Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. whitesox 8-02-16 Game 106

And the point has always been, 70-75% of all AL wins over the last 20 years have come when a team scores 5 runs or more, regardless of what the pitcher does. Score 5 runs more often, win more games.

Additionally, it goes against the "pitching and defense" wins mantra. The evidence is that the more runs you score, regardless of what you give up, the more you win.

Finally, the proof is in the pudding. Both Pelfrey and Sanchez won games where the team scored 11 runs. Some starters pitch better when you spot them some runs to play with. They don't have to be so refined. People bemoan the fact we have Pelfrey and Sanchez starting. I don't care if it is Boyd and Norris, the Tigers still won't win if the offense doesn't show.

but you always attribute the 5 or more runs to the offense when it could easily be because the other team's pitching sucks or defensive lapses by the opponent.

Im in the 'Good Pitching beats Good Hitting' camp. The Tigers offense is mashing right now, in large part due to Miggy and V-mart hitting .500+ the last week, but for as good as those guys (and the rest of the lineup) have been, a dominating pitcher can shut them down.

In the Playoffs it is even more apparent....I am far less knowledgeable than most of you on here when it comes to baseball history, but I cant recall a team in the last 10 years who won a WS title with a dominate offense, but below average pitching. I could be wrong, but it seems like usually elite pitching will beat elite hitting.

Really Tom?

I shouldn't say always...but you harp on the offense showing up when it is just as likely the offense scores 5 or more runs because the opponent's pitching just sucked that day. Kind of like when the Tigers give up 5+ runs in a game....do people give credit to the opponent's offense or do they just say the Tigers pitching staff sucked that night? I absolutely know what THIS board does. They BLAME the Tiger's pitchers and the manager.

Im in the 'Good Pitching beats Good Hitting' camp. The Tigers offense is mashing right now, in large part due to Miggy and V-mart hitting .500+ the last week, but for as good as those guys (and the rest of the lineup) have been, a dominating pitcher can shut them down.

In the Playoffs it is even more apparent....I am far less knowledgeable than most of you on here when it comes to baseball history, but I cant recall a team in the last 10 years who won a WS title with a dominate offense, but below average pitching. I could be wrong, but it seems like usually elite pitching will beat elite hitting.

There is a huge difference come playoff time. In the playoffs, teams generally only go with 3 starters. Why? Because they don't play everyday in the playoffs. And because of that, you can use your relievers in virtually every game. Odds are you are not going to see Mike Pelfreys in the playoffs. So the offense is facing the other team's best. Left versus right. Home versus away. Day versus night games. Heat versus cold weather all are important.

Back