Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

White Sox @ Tigers 8-4-16 Game 108

Zimmerman has been trash all year or since the hitters got into the flow of the season after April. He was getting bombed before the supposed injury and then he claimed he was hurt and people seemed to believe that was the reason for his Sanchez-like pitching but it was clear that he's just not a good pitcher. Every expert claimed this was the worst signing of the offseason and stated how he was coming off a career worst season where his ERA was up over a full run and sure enough they were correct. I'm sure he will say he's injured again since even though he just pitched 3 or 4 rehab start with no problem other than ineffectiveness. Don't know why he was rushed back when we have enough depth to fill in. He wasn't fooling any AAA players so I don't know what they were expecting major leaguers to do with his trash pitches.

I don't think anyone was expecting him to return to the form he had the first month. I was hoping for 5 innings of 1-2 run ball. Something to keep us in the game. It was pretty clear from the start he didn't have effective stuff. We just have to hope going forward he can right the ship and pitch more effective than Sanchez/Pelfrey.

I honestly don't have too high of hopes for Norris either and would rather see him out of the pen. But then you gotta pick your poison between Norris and Boyd....1 to start and 1 to bullpen. Pretty much a crap shoot right now after JV/Fulmer.

Damn...just turned the game on 6-1.

Yeah I just checked the score too.

I guess I haven't been expecting during the winning streak that the Tigers would go undefeated the rest of the way.

Anyway today's game will mark the two thirds point in the season.

3 straight hits followed by 3 straight pop outs. I guess if Victor was going to pinch hit that would have been a good spot to use him. 6-2 bad guys.

Ian Kinsler: Slammed a home run to left to tie the game early on.

Miguel Cabrera: Golfed a homer into left, cutting into the deficit. He also singled in the first.

Tigers bullpen: Did what Zimmermann could not and kept the White Sox off the board.

J.D. Martinez: Had a two-hit day in his first full game back from the DL, including a run scored in the seventh after a leadoff single. His other hit was a double.

HISSES:

Jordan Zimmermann: Gave up six runs in less than two innings and didn?t make it out of the second. First start back from the DL and it was short-lived.

Tigers offense: As daunting as the five-run deficit was for Detroit, the offense still failed to get to Quintana in any significant way.

STATS AND INFO:
Jordan Zimmermann lasted just 1 2/3 innings on Thursday, a tie for the shortest outing of his career. His last was on April 9, 2014 when he gave up five runs on seven hits.

The two home runs allowed by Zimmermann is the third time he?s done so in a start this year. He last surrendered two in a start on June 8 when he gave up seven runs on eight hits across 4 2/3 innings.

Alex Wilson?s 2 1/3 scoreless innings extended his uninherited-runner scoreless streak to 12 innings.
Five of the 10 runners he?s inherited have come around to score since the start of July, though.

Since May 31, Wilson has amassed a 0.96 ERA in 28 2/3 innings for the lowest ERA among American League relievers with a minimum of 25 innings pitched in that time frame. Seven of the 18 runners he?s inherited in that time have scored ? or 39 percent.

Miguel Cabrera?s home run was his 25th of the season, giving him at least 25 homers in all but two of his 14 seasons at the MLB level.

The Tigers? loss and a win by the Indians over Minnesota moves Detroit back to three games behind in the AL Central standings, and back into a tie for the second Wild Card with the Red Sox.

Zimmerman doesn't appear to have been very good today, was concerned going in not surprised.. now what. Norris, Boyd, Sanchez, JV, Fulmer, mix of Pelfrey for the rest of the year?

guessing that's were we end up.

You mean to tell me that they possibly brought a guy back before he was ready? Color me shocked!

Apparently Jordy Zimmermann is as brittle as Carlos Guillen was. Better make sure that he doesn't stumble over the baselines.

Last edited:
Apparently Jordy Zimmermann is as brittle as Carlos Guillen was. Better make sure that he doesn't stumble over the baselines.

Please don't speak of my Lord and Savior that way.

xdypzt.jpg

Quote from an article KC posted:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/08/04/detroit-tigers-victor-martinez/88269622/

Martinez took a foul ball off his foot in Wednesday’s game, but Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said no when asked if that’s why he missed today's game.

The Tigers initially said Martinez was ill when the new lineup was posted, then said he was just given an extra day to rest.

Ausmsus said after the game that Martinez was available to pinch hit, if the situation had arose, but was ailing.

“He wasn’t feeling good today,” Ausmus said. “Illness. He was ill. Ailing. I got a text from him this morning after we posted the lineup. He wasn’t feeling good so I just told him we’d give him the day and to check with (athletic trainer) Kevin (Rand) when he got in.

“Just a health thing. We don’t expect it to be long-term.”

I'll be surprised if he's in the lineup tonight to be honest. :shrug:

Met's have lost 6 of their last 9. We gotta take this series. Almost had the wife talked into going to the game tonight but she would rather have friends over to watch the opening of the Olympics. JV vs Thor would be an awesome game to be at. Unless we lose of course. LOL

Last edited:
Back