Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Contenders or pretenders

WAR Rankings

C = 15th
1B = 4th
2B = 5th
SS = 18th
3B = 22nd
LF = 27th
CF = 20th
RF = 27th
DH = 6th

TEAM = 17th

Run Created+

C = 22nd
1B = 2nd
2B = 5th
SS = 24th
3B = 16th
LF = 24th
CF = 12th
RF = 12th
DH = 5th

Team = t8th

Defensive Runs Saved-UZR/150

C = 7th-NA
1B = t14th-3rd
2B = 2nd-5th
SS = 13th-9th
3B = 28th-28th
LF = t20th-25th
CF = 30th-25th
RF = 30th-30th

Team = 28th-26th

With todays win Tigers are 6 back of Division lead and 2 out of wild card.

also of little importance with Fulmer 10th win today 8-14-16 Tigers have 6 pitchers that either have pitched or are pitching for them in the top 34 pitchers in wins this season. Amazingly two of them pitch for the Red Sox!

With todays win Tigers are 6 back of Division lead and 2 out of wild card.

also of little importance with Fulmer 10th win today 8-14-16 Tigers have 6 pitchers that either have pitched or are pitching for them in the top 34 pitchers in wins this season. Amazingly two of them pitch for the Red Sox!

5 back 1.5 behind in wild card

5 back 1.5 behind in wild card

Cleveland got to lose 6 in the loss column for the division, and as of now Bosox got to lose 2 in the loss column for the wild card. Those 5 and 1.5 are not the true numbers to watch! Games in hand come into the factor Tigers have play one more than Bosox and two more than the Tribe.

How ever they do have the number of games left to catch both and put it in hand for themselves.

Spoilers if they miraculously get healthier, but if not, and they soon are all but mathematically out of the race for the road WC, then may as well play their Sept roster expansion call-ups, and rest their banged-up vets.

I pegged this season as likely a competitive, but not contending Tigers team, despite their obscene $$$200+MM payroll, that not even including the $7M for Sheffield and Fielder.

Have only been able to watch a handful of games anyway, ever since '14, ahd follow the Tigers only peripherally, which is likely good for my HBP. MLB very rarely broadcasts any games over the air. and of the 4 major pro-team sports. only the NFL still does. MLB=Greed.

9-1-16 Tied for bad wc game spot now. 2 out for the good spot. So today Contenders.

9-1-16

Going to have to stay with pretenders big set with the royals here need to stop losing to the royals and Indians. That will need to start now, don't have confidence in the offense to stop getting shut down by Duffy and that punk ass Ventura

It's Sept. 5, Tigers just finished off the White Sox in extra innings after winning a series on the road in KC, both thanks to Justin Upton's resurgence. They are tied for the last wild card spot and 4.5 games behind Cleveland in the division (assuming Houston's 6-2 lead in the 9th holds up).

So the Tigers are contenders. They may not make the playoffs but they are in the thick of the playoff race with less than a month to go. I think, by definition, that makes them contenders.

And there is an intriguing mix of veteran leadership and youthful exuberance in this roster right now. I think these last four weeks will be very exciting.

Last edited:
I think their run differential is +25 which is really low for a team that's 13 games over. We've had some good fortune and won at of right games.

9-6

I'll have to switch to Contenders now, taking 2 of 3 in KC was big. Wish they could have also taken down that Ventura punk but I'll take it..Tied for the second wild card, one game off the first, 4.5 behind clevleand with 7 head to heads with em over the last 25.. Take care of Chicago for two more then a big big series with Baltimore up next

9-7 teasers my greatest fear the unbalance/-no run offence shows up. In the play offs you could get by with 2 good starters. But running 3 to 4 positions players ie lower three in the lineup, triple a type will not cut it. you can not sweep chisox when you have too and this was a have to series then it will be hard to stay with soo many that are competing for the wild cards spots.

With 23 games left, the Detroit Teasers have hit the beginning of do or die, with 3 games vs O's (2-1) 4 games vs Twins, (2-2) 3 games @ Indians (1-2) 3 games @ Twins (2-1) 3 games vs Royals (2-1) 4 games vs Indians (2-2) and 3 games @ Braves (2-1).

They really can't afford to lose or be swept in more than 2 series from hereon out, with 6 other teams still at least with a mathematical shot @ one of the 2 WC slots. Since the Teasers have 7 head to head vs the division-leading Tribe, it isn't impossible to overtake them, but very unlikely, given their craptastic 1-11 first-half season record.

With 23 games left, the Detroit Teasers have hit the beginning of do or die, with 3 games vs O's (2-1) 4 games vs Twins, (2-2) 3 games @ Indians (1-2) 3 games @ Twins (2-1) 3 games vs Royals (2-1) 4 games vs Indians (2-2) and 3 games @ Braves (2-1).

They really can't afford to lose or be swept in more than 2 series from hereon out, with 6 other teams still at least with a mathematical shot @ one of the 2 WC slots. Since the Teasers have 7 head to head vs the division-leading Tribe, it isn't impossible to overtake them, but very unlikely, given their craptastic 1-11 first-half season record.

And really The Yank, Royal and Astro been playing pretty good lately. Really would not like playing either Bosox or Jay in there house in do or die one chance game.
The Yank has a chance for either Division or WC. they have been charging. I've said this b/f they win there games and they could over haul the leaders in there Division.

Too bad the tiger gave up there chances with two loses again a badsox team. They have to win 2 out 3 against the OREO's to keep in the WC race. They get sweep it's over for all intents and purposes. Those chisox loses are really bad for all playoff chances. losing those two games have giving every one a better chance now. Tigers are in must wins games next three. And should they don't there teams that could row around them.

Last edited:
9-8 Cleveland won today. That puts the Tigers 6 full games back now. They have to win all 7 face to face games and match Cleveland game for game to win the Division, or get help now!!! They are in can't make a bad step now. Way too many games (32) half!they scored 2 or less runs are coming back to haunt them.

Well this has happen to them before. Too many bad swingers in the lineup bottom Three are for the most part auto outs. That's hard to over come. And the fail pen I don't have any thing left to say. Hey for 175+++ mill better win more.

9-8 back on the pretenders back wagon this team is baked can't go losing 2 of three to the Soxs that might have been the final blow

9-8 back on the pretenders back wagon this team is baked can't go losing 2 of three to the Soxs that might have been the final blow

Bad news Yankees just homer in bottom of 9th two outs, walked it off now ONE back of the Tigers.

Bad news Yankees just homer in bottom of 9th two outs, walked it off now ONE back of the Tigers.

The tigers just need to worry about themselves and win the vast majority of thier remaining games, I won't hold my breath that happens though, they just simply don't consistently enough recognize when pitchers are taking advantage of thier tendency to be over aggressive and make adjustments quick enough..I would seriously like to see them consider just taking two for one inning once when a guy isn't throwing strikes and see what happens. some of these teams come in with a game plan to use the fastball as a show me pitch and get em out with off speed chasers, and they don't seem to consistently adjust to that when that's what their doing with some of the lineup.

That Gonzalez bum the other day was getting them to take first pitch strikes then staying out of the zone on almost everything after his first pitch and they never adjusted..offesne gets into modes where they start trying to force the issue and it rarely works, they are so much better when they aren't trying to force it and take what thier given, I wish they find away to be more consistent with that

Last edited:
Gibson said the other night he thought 90 would get them in, I disagree I think it will take 92 . So...final 23...15-7 which seems highly unlikely with this erratic team that can't get out of its own way

Last edited:
Back