Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"I wish Verlander was a True Ace"

You should use your favorite stats...last 3 years away.

But does it prove that he wasn't an Ace during the timeframe that was stated he wasn't?

FYI..last 3 years Away (130 qualify with 150 IP)

2nd in IP (behind Shields but just ahead of Scherzer)

2nd in SO (behind Scherzer)

13th in FIP (6th in AL)

Last 3 Years Away FIP

5. Scherzer 2.92
13. Verlander 3.15
15. A. Sanchez 3.19
16. D. Price 3.21
17. Smyly 3.26

50. Porcello 3.81
51. Simon 3.81
61. Fister 3.97

87. C.C. Sabthia 4.23
89. M. Cain 4.25
90. M. Garza 4.25
103. E. Santana 4.45
115. Jered Weaver 4.66

Damn it.......was hoping I could bump this with another no hitter.

Either way.......great game.

Here's hoping he's BACK!!!!

Verlander's been back his last several starts, just didn't get any run support. iirc 1.67 ERA last 6 or 7 starts.

From before tonights game.
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/is-justin-verlander-back/
Is Justin Verlander back?

I was thinking more of a permanent return to form.......more than a 6 or 7 game sample.

Still think he should have thrown slider on the 2-2 pitch to Ianetta.....who was sitting dead fastball. Just missed his spot.

Dominant "retro" performance though!!!

I was thinking more of a permanent return to form.......more than a 6 or 7 game sample.

Still think he should have thrown slider on the 2-2 pitch to Ianetta.....who was sitting dead fastball. Just missed his spot.

Funny how a 6 or 7 game sample was all it took for many to claim he was washed up, you included if I recall.

He missed a lot of time, and was coming off his first ever DL stint with an injury. Lots of people around here have a shitload of crow to eat, plenty complaining about how he was washed up, garbage, terrible contract, etc. And yet he's still showing he has what it takes to be a top of the rotation pitcher. There is a reason people compare him to Newhouser and Lolich.

You are right.. I was sitting with my uncle and said trow it off the damn plate CI will swing through it... shoot... that damn bat i own...

Funny how a 6 or 7 game sample was all it took for many to claim he was washed up, you included if I recall.

He missed a lot of time, and was coming off his first ever DL stint with an injury. Lots of people around here have a shitload of crow to eat, plenty complaining about how he was washed up, garbage, terrible contract, etc. And yet he's still showing he has what it takes to be a top of the rotation pitcher. There is a reason people compare him to Newhouser and Lolich.

You do not recall, correctly anyway.

Thanks for playin......have a good day.

Too bad he doesn't have more wins the past 6 weeks. He's been really good.

You do not recall, correctly anyway.

Thanks for playin......have a good day.

http://detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?p=585636&highlight=verlander#post585636

Glad someone brought this back up. I also didn't like either move......but as of now....they are both working in Detroit's favor.

Lots of season left to go.....but I am really glad we didn't pay Porcello big $ to be a terrible #5 starter. We have one of those......his name is Verlander.

It is more than 6 or 7 starts.

8 Quality Starts out of the last 11 Starts = 72.7%

11 GS 74.3 IP (**6.75 IP/GS) 59 H 25 ER 17 BB 67 SO 3.03 ERA 1.02 WHIP

**For his career, Verlander has averaged 6.64 IP/GS

Detroit scored exactly 20 runs for Verlander in those 11 Games. That is 2.4 Runs Per Game in "offensive" support. No wonder he is 2-5 during those games.

Verlander since the All Star Break

5th in WAR

5th in Innings Pitched

6th in K/BB Ratio

8th in WHIP

10th in Strikeouts

14th in ERA

15th in OPP BAVG

There is no mystery to this. Why people insist that there is is beyond me.

In 2013 he reported some unusual soreness. But pitched through, the Team was in the hung, as always, but his velo dipped and his results slipped, not a lot, but significantly on both counts. His max fastball lost around 3mph, essentially over night.
In the off season he had surgery to repair the injury.
That surgery takes 18ish months to recover from.
He didn't take 2014 off, in fact, he didn't take any time off. He lost another 3mphish off of his fastball and had the worst season of his career.
He hit the off season like a man possessed, put on 30# of muscle, came into Spring ready to kill it. Got a triceps strain for his troubles.
Came back mid-season (18 months after his surgery), took about a month to get into form, struggled against hitters that were in mid-season form, but once he was in form he started to DOMINATE because he was fully healthy for the first time in probably more than 2 years!
He has slowly worked himself back into full on JV shape, and he still isn't there -- Drew Sharp I think compared Verlander to a Ferrari, when he is on he is a finely tuned machine, but it takes a bit to get him into that sort of form. He was more out of form than he had been since (maybe) when he was a teenager when he finally started pitching this year.

Don't worry about him. He hit 99mph for the second time this season today. Threw four easy 98mph fastballs.

He'll probably touch 100mph in his last start.
He will certainly do so next season as he gets back to his standard Velo. By the end of the 2016 season 2014 JV will be long forgotten by the dimwitted fans and sports writers.

It isn't about the innings pitched or the # of pitches, Verlander is made of the same kind of stuff the Legends are made off. Randy Johnson pitched a heck of a lot of innings, threw lots of pitches, and threw his fastest in game fast ball in his 40s.

JV has plenty of gas in the tank. All the contrary talk is just superstition.

As a pitcher gets older, sure the heat gets a little harder to find, a little harder to throw, but it doesn't disappear. That is silly.

Back