Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lloyd McClendon hired as Mud Hens manager

tomdalton22

Is this a hire for a "Brad backup plan" in case things go terrible early??

Maybe we can see more Lloyd rants vs umpires. Never gets old.

Ausmus was not fired after last season's dumpster fire. So I have to wonder how bad it would need to get before he's replaced.

As far as "terrible early" I would expect that right now in any case, the Tigers are going to start off 2016 as one of the worst teams in the A.L.

Ausmus was not fired after last season's dumpster fire. So I have to wonder how bad it would need to get before he's replaced.

As far as "terrible early" I would expect that right now in any case, the Tigers are going to start off 2016 as one of the worst teams in the A.L.

That's my guess too.

However, there is a chance that they make some good moves this off season, JV, Miggy, V-Mart & Sanchez start off healthy and they get off to a good start.

A chance....but I'm not holding my breath!

That's my guess too.

However, there is a chance that they make some good moves this off season, JV, Miggy, V-Mart & Sanchez start off healthy and they get off to a good start.

A chance....but I'm not holding my breath!

We *should* have a healthy Miggy, JV, VMart, Sanchez, and Iglesias to start the year. I'm expecting that Kinsler and JD will be healthy and good to very good again next year too. The current holes or question marks are with LF, CF, C, 3B, the back end of the rotation, middle relief and setup, and our bench. If we can sign or trade for one good everyday position player and one reliable starting pitcher, I'll feel much better about this team. I'm far from doom and gloom though. When we are rolling out a 2-5 of Kinsler, Cabrera, JD, VMart, and a rotation fronted by JV and Anibal, we should be decent at worst. Those guys, when healthy, are studs.

We *should* have a healthy Miggy, JV, VMart, Sanchez, and Iglesias to start the year. I'm expecting that Kinsler and JD will be healthy and good to very good again next year too. The current holes or question marks are with LF, CF, C, 3B, the back end of the rotation, middle relief and setup, and our bench. If we can sign or trade for one good everyday position player and one reliable starting pitcher, I'll feel much better about this team. I'm far from doom and gloom though. When we are rolling out a 2-5 of Kinsler, Cabrera, JD, VMart, and a rotation fronted by JV and Anibal, we should be decent at worst. Those guys, when healthy, are studs.

I won't count on a healthy Sanchez or Iggy...those guys seem to be hurt all of the time. Hell, Miggy, VMart and JV have been injured a bunch over the past few seasons.

Cabrera, Kinsler, Victor, JV, Sanchez and Rodriguez will all be over 32 prior to the start of the season. It is a lot to expect all 6 of them to stay healthy.

Cabrera has had issues each of the last 3 seasons. Same with Sanchez. Victor has only provided above average DH in just 2 of his 5 years in DET. That is a lot of history in just those three to forecast all will remain healthy.

Injuries is the part of the game. The problem here is the falloff when one of these do go down. We have no depth and no one able to step in and perform at replacement level.

Cabrera, Kinsler, Victor, JV, Sanchez and Rodriguez will all be over 32 prior to the start of the season. It is a lot to expect all 6 of them to stay healthy.

Cabrera has had issues each of the last 3 seasons. Same with Sanchez. Victor has only provided above average DH in just 2 of his 5 years in DET. That is a lot of history in just those three to forecast all will remain healthy.

Injuries is the part of the game. The problem here is the falloff when one of these do go down. We have no depth and no one able to step in and perform at replacement level.

The bolded part is the biggest problem.

Puff, puff, pass my friend.

JV and Anibal only play every 5th game respectively. And even if they are awesome, how many 5 hit, 2 earned run games have Tiger pitchers ended up losing the last several years? The answer is far too many. We simply have too many holes. Holes in the lineup, holes in the rotation, and holes in the bullpen. And a black hole managing them. Brad Ausmus is in fact, so dense, that not even light can escape him.

And I don't consider myself "doom and gloom", just a realist.

Puff, puff, pass my friend.

JV and Anibal only play every 5th game respectively. And even if they are awesome, how many 5 hit, 2 earned run games have Tiger pitchers ended up losing the last several years? The answer is far too many. We simply have too many holes. Holes in the lineup, holes in the rotation, and holes in the bullpen. And a black hole managing them. Brad Ausmus is in fact, so dense, that not even light can escape him.

And I don't consider myself "doom and gloom", just a realist.
I'm far from a slappy. I can see why people think they'll stink next year, and I agree with some of it. I also think that people forget how impactful a healthy JV, Anibal, and VMart can be. We went without the three of them, Miggy, Iglesias, and our closer (even though Nathan blew) for significant portions of last year. If we can get all of them back and healthy to start the year (KRod replacing Nathan), that's a huge change from last year's team.

I'm far from a slappy. I can see why people think they'll stink next year, and I agree with some of it. I also think that people forget how impactful a healthy JV, Anibal, and VMart can be. We went without the three of them, Miggy, Iglesias, and our closer (even though Nathan blew) for significant portions of last year. If we can get all of them back and healthy to start the year (KRod replacing Nathan), that's a huge change from last year's team.

The problem is the dead spots, not the spots where we have good players who played sub-par.

Also I meant to highlight the part in your last post where you said we would be decent at worst, that's the source of the puff, puff, pass comment.

Looking at last season we more likely could have been much worse, not much better. Kinsler had nearly a career year, after having a terrible one in 2014. Iggy hit better then anyone expected by far, but if nobody noticed, he faded hard in the second half, much like in 2013. JD was a big surprise, mostly because he was unproven, and Cespedes had the best season of his career. So while people love to point out the problems Miggy, Vmart, and JV/Anibal faced, we got picked up plenty of other places as well.

But CF, LF, 3B, and C are still going to be dead spots. We have to hope Vmart can rebound (age and injury history are not favorable though), Miggy will be Miggy, and moderately healthy, JV will only get lit up a few time like he used to in his prime instead of for a 1/3 of a season, and Sanchez wont fall apart all together and that's just to be roughly equal to where we were last season.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, I simply see the writing on the wall. The Tigers (DD and Mr. I) gambled big and then doubled down and lost, and right now we have a short stack of chips, and it's going to take time to build the pile up again, certainly longer then 1 season.

Does anyone expect him to publicly confirm the suspicion if it were true?

"Yes, we did hire McClendon in case Ausmus sucks again this year."

That would go over well. Who would ever take a job with the Tigers.

I am not saying it is true. Just saying that there is no way a legitimate organization confirms the speculation.

Does anyone expect him to publicly confirm the suspicion if it were true?

"Yes, we did hire McClendon in case Ausmus sucks again this year."

That would go over well. Who would ever take a job with the Tigers.

I am not saying it is true. Just saying that there is no way a legitimate organization confirms the speculation.

I agree with that. They would never say ausmus is the backup plan.

Back