Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Miggys chances of winning another batting title....

Would be nice to salvage SOMETHING from this season.

My positive takeaways so far in 2015.....

1. JD Martinez......legit big time middle of the order hitter.
2. JV may have one last run of productivity left.
3. A Cabrera batting title?

That's it.

I'd throw in Kinsler. As a 2B he's been very good.

Only 9 players in the history of baseball in either league have won more than 4 batting titles. Miggy wins this year and he's on a very short list with the likes of Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Rod Carew, Rogers Hornsbys, and Honus Wagner.

And to do it with absolutely no speed to 1st base is amazing. I think Miggy could win the batting title every year if he gave up on hitting HRs, he can seemingly slap singles and doubles at will.

I would bet he wins 1 or 2 more after this season too.

That's a good one too.....it falls more in the line of my positive, but with ???'s category with others like.....

1. Is Alex Wilson for real? Can he do it again in '16?
2. Is the recent hot streak of Castellanos a sign of things to come or just a hot streak?
3. Can McCann improve enough on a solid rookie year to be a legit every day C?
4. Is Iggy a legit .280-.300 hitter?
5. Can Kinsler carry this tear into next year?

Things like that. There have been a few small positive things about this year.....but most of them raise as many questions as answers.

1. Alex Wilson is OK, as long as he comes in with the bases empty. He is a viable reliever as long as he isn't expected in high leverage situations.

2. Castellanos' hot streak is a mirage. During the month of August:

vs RHP 53 PA .234 BAVG .321 OBP .447 SLG .768 OPS

vs LHP 28 PA .400 BAVG .429 OBP .800 SLG 1.229 OPS

He isn't the only Tiger whose August stats are skewed by lefthanded pitching.

3. McCann is hardly having a solid rookie season. The more he starts against RHP, the lower his stats go. He is one of the worst catchers at framing a pitch and at game calling. His lone bright spot is throwing out runners and most will tell you that runners steal on the pitcher, not the catcher. McCann absolutely sucks offensively vs RHP. 2015 just might be his career year.

4. Iglesias is a legit .275+ hitter. More if he continues to get infield hits.

5. See Castellanos. Kinsler has been hot, but especially against the recent LHP. The concern is he has stopped taking walks since the break, which is what he did in 2014. It is hard to have a high BABIP and low walk rate and have continued success.

...and the Tigers finished last in their division. I really don't care about a stupid batting title!

Because you're into the team not about players.. We finish last regardless, just a small saving grace so to speak.

...and the Tigers finished last in their division. I really don't care about a stupid batting title!

5140f4f2afa96f235700008e.gif

I used to reserve that image for byco, but jesus christ tom, you're so grumpy and angry all the time I'm starting to think you have forgotten what you're angry at half the time.

Me: We still have the best hitter on the planet.

Tom: In my day, we didn't care about the best hitter unless he won the world series, while playing for minimum wage, and selling peanuts in the stands between innings!!

Easy Gents. This is positive no matter how poorly the team finished. Someone mentioned Miggy needing 502 ABs to qualify for consideration.

Did Al Kaline only matter in '68?

Kaline mattered every year, and when he came back from the broken arm courtesy of fk face lew krausse, in typical Kaline fashion he told Mayo to go with the guys that got them there, Horton, Northrup, and Stanley. Mayo told him no way he is leaving the best RF'er in the league on the bench. Hence the great move to put Mickey Stanley at Short in place of Oyler and Matchick who hit a combined like .140

Kaline mattered every year, and when he came back from the broken arm courtesy of fk face lew krausse, in typical Kaline fashion he told Mayo to go with the guys that got them there, Horton, Northrup, and Stanley. Mayo told him no way he is leaving the best RF'er in the league on the bench. Hence the great move to put Mickey Stanley at Short in place of Oyler and Matchick who hit a combined like .140

Exactly. It'd be kind of nice to have a ball player who spends all or most of his career in Detroit. Miggy is costly but so worth it. Side story, I was at Mickey's house once. Went to HS with his daughter. Brighton Class of '83.

Last edited:
Exactly. It'd be kind of nice to have a ball player who spends all or most of his career in Detroit. Miggy is costly but so worth it. Side story, I was at Mickey's house once. Went to HS with his daughter. Brighton Class of '83.

That's cool. How was she with everyone? Her dad a player for the Tigers and all.
I hope Miggy plays the rest of his career with the Tigers gets back to staying healthy, and finishes up with more batting titles, rbi and homerun titles. Another MVP would be great too.
Statue to join the other Tigers greats once he makes the Hall of Fame.

That's cool. How was she with everyone? Her dad a player for the Tigers and all.
I hope Miggy plays the rest of his career with the Tigers gets back to staying healthy, and finishes up with more batting titles, rbi and homerun titles. Another MVP would be great too.
Statue to join the other Tigers greats once he makes the Hall of Fame.

It's funny, I don't think she mentioned he was the ballplayer that played for Detroit. The name just struck me so I asked.. I had met him before and knew he lived in Brighton, got an autograph the year before at an event.

Last edited:
Back