Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Contenders or pretenders

AL Rankings

11th against teams .500 or better

9th winning% against AL Central Teams

t7th (5 teams) winning% last 30 games

t6th (3 teams) in SRS (runs per game better than an average team)

6th Actual Winning%

t5th (3 teams) Pythagorean winning%

A lot can happen over the remainder of the season. We are talking about a CHANCE of a CHANCE. A 1 game play in game. To me, this is a joke. Now if it was an actual series or that the two wild card played the next two playoff team, with the best overall record getting a bye, then I might be more thrilled. But without winning their division, I probably won't be excited until they are playing more than 1 game.

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.vibb...tif_t=feed_comment&notif_id=1473383226087794#

They are pretenders. Even if they somehow manage to make the wild card, they aren't going to do ANY damage in the playoffs.

They are pretenders. Even if they somehow manage to make the wild card, they aren't going to do ANY damage in the playoffs.

Brilliant analysis .......right now they are doing way better then most on here thought at the beginning of the season . Even tho they drive me nuts , of course they are contenders . To say they wont do any damage in the playoffs is just stupid , but then again look who said t .

Brilliant analysis .......right now they are doing way better then most on here thought at the beginning of the season . Even tho they drive me nuts , of course they are contenders . To say they wont do any damage in the playoffs is just stupid , but then again look who said t .

Talk about drive me nuts.

I'm out of the shell!!!!!!!!

The Teasers need to win the rubber game of this series, else fall 2 games and maybe two teams out of the shitty
"Game 163" road WC slot.

How do you figure that? Is that what you thought about KC in 2014?

KC had a team ERA of 3.51 in 2014, which was #4 in the AL. The Tiger's team ERA is 4.23 and the BP's era is 13th in the AL. Add in that they have an inconsistent offense and their shitty record vs. teams with winning records...it's very unlikely that they do anything in the post season IF they make it.

KC had a team ERA of 3.51 in 2014, which was #4 in the AL. The Tiger's team ERA is 4.23 and the BP's era is 13th in the AL. Add in that they have an inconsistent offense and their shitty record vs. teams with winning records...it's very unlikely that they do anything in the post season IF they make it.

While the Tigers aren't 4th in the AL, comparing the ERA from those two teams is misleading. The Indians lead the AL with a 3.80 ERA.

Looks like the Teasers could finish the season ~.500, which is where I pegged them @ the start. The players who surprised being injured and not enough to overcome those who sucked. Upton streaking way late in the season as well. Cabrera is hitting 11 points below his career avg of .321.

Still could wind up with a ROY as a consolation prize...haha!!

Last edited:
Tigers going 4-3 or better vs Indians is veryunlikely. Tigers clinching the road WC, then defeating the Blue Jays, Orioles, or Red Sox, then defeating the Rangers 3 of 5 in their ALDS, then defeating most likely the Indians 4 of 7 in the ALCS being EXTREMELY unlikely...especially given that they would be fielding their weakest postseason pitching staff, and inconsistent offense over the past decade, including '06.

But even imagining that the Tigers somehow were to pull off those 3 improbable-dream "crapshoots" capturing the AL Pennant. Then they would advance to the WS, quite probably facing who has been the best team by far in the Majors, being the only 100+ win Cubs.

I would be absolutely mortified to be a Detroit sports fan whose MLB franchise (who already holds the all-time AL record for losses in a season) became yet another sports trivia question for the ages, by becoming the only WS ballclub to lose/win/lose to them in the past 108 years...especially if
they were utterly annihilated and humiliated 4-1 or swept, (including consecutive road-home SHOs) ala '06 and '12.

Last edited:
Tigers going 4-3 or better vs Indians is veryunlikely. Tigers clinching the road WC, then defeating the Blue Jays, Orioles, or Red Sox, then defeating the Rangers 3 of 5 in their ALDS, then defeating most likely the Indians 4 of 7 in the ALCS being EXTREMELY unlikely...especially given that they would be fielding their weakest postseason pitching staff, and inconsitent offense over the past decade, including '06.

But even imagining that the Tigers somehow were to pull off those 3 improbable-dream "crapshoots" capturing the AL Pennant. Then they would advance to the WS, quite probably facing who has been the best team by far in the Majors, being the only 100+ win Cubs.

I would be absolutely mortified to be a Detroit sports fan whose MLB franchise (who already holds the all-time AL record for losses in a season) became yet another sports trivia question for the ages, by becoming the only WS ballclub to lose/win/lose to them in the past 108 years...especially if
they were utterly annihilated and humiliated 4-1 or swept, (including consecutive road-home SHOs) ala '06 and '12.

I would MUCH rather they go to the WS and get swept by the Cubs vs. not making the playoffs.

Last edited:
I would MUCH rather they go to the WS and get swept by the Cubs vs. not making the playoffs.

I want to witness another WS championship during what has become the Tigers' longest streak of futility in their history. Their previous 6 postseason appearances since '84 resulted in series-ending sweeps or drubbings.

I want to witness another WS championship during what has become the Tigers' longest streak of futility in their history. Their previous 6 postseason appearances since '84 resulted in series-ending sweeps or drubbings.

yes...I want to see them win another as well. But I would rather they go and lose than not get there at all.

Getting there but failing to win it all yet again, just wouldn't cut it for me. I would gladly trade all 6 of the Tigers' postseason appearances for the Royals' results in just 2 in '14 and esp '15.

With the Tigers' blowout loss to the Twins, and the post-ARod resurgent Yankees' shutout win over the Dodgers, they are now tied @ 2 GB the Orioles for the AL road WC.

MLB and ESPN are likely drooling about the prospect of all of the largest-market ballclubs potentially playing in the postseason, ideally with the NYY, BRS, CLI, and TXR in the ALDS, and the NYM, WAN, CHC, and LAD in the NLDS.

Then the BRS vs the NYY or TXR in the ALCS, and the CHC vs the LAD or WAN in the NLCS.

BRS vs CHC WS FTW!!

Big Crapi WS MVP!!

Market-share wishes, and ad-$$$ wet dreams!!

Last edited:
With the Tigers' blowout loss to the Twins, and the post-ARod resurgent Yankees' shutout win over the Dodgers, they are now tied @ 2 GB the Orioles for the AL road WC.

MLB and ESPN are likely drooling about the prospect of all of the largest-market ballclubs potentially playing in the postseason, ideally with the NYY, BRS, CLI, and TXR in the ALDS, and the NYM, WAN, CHC, and LAD in the NLDS.

Then the BRS vs the NYY or TXR in the ALCS, and the CHC vs the LAD or NYM in the NLCS.

BRS vs CHC WS FTW!!

Big Crapi WS MVP!!

Market-share wishes, and ad-$$$ wet dreams!!

Not only that but the money boys have fallen love with the "baby bombers" and Gary Sanchez for ROY the guy may or may not get 50 games in this season. Fulmer has falter lately b/c tigers low scoring soft unbalance off fence has taken too many games off.

Not only that but the money boys have fallen love with the "baby bombers" and Gary Sanchez for ROY the guy may or may not get 50 games in this season. Fulmer has falter lately b/c tigers low scoring soft unbalance off fence has taken too many games off.

It would be terrible if Fulmer becomes runner-up, instead of becoming the Tigers' 3rd ROY SP, following Fidrych '76, and Verlander in '06...all years ironically ending in 6.

Last edited:
Back