No and as soon as CI came to bat I cringed...Damn JV was dominate... Oh is he had only wasted that 2-2 pitch.. I know CI would have missed it...

I wouldn't say get rid of Nick but I hope he improves big time in 2016. If it's status quo you have to seriously think about a replacement..

Who is going to post the game thread for today's game? I'm using my handheld device for the Internet right now and don't have the resources really to do it and I'm not good at it anyway.

Remember it's a 1:10 PM start in Detroit; so it's about to get underway, the angels telecast has already started.

Castellanos 2015

Home vs LHP .417 BAVG .482 OBP .646 SLG 1.128 OPS .486 BABIP 28.2% LD 12.5% BB

Home vs RHP .225 BAVG .293 OBP .391 SLG .683 OPS .286 BABIP 18.7% LD 9.0% BB

Away vs LHP .292 BAVG .333 OBP .521 SLG .854 OPS .367 BABIP 39.4% LD 5.9% BB

Away vs RHP .210 BAVG .249 OBP .364 SLG .613 OPS .235 BABIP 18.4% LD 4.6% BB

Castellanos Career

Home vs LHP .328 BAVG .395 OBP .516 SLG .910 OPS .380 BABIP 22.1% LD 10.9% BB

Home vs RHP .258 BAVG .309 OBP .408 SLG .717 OPS .315 BABIP 25.3% LD 7.0% BB

Away vs LHP .237 BAVG .305 OBP .381 SLG .686 OPS .304 BABIP 26.5% LD 8.4% BB

Away vs RHP .232 BAVG .265 OBP .371 SLG .636 OPS .290 BABIP 25.7% LD 4.1% BB

BABIP = Batting Average Balls In Play. Usually, higher Line Drive % (LD%) equates to higher Batting Average and higher BABIP. Most players not named Miguel Cabrera cannot maintain a BABIP above .350, let alone .300 (average). The median AL BABIP this year is .297, .293 vs RHP. .303 BABIP as a Righthanded Bat against LHP. .286 as R vs RHP.

The issue is, Castellanos has a overall lower Line Drive rate in 2015, then in 2014. His BABIP accordingly is lower in 2015, then in 2014. 28 point difference is a significant change. So much, that these stats suggest he should have a much lower production in 2015 than in 2014. But that isn't the case.

The study of all of his stats show that his stat against LHP this year, but in particular at home, is unrepeatable. Additionally, he has regressed in his line drive rate against RHP. That trend cannot continue if he expects success.

Back