Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartans #1

ELPD are the most overzealous pieces of shit on the planet. Ill attribute a large majority of those to the fact the police are at war with the students.

Elpd is a modern day gestapo, this has a lot more to do with enforcement than behavior

Absolutely ridiculous! 1/3 of the arrests are from public urination. Seriously, for the millionth time, there are not nearly enough ports potties in game day. The crowd is no more unruly that anywhere else, it's the police that are out of control.

Absolutely ridiculous! 1/3 of the arrests are from public urination.

I'm just picturing all these Sparties shaking their Johnsons while the ELPD come up behind them and grab their arms and hook them up.

I guess the front of their trousers might get a little damp when that happens.

The calm, even tone the author of that article uses to describe Buckeye fans is hilarious when you think about the reality on the ground for their homegames.

To wit: "Later kickoffs means more time for fans to consume refreshments of their choice, normally with total disregard to how debilitating and frankly stupid they can appear to an outsider."

Stands in stark contrast with the scenes I remember OSU's own administrative video from one of the Michigan games in Columbus from the last decade... the officials wading through Keystone and natty light cans a foot deep, actual rivers of urine flowing out of parking structures near the prime tailgate areas, a couple fans shitting on the ground right out in the open, bottles and cans randomly hurled around, Rodney-King-esque beatings of fans in Michigan gear... all accompanied by near constant shouts of "go bucks!" & "fuck Michigan"

The calm, even tone the author of that article uses to describe Buckeye fans is hilarious when you think about the reality on the ground for their homegames.

To wit: "Later kickoffs means more time for fans to consume refreshments of their choice, normally with total disregard to how debilitating and frankly stupid they can appear to an outsider."

Stands in stark contrast with the scenes I remember OSU's own administrative video from one of the Michigan games in Columbus from the last decade... the officials wading through Keystone and natty light cans a foot deep, actual rivers of urine flowing out of parking structures near the prime tailgate areas, a couple fans shitting on the ground right out in the open, bottles and cans randomly hurled around, Rodney-King-esque beatings of fans in Michigan gear... all accompanied by near constant shouts of "go bucks!" & "fuck Michigan"

ah...the good old days!

I've never been to Columbus but virtually every person I know who has been as an opposing fan has said it's the most unruly, unfriendly atmosphere and many of them have said they felt unsafe.

As far as the EL numbers, it may have something to do with enforcement, but enforcement stems from behavior - port a potties or not, don't blame the cops or the administration if you get arrested for pissing in public, mouthing off to cops or trying to flee. In my experience I have had 3 "run-ins" with police in EL for alcohol related incidents - the first was as a passenger in a car where my buddy got pulled over. The cop actually paid him a compliment that was something like "I've never seen anyone this drunk pass those tests so well." After asking if I'd been drinking (I had), she told my friend she would follow us for the 2 blocks home and as long as he didn't get back behind the wheel that night, she'd let it slide. Another was as part of a really big drunken brawl at the Land Shark - not a single arrest was made when many could have been and the third was a friend of mine was confronted by a cop after taking a leak in someone's bushes. He got his pint of cheap whiskey confiscated, a ticket for open intoxicant, a pass on the public urination and we were sent on our way.

Even as an under-aged student, I never once got hassled about open intoxicant on campus on gameday and I looked pretty young, particularly freshman year. This is all anecdotal and I'm sure others had very different experiences but I've never heard of anything too egregious and I don't really have a problem that EL is always among the top cities in drunk driving arrests per capita or that there are a lot of alcohol related arrests.

Last edited:
I went to Ohio Stadium in October of 1982 to see OSU play FSU and I swear that over the walk to the game I thought that OSU was playing Michigan that day.

I went to Ohio Stadium in October of 1982 to see OSU play FSU and I swear that over the walk to the game I thought that OSU was playing Michigan that day.

back in 82 i used to throw a pigskin a quarter mile

I've never been to Columbus but virtually every person I know who has been as an opposing fan has said it's the most unruly, unfriendly atmosphere and many of them have said they felt unsafe.

As far as the EL numbers, it may have something to do with enforcement, but enforcement stems from behavior - port a potties or not, don't blame the cops or the administration if you get arrested for pissing in public, mouthing off to cops or trying to flee. In my experience I have had 3 "run-ins" with police in EL for alcohol related incidents - the first was as a passenger in a car where my buddy got pulled over. The cop actually paid him a compliment that was something like "I've never seen anyone this drunk pass those tests so well." After asking if I'd been drinking (I had), she told my friend she would follow us for the 2 blocks home and as long as he didn't get back behind the wheel that night, she'd let it slide. Another was as part of a really big drunken brawl at the Land Shark - not a single arrest was made when many could have been and the third was a friend of mine was confronted by a cop after taking a leak in someone's bushes. He got his pint of cheap whiskey confiscated, a ticket for open intoxicant, a pass on the public urination and we were sent on our way.

Even as an under-aged student, I never once got hassled about open intoxicant on campus on gameday and I looked pretty young, particularly freshman year. This is all anecdotal and I'm sure others had very different experiences but I've never heard of anything too egregious and I don't really have a problem that EL is always among the top cities in drunk driving arrests per capita or that there are a lot of alcohol related arrests.

my understanding is that the ELPD got a lot worse after your day. The riots in '98, '99, and... welll... the years since then are responsible for that.

I would agree that the # of arrests after MSU games is surprising, and I think clearly shows something is out of whack in terms of enforcement there, since there's no way the MSU fanbase is that much worse-behaved than Ohio State's.

that being said, the stats in the article need a hell of a lot more context around them before they look like cherry-picking, apples-to-oranges comparisons. of course, with lousy teams, there's going to be little rowdiness in Champaign, West Lafayette, Bloomington, etc. Doesn't mean there aren't issues there, just that they won't surface on football Saturday. At least the author of the article seems to realize that: "In the end, these numbers are just that: numbers."

....basically he knows the article is pointless, but at least it gives him a chance to point out that his poorly-behaved fanbase isn't the worst in one (1) statistical category.

my understanding is that the ELPD got a lot worse after your day. The riots in '98, '99, and... welll... the years since then are responsible for that.

I would agree that the # of arrests after MSU games is surprising, and I think clearly shows something is out of whack in terms of enforcement there, since there's no way the MSU fanbase is that much worse-behaved than Ohio State's.

that being said, the stats in the article need a hell of a lot more context around them before they look like cherry-picking, apples-to-oranges comparisons. of course, with lousy teams, there's going to be little rowdiness in Champaign, West Lafayette, Bloomington, etc. Doesn't mean there aren't issues there, just that they won't surface on football Saturday. At least the author of the article seems to realize that: "In the end, these numbers are just that: numbers."

....basically he knows the article is pointless, but at least it gives him a chance to point out that his poorly-behaved fanbase isn't the worst in one (1) statistical category.

That's possible but maybe, as many seem to indicate here at least anecdotally, the enforcement issue is in Columbus and not E Lansing. Or maybe it's an issue for both and the numbers should meet somewhere in the middle. It's also possible that things have gotten worse in EL but I was in school for the tail end of the annual Cedar Fest celebrations which always got out of hand (huge bon fires, couchees burned, even mopeds and bikes were tossed in - just about anything that wasn't nailed down) so it's not like there were never issues w/ big disorderly crowds and even riots during my day. And when I was there, I believe we were always among the cities w/ the most drunk driving and/or alcohol arrests per capita - pretty sure we were even National Champs on year - Go STATE!

Either way, when you have a student body that throws a drunken riot to protest the banning of alcohol at student tailgates or NCAA tournament losses I'm not inclined to say these numbers are all the fault of the cops.

Last edited:
You realize the references were from Napoleon Dynamite? I didnt follow MSU until I attended in 94.

"Had "Muddy" put in Dave Yarema in at QB more often in '82, State might have gone 3-8."

"Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind."

I think I got the inference. I thought it was fairly plain.

Back