Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stanton 300 million dollar man???

From an article about extending Stanton 2 years before free agency.

"In the spring of 2013, the Tigers extended Justin Verlander, who wasn’t due to hit free agency until after 2014. Verlander had already signed one extension and made $20 million the previous season, so he had little reason to sell himself at a discount. The righty was coming off a second-place Cy Young finish, and Detroit paid him to continue pitching at more or less the same level. Instead, Verlander had an intermittently effective 2013 and fell well below league average this year. Were he entering free agency now, he wouldn’t command anything close to the five years and $140 million he’s still owed. We could say similar things about other extensions signed two years before free agency: the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera; the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman; the Indians and Travis Hafner; and the Phillies and Ryan Howard, whom Stanton just tied for the highest average annual salary secured by a player with fewer than five years of service. And those aren’t the only examples."

From an article about extending Stanton 2 years before free agency.

"In the spring of 2013, the Tigers extended Justin Verlander, who wasn?t due to hit free agency until after 2014. Verlander had already signed one extension and made $20 million the previous season, so he had little reason to sell himself at a discount. The righty was coming off a second-place Cy Young finish, and Detroit paid him to continue pitching at more or less the same level. Instead, Verlander had an intermittently effective 2013 and fell well below league average this year. Were he entering free agency now, he wouldn?t command anything close to the five years and $140 million he?s still owed. We could say similar things about other extensions signed two years before free agency: the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera; the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman; the Indians and Travis Hafner; and the Phillies and Ryan Howard, whom Stanton just tied for the highest average annual salary secured by a player with fewer than five years of service. And those aren?t the only examples."
Not sure I agree with this statement: "Were he entering free agency now, he wouldn?t command anything close to the five years and $140 million he?s still owed. We could say similar things about other extensions signed two years before free agency: the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera; the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman".

I'd bet that JV would have at least a couple suitors in the range of what he's owed, particularly when you consider that Max was just offered more years and dollars and was advised to turn it down. If JV were a FA right now and the ask was 5yrs ad $140mil, we'd probably all be saying that the Tigers should at least kick the tires.

Zimmerman is only owed $14mil/yr for then next four years (ages 30-33), then it goes to $18mil/yr for the following two (ages 34 and 35) with the second $18mil season being a team option with a $2mil buyout. Would you sign Zimmerman for 6yrs @ $92mil or 5yrs @ $76mil going into his age 30 season? I sure as heck would.

Miggy's deal isn't as bad as it sounds on the surface with 10yrs and $322mil possibly still floating out there on it. Odds are that he'll probably retire by age 40 (or 8yrs out) which would chop $60mil off that number and make it 8yrs @ $262mil left. That's a shit ton of cash, but Miggy is still the best hitter on the planet. If someone will give Stanton 13yrs @ $325mil, and he's nowhere near the hitter Miggy is (.320avg/.396obp/.564slg/.960ops vs. .271avg/.364obp/.540slg/.903ops), why wouldn't Miggy get paid like he is right now?

Not sure I agree with this statement: "Were he entering free agency now, he wouldn?t command anything close to the five years and $140 million he?s still owed. We could say similar things about other extensions signed two years before free agency: the Tigers and Miguel Cabrera; the Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman".

I'd bet that JV would have at least a couple suitors in the range of what he's owed, particularly when you consider that Max was just offered more years and dollars and was advised to turn it down. If JV were a FA right now and the ask was 5yrs ad $140mil, we'd probably all be saying that the Tigers should at least kick the tires.

Zimmerman is only owed $14mil/yr for then next four years (ages 30-33), then it goes to $18mil/yr for the following two (ages 34 and 35) with the second $18mil season being a team option with a $2mil buyout. Would you sign Zimmerman for 6yrs @ $92mil or 5yrs @ $76mil going into his age 30 season? I sure as heck would.

Miggy's deal isn't as bad as it sounds on the surface with 10yrs and $322mil possibly still floating out there on it. Odds are that he'll probably retire by age 40 (or 8yrs out) which would chop $60mil off that number and make it 8yrs @ $262mil left. That's a shit ton of cash, but Miggy is still the best hitter on the planet. If someone will give Stanton 13yrs @ $325mil, and he's nowhere near the hitter Miggy is (.320avg/.396obp/.564slg/.960ops vs. .271avg/.364obp/.540slg/.903ops), why wouldn't Miggy get paid like he is right now?

JV will be 32 before spring. He is coming off of two bad seasons. I don't think anybody would give him 5 years at $28M a year...not even the Tigers!

As far as Miggy...only time will tell but as the saying goes...father time is undefeated!

I don't see him retiring before his contract is up leaving $60M on the table. If he did he would be the first to leave that kind of $$ out there.

JV will be 32 before spring. He is coming off of two bad seasons. I don't think anybody would give him 5 years at $28M a year...not even the Tigers!

As far as Miggy...only time will tell but as the saying goes...father time is undefeated!

I don't see him retiring before his contract is up leaving $60M on the table. If he did he would be the first to leave that kind of $$ out there.
On JV, I believe that he'd still be a >$100mil signing on the open market. Maybe that'd be 5yrs @ $100mil or 6yrs @ $120mil, but I don't think it'd be too far off his current deal. I also wouldn't discount a team with money that needs pitching from overpaying for a guy with a stellar track record and big name. The Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, etc. seem like the likely culprits there if it weren't the Tigers.

Miggy's final two years are vesting and based on him being Top 10 in MVP voting. If he is, that'd mean he's still healthy and producing. It'd still be up to him if he'd want to keep playing after 40y/o too. Whose to say that $30mil/yr won't look cheap a decade from now too?

On JV, I believe that he'd still be a >$100mil signing on the open market. Maybe that'd be 5yrs @ $100mil or 6yrs @ $120mil, but I don't think it'd be too far off his current deal. I also wouldn't discount a team with money that needs pitching from overpaying for a guy with a stellar track record and big name. The Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, etc. seem like the likely culprits there if it weren't the Tigers.

Miggy's final two years are vesting and based on him being Top 10 in MVP voting. If he is, that'd mean he's still healthy and producing. It'd still be up to him if he'd want to keep playing after 40y/o too. Whose to say that $30mil/yr won't look cheap a decade from now too?

I misunderstood you...I thought you were talking about him leaving before his guaranteed contract was up.

damn sucks to be us.... Must be great being a ballplayer that is wanted... Man that is a ton of jack from such a shitty team...

damn sucks to be us.... Must be great being a ballplayer that is wanted... Man that is a ton of jack from such a shitty team...

It is crazy what these guys make.

Based on their $28M per year salaries:

Miggy makes about $172K per game.

JV makes about $800K per start.

At least they gave him all this cash when he's 25. Assuming no injuries he'll have many years of dominate hitting and somewhat worth the contract.

I suppose, Mitch, but these guys are always just one play away from being severely diminished or useless. Hell, Stanton almost got that last year when he took that pitch to the face. If that hits him in the eye, he's likely blind and his career is over. I know that they've gotten great with things like Tommy John where some guys come back better than new, but there still isn't a lot they can do for knees and shoulders. You start hurting those and odds are that your skills will diminish going forward. These deals might make more sense if they weren't guaranteed, but that's not the case in MLB. I'm not sure how you can gamble 1/3 of a BILLION dollars on 13yrs of health and productivity, but that's the state of the game now.

At least they gave him all this cash when he's 25. Assuming no injuries he'll have many years of dominate hitting and somewhat worth the contract.

Long contracts are always a huge risk but I would rather take the risk on a guy like him vs. someone that is 33 years old!

Darn I cannot get the link to work.

K.O.: Another Marlins Scam

Giancarlo Stanton's contract is another Marlins scam, and it's going to end in a firesale. Keith Olbermann explains.

Look for it on espn MLB page.. Nice 6 minute clip and spot on about the Marlins..

Last edited:
Olbermann really has very little credibility anymore. He's a guy who wants to make the biggest story, not report it.

Back