Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Mariners 8-10-16 Game 114

Miggy just looks like he could care less tonight or maybe he wwas just befuddled that at bat.

Last edited:
Upton starts road trip 1 for 14. Makes last out . He is so freaking lost at the plate.just can't lose that game last night verses that pitcher we had on the ropes . These west coast trips just freaking kill us..

Last edited:
Let's beat a dead horse some more...

Catchers starting vs RHP

Anyone but McCann = 31-16 .660 WPCT

McCann = 14-21 .400 WPCT

.660 WPCT x 35 games = 23 wins, 9 more than what McCann has.

Justin Verlander: Another game, another dominant outing from Verlander. The Tigers? ace went seven strong in this game, and his only blemish was a Robinson Cano home run that just barely cleared the left field wall.

Victor Martinez: He was the Tigers? only real offensive threat in this game, reaching base four times, including two of their four hits. His seven-pitch walk in the sixth helped drive up Hernandez?s pitch count and get the Tigers into the Mariners bullpen.

Justin Wilson: He might just want to forget the last two days happened.

Justin Upton: The bottom half of the Tigers? lineup struggled, but Upton?s weak groundout with two runners on in the fourth was a real killer. He went 0-for-4.

STATS AND INFO:
The loss dropped the Tigers to 0-5,748 all-time at Safeco Field (give or take a win or two).

We are done playing at West Coast (CA, WA) teams.

2016 (2-7) = 28 runs in 9 games = 3.1 Runs Per Game

2015 (4-6) = 37 runs in 10 games = 3.7 Runs Per Game

2014 (6-10) = 44 runs in 16 games = 2.8 Runs Per Game

2013 (4-5) = 32 runs in 9 games = 3.6 Runs Per Game

2012 (3-7) = 32 runs in 10 games = 3.2 Runs Per Game

2011 (8-9) = 51 runs in 17 games = 3.0 Runs Per Game

2010 (6-8) = 51 runs in 12 games = 4.3 Runs Per Game

2009 (7-8) = 66 runs in 15 games = 4.4 Runs Per Game

2008 (9-10) = 75 runs in 19 games = 3.9 Runs Per Game

2007 (5-10) = 80 runs in 15 games = 5.3 Runs Per Game

The last time we had a winning record was 2006.

2006 (9-6) = 57 runs in 15 games = 3.8 Runs Per Game

'84 35-5 Tigers juggernaut was swept @ Mariners in 3 as well.

Let's beat a dead horse some more...

Catchers starting vs RHP

Anyone but McCann = 31-16 .660 WPCT

McCann = 14-21 .400 WPCT

.660 WPCT x 35 games = 23 wins, 9 more than what McCann has.

is that how stats work....attribute the losing to one player?

I wouldn't try to because it's impossible when there are 8 other batters and a pitching staff to consider. Not to mention the caliber of the opposing pitcher.

I guess that is the difference. I don't complicate the raw data when it is so strikingly different. It isn't rocket science.

I guess that is the difference. I don't complicate the raw data when it is so strikingly different. It isn't rocket science.

let's just compare last night's game to a recent game by a RH pitcher that Salty caught.

Seattle pitcher : King Felix

Tiger's lineup

Kinsler
Collins
Miggy
V Mart
JD
Upton
McGeee
McCann
Aviles

Tigers lost 1-3. McCann went 0-3 with a K

Here is a recent game that Salty Caught

Houston Pitcher McHugh

Tiger's lineup

Kinsler
Maybin
Miggy
V Mart
Castellanos
Upton
Collins
Salty
Iggy

Tigers won. Salty went 0-3 with a K but did have a sac fly RBI

NOTE: McCann did have a PH HR in this game.

I think the point he is trying to make is maybe Salty should play verses rhp and Mccann verses lhp. McCann can't buy a hit off a rhp this year sadly. It's about giving your team the best chance to win which time and again beautiful Brad fails to do. Yes the whole damn line up sucked last night but i would have much pefered Salty batting over Mccann last night.

Last edited:
Should be that way from the start. McCann should never start vs a RHP and Salty shouldn't start vs a LHP. That's why Matt is dumb.

You lost me. Weren't you the one that said pitchers shouldn't be judged by wins/losses? But now you're saying catchers should?

I agree with your premise that they've had the split wrong, but using win/loss record is extremely lazy.

I think the point he is trying to make is maybe Salty should play verses rhp and Mccann verses lhp. McCann can't buy a hit off a rhp this year sadly. It's about giving your team the best chance to win which time and again beautiful Brad fails to do. Yes the whole damn line up sucked last night but i would have much pefered Salty batting over Mccann last night.

yes...I think we all agree that McCann should have minimal starts vs. RH pitching. Rebiv was implying that the Tigers would have 9 more wins if Salty started every game vs. RH pitching which is a crazy thing to imply because of all of the other influences.

'84 35-5 Tigers juggernaut was swept @ Mariners in 3 as well.

Was living in SoCal at the time. Brother and I got tickets for the 3 games in Anaheim. Tigers were 32-5 going in, swept the Angels to get to their famous 35-5. Then promptly got swept in Seattle....remember it well.

I wouldn't try to because it's impossible when there are 8 other batters and a pitching staff to consider. Not to mention the caliber of the opposing pitcher.

Record when starting

J. Saltalamacchia 30-18 .625 WPCT

T. Collins 12-8 .600 WPCT

C. Maybin 35-24 .593 WPCT

N. Castellanos 59-45 .567 WPCT

S. Moya 14-11 .560 WPCT

I. Kinsler 59-49 .546 WPCT

J. Iglesias 54-47 .535 WPCT

M. Cabrera 59-52 .532 WPCT

V. Martinez 54-48 .529 WPCT

J. Upton 56-50 .528 WPCT

J.D. Martinez 36-36 .500 WPCT

A. Gose 13-14 .481 WPCT

M. Aviles 20-23 .476 WPCT

J. McCann 30-34 .469 WPCT

A. Romine 10-12 .455 WPCT

Not many would be surprise to see Gose, Aviles and Romine in the bottom 4. They would not be making excuses about the other 8 who played with them and/or who the pitcher was. These aren't coincidence. McCann actually has a decent/winning record against LHP. Salty is 0-3 in starts against LHP.

The fact is there is a reason why DET has a losing record when Mike Aviles starts. Or when Romine starts, etc, etc.

Back