Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. whitesox 8-02-16 Game 106

That shit ass avisail garcia wasn't going to catch Victor smash to right.

Tigers lead 11 - 4

I don't think i've ever seen a ball hit that far to left in comerica before... holy balls

465 foot homer by Garcia, his second tonight, nothing like ex-Tigers with an axe to grind.

Last edited:
http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/search?team_id=116&tagName=Detroit Tigers
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers 11 - 5 win over the whitesox.

Anibal Sanchez: Six innings of one-run ball. He also walked three and had just two strikeouts but his luck continued long enough.

Fifth inning: After four innings of near silence, the Tigers? offense got six runs off Shields to take their first lead of the ballgame.

Miguel Cabrera: Had a single, RBI double, and a two-run homer. Decent day.

Top four of the order: Combined, Ian Kinsler, Cameron Maybin, Cabrera, and Victor Martinez finished 8-for-17 with three walks and eight of the 11 runs scored.

Shane Greene: After a stellar July, Greene struggled with outs on Tuesday. He gave up a two-run shot to Avisail Garcia and allowed two singles.

Justin Wilson: Gave up a solo shot. Bad night for the bullpen.

Mark Lowe: I mean, it was a majestic homer, and Avisail Garcia can bomb them out. That was not good for Lowe.

STATS AND INFO:
The two triples hit by the Tigers in the fifth inning was the fourth time this year Detroit has hit two three-baggers in the same game. The last was on July 10 in a 6-1 loss to the Blue Jays.
That surpasses their 2015 total, in which they had three games with at least two triples in a game.

Tuesday night was the first time this season that Anibal Sanchez has gone at least six innings and allowed less than two runs in a start. The last time he did that was on June 15, 2015 in a shutout of the Reds. He allowed two hits in that game and struck out seven.

The last time Sanchez started a game in which the Tigers also won was on April 28 in a 7-3 win over the Athletics. Sanchez went six innings in that start and gave up three runs.

Miguel Cabrera?s home run was the 24th of the season and gave him sole occupancy of No. 46 in MLB history for homers. The home run was the 432nd of his career, passing Cal Ripken, Jr. for the spot.

Cabrera?s 11 opposite field homers are the most hit by any player in MLB. The player with the next-highest total is Chris Davis of the Orioles, with eight.

The Tigers scored 10-or-more runs in a game for the 12th time this season, second-most in the AL. Boston leads the league with 13.

The Tigers will activate rightfielder J.D. Martinez from the disabled list before Wednesday's game to take Pelfrey's spot on the 25-man roster.

DET now 58-48

40-9 .816 WPCT when they score 5 runs

18-39 .316 WPCT when they don't score 5 runs

18-11 .621 WPCT when neither team scores 5 runs

69% of their wins are when they score 5 runs or more

And article from 2005:

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/bas...ow-many-runs-do-you-have-to-score-1175552.php

I don't get your fascination with 5 runs. It's common sense. When the average runs per game in baseball is 4.4 you are going to win a lot if you score 5 or more. Furthermore, you are going to win less if you score 4 or less.

I don't get your fascination with 5 runs. It's common sense. When the average runs per game in baseball is 4.4 you are going to win a lot if you score 5 or more. Furthermore, you are going to win less if you score 4 or less.

And the point has always been, 70-75% of all AL wins over the last 20 years have come when a team scores 5 runs or more, regardless of what the pitcher does. Score 5 runs more often, win more games.

Additionally, it goes against the "pitching and defense" wins mantra. The evidence is that the more runs you score, regardless of what you give up, the more you win.

Finally, the proof is in the pudding. Both Pelfrey and Sanchez won games where the team scored 11 runs. Some starters pitch better when you spot them some runs to play with. They don't have to be so refined. People bemoan the fact we have Pelfrey and Sanchez starting. I don't care if it is Boyd and Norris, the Tigers still won't win if the offense doesn't show.

Back