Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Mariners 8-10-16 Game 114

That settles it, Collins should be starting over JD

Certainly you are trying to poke holes in the summary, however the 20 game sample size for Collins can easily be dismissed with a 2 win swing (10-10 verus 12-8) when compared to J.D. Where the same case cannot be made against McCann and Salty.

You want a serious discussion. Great. Otherwise I have no time to reply to your juvenile retorts.

Certainly you are trying to poke holes in the summary, however the 20 game sample size for Collins can easily be dismissed with a 2 win swing (10-10 verus 12-8) when compared to J.D. Where the same case cannot be made against McCann and Salty.

You want a serious discussion. Great. Otherwise I have no time to reply to your juvenile retorts.

Then why even give any credibility to these?

A. Gose 13-14 .481 WPCT

M. Aviles 20-23 .476 WPCT

A. Romine 10-12 .455 WPCT

Then why even give any credibility to these?

A. Gose 13-14 .481 WPCT

M. Aviles 20-23 .476 WPCT

A. Romine 10-12 .455 WPCT

Sample Size

McCann = 64

Saltalamacchia = 48

In this case, it is almost entirely an either or with these two.

In Collins case, he has played LF, CF and RF. He has not been a straight alternative to J.D. And it is based on 20 games, of which he started 5 games in RF. Not even a valid discussion and just an example of a flippant response.

We know Gose played CF, so his comparison is to Maybin, and is valid, no?

With Romine and Aviles, take your pick. In any case they are at the bottom whether you compare them with J.D. in RF for Aviles or Iggy with Romine.

Do you need me to expound further?

Last edited:
Sample Size

McCann = 64

Saltalamacchia = 48

In this case, it is almost entirely an either or with these two.

In Collins case, he has played LF, CF and RF. He has not been a straight alternative to J.D. And it is based on 20 games, of which he started 5 games in RF. Not even a valid discussion and just an example of a flippant response.

We know Gose played CF, so his comparison is to Maybin, and is valid, no?

With Romine and Aviles, take your pick. In any case they are at the bottom whether you compare them with J.D. in RF for Aviles or Iggy with Romine.

Do you need me to expound further?

I was talking about your comment "Certainly you are trying to poke holes in the summary, however the 20 game sample size for Collins can easily be dismissed with a 2 win swing (10-10 verus 12-8)"

You could do the same to Gose, Aviles and Romine

I was talking about your comment "Certainly you are trying to poke holes in the summary, however the 20 game sample size for Collins can easily be dismissed with a 2 win swing (10-10 verus 12-8)"

You could do the same to Gose, Aviles and Romine

Tom, that is not what you inferred. And you cannot do the same with Gose, Aviles and Romine. I would like you to try and show that without getting wacky. 2 wins with Gose won't get him to Maybin's winning percentage. Same with Romine to Iggy. Aviles has been all over the field. Who do you suggest we compare him to ? J.D. as well?

Tom, that is not what you inferred. And you cannot do the same with Gose, Aviles and Romine. I would like you to try and show that without getting wacky. 2 wins with Gose won't get him to Maybin's winning percentage. Same with Romine to Iggy. Aviles has been all over the field. Who do you suggest we compare him to ? J.D. as well?

I'm not comparing them to anybody...I was talking about your 2 win swing comment. You can dismiss Aviles, Gose & Romines poor records with a 2 win swing too. That's all I was saying.

A. Gose 13-14 to 15-12

M. Aviles 20-23 to 22-21

A. Romine 10-12 to 12-10

Last edited:
I'm not comparing them to anybody...I was talking about your 2 win swing comment. You can dismiss Aviles, Gose & Romines poor records with a 2 win swing too. That's all I was saying.

A. Gose 13-14 to 15-12

M. Aviles 20-23 to 22-21

A. Romine 10-12 to 12-10

Gotime909 makes a flippant comment after I posted the winning percentages"

"That settles it, Collins should be starting over JD"

I respond of how absurd that is given the sample size and it being just a 2-win difference in Collin's total.

And you think that argument can be applied to Gose, Aviles and Romine some how. Because the flippant comment was about Collins starting over JD. Who is Aviles, Gose and Romine starting over and why? 2 wins won't make their winning percentage better than who they would be replacing.

Sample Sizes

Aviles 43

Gose 27

Romine 22

Collins 20

The larger the sample size, the less volatile the results are. Maybe we should use Bobby Wilson's 3-1 record when he starts.

Gotime909 makes a flippant comment after I posted the winning percentages"

"That settles it, Collins should be starting over JD"

I respond of how absurd that is given the sample size and it being just a 2-win difference in Collin's total.

And you think that argument can be applied to Gose, Aviles and Romine some how. Because the flippant comment was about Collins starting over JD. Who is Aviles, Gose and Romine starting over and why? 2 wins won't make their winning percentage better than who they would be replacing.

Sample Sizes

Aviles 43

Gose 27

Romine 22

Collins 20

The larger the sample size, the less volatile the results are. Maybe we should use Bobby Wilson's 3-1 record when he starts.

I just find it silly to use team record for a starting position player. Even a W-L record for a starting pitcher is suspect because they rely on the offense to an extent...but at least they are in control of the result more so than one position player.

Cause clearly I'm serious. Lighten up guy.

I just find it silly to use team record for a starting position player. Even a W-L record for a starting pitcher is suspect because they rely on the offense to an extent...but at least they are in control of the result more so than one position player.

I agree, if you wanna use his .400 OPS vs RHP as the reason for sitting him you'll get no complaint from me. But I just don't see how anyone would use win/loss record as a gauge for worth.

Cause clearly I'm serious. Lighten up guy.

Flippant = lacking proper respect or seriousness

I got that you weren't serious, but you also don't respect anything I post. Otherwise, why even post the comment in the first place?

And FYI...I have stated numerous times, I have no qualms with McCann starting against LHP and his record against LHP is more than above .500.

It is record against RHP that is barely above .400 WPCT and probably directly correlated to that OPS. So why wouldn't the W-L record be relevant? The two are closely related are they not?

Flippant = lacking proper respect or seriousness

I got that you weren't serious, but you also don't respect anything I post. Otherwise, why even post the comment in the first place?

And FYI...I have stated numerous times, I have no qualms with McCann starting against LHP and his record against LHP is more than above .500.

It is record against RHP that is barely above .400 WPCT and probably directly correlated to that OPS. So why wouldn't the W-L record be relevant? The two are closely related are they not?

I agree with much of what you post. Outside of the game threads, I usually just post when I don't agree on something. I question other posters as well, just seems that you always take it personal.

To be honest, I don't know of a single person on this forum that is pushing for McCann to play vs RHP. I just disagreed with the stat you chose to use to make your point.

Back