Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pip Cleared

Not gonna lie....wish he was heavier than 306 playing nose. If he can carry 320-325 and still be able to move (4-3 nose different than a 3-4 with guys like Ted Washington and Casey Hampton who were 350+ and couldn't move) that'd be a tremendous help to whomever is playing the "3" technique (Wormley?) in terms of opening up room by commanding a double team.

Didn't want to start a brand new thread on the DL, so will just piggy back off this one. The UM coaches are going to have some difficult decisions to make regarding the DL, and quite frankly you can make the argument that it's easier to be more optimistic about the prospects of the 2014 offensive line rather than defensive.

If UM continues to employ a 4-3 under (moving OLB to the line and the SDE moves inside to play over the tackle) they are going to have to compensate for lack of size or lack of experience. God bless Brennan Beyer, but he was woefully undersized to be a DE in a 4-3 under at 250 pounds. That may be even worse than Craig Roh playing DE in a 3 man front at 275. If UM wants to continue with a 4-3 under, and they want to continue with Clark and Beyer at DE, Beyer needs help when he moves in, either from a more physically imposing LB (which it doesn't have; Mike McCray may be the biggest LB) or from scheme shifts that limit Clark on the other side. From a size standpoint, Frank Clark should be the DE moved inside, but that takes him from what he does best, which is rush one on one against a tackle. UM's bigger DEs would be Charlton or Poggi, and that takes Beyer off the field on 1st and 2nd down against more pro-style offenses like MSU, PSU, and even OSU.

Would the coaching staff start Charlton or Poggi over Beyer in a 4-3 under?

Or do they shift to a 4-3 over technique which keeps the DEs on the outside but puts more pressure on the LBs at the second level? Doing that means the linebackers are going to have to be able to shed blocks from pulling guards and tackles, or be fast enough to avoid them. I'm not as concerned about Ross or Ryan in this regard, but what about Desmond Morgan? We know Hoke's attitude toward seniors, but Gedeon or Jenkins-Stone would be better options here from an size and athletic standpoint.

Does UM switch or at least partially implement a 4-3 over with Ross-Ryan-Gedeon?

So if UM continues to roll with a 4-3 under (or 4 man under) with Beyer at SDE, they're going to continue to struggle stopping the run against more physical O-Lines like MSU, OSU, and even PSU. If they employ a 4-3 over, they may have to sacrifice experience.

They've recruited well lately to allow both options. The younger DT have the bulk to handle the interior of the line (Henry, Mone, Pipkins, Wormley, Hurst who may have to add some of the weight he lost) and the younger DEs are a nice mix of size to play SDE in a 4 man under (Charlton, Poggi) should they choose to employ it with some smaller speed rush guys in passing downs or to play WDE (Marshall, Ojemudia).

We heard the term "smurfs" a lot with the wideouts, but could be used with the LBs too. But McCray, Gedeon, and Ferns have the size I'd prefer to see and hopefully can move too. But I'd love it if Ross had the athleticism he did at 240-245 instead of 227.

Moving forward, UM seems to have the personnel to be more flexible with the base defense. But for 2014, the offense will probably be relied upon again to outscore the likes of Indiana and OSU.

Well in the big picture it's pretty clear herb cares as much about defense as dick rod does

Didn't want to start a brand new thread on the DL, so will just piggy back off this one. The UM coaches are going to have some difficult decisions to make regarding the DL, and quite frankly you can make the argument that it's easier to be more optimistic about the prospects of the 2014 offensive line rather than defensive.

If UM continues to employ a 4-3 under (moving OLB to the line and the SDE moves inside to play over the tackle) they are going to have to compensate for lack of size or lack of experience. God bless Brennan Beyer, but he was woefully undersized to be a DE in a 4-3 under at 250 pounds. That may be even worse than Craig Roh playing DE in a 3 man front at 275. If UM wants to continue with a 4-3 under, and they want to continue with Clark and Beyer at DE, Beyer needs help when he moves in, either from a more physically imposing LB (which it doesn't have; Mike McCray may be the biggest LB) or from scheme shifts that limit Clark on the other side. From a size standpoint, Frank Clark should be the DE moved inside, but that takes him from what he does best, which is rush one on one against a tackle. UM's bigger DEs would be Charlton or Poggi, and that takes Beyer off the field on 1st and 2nd down against more pro-style offenses like MSU, PSU, and even OSU.

Would the coaching staff start Charlton or Poggi over Beyer in a 4-3 under?

Or do they shift to a 4-3 over technique which keeps the DEs on the outside but puts more pressure on the LBs at the second level? Doing that means the linebackers are going to have to be able to shed blocks from pulling guards and tackles, or be fast enough to avoid them. I'm not as concerned about Ross or Ryan in this regard, but what about Desmond Morgan? We know Hoke's attitude toward seniors, but Gedeon or Jenkins-Stone would be better options here from an size and athletic standpoint.

Does UM switch or at least partially implement a 4-3 over with Ross-Ryan-Gedeon?

So if UM continues to roll with a 4-3 under (or 4 man under) with Beyer at SDE, they're going to continue to struggle stopping the run against more physical O-Lines like MSU, OSU, and even PSU. If they employ a 4-3 over, they may have to sacrifice experience.

They've recruited well lately to allow both options. The younger DT have the bulk to handle the interior of the line (Henry, Mone, Pipkins, Wormley, Hurst who may have to add some of the weight he lost) and the younger DEs are a nice mix of size to play SDE in a 4 man under (Charlton, Poggi) should they choose to employ it with some smaller speed rush guys in passing downs or to play WDE (Marshall, Ojemudia).

We heard the term "smurfs" a lot with the wideouts, but could be used with the LBs too. But McCray, Gedeon, and Ferns have the size I'd prefer to see and hopefully can move too. But I'd love it if Ross had the athleticism he did at 240-245 instead of 227.

Moving forward, UM seems to have the personnel to be more flexible with the base defense. But for 2014, the offense will probably be relied upon again to outscore the likes of Indiana and OSU.

Coaches announced they were switching to a 4-3 Over this season.

Coaches announced they were switching to a 4-3 Over this season.

Oh wow. Thanks for that; I missed that announcement somehow.

So I guess the question is what happens with the other OLB spot. Figure Ross, Ryan, and a nice position battle between Gedeon, Jenkins-Stone, and Morgan.

Oh wow. Thanks for that; I missed that announcement somehow.

So I guess the question is what happens with the other OLB spot. Figure Ross, Ryan, and a nice position battle between Gedeon, Jenkins-Stone, and Morgan.

Yes sir. At least they are getting back to practice and we'll have some real answers soon. It'll be nice to talk real football on here again. The doldrums of summer sports are almost over.

Back