Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Predicting where MLB?s top 30 free agents will land

kmd47

http://nypost.com/2015/11/06/predicting-where-mlbs-top-30-free-agents-will-land/

By Ken Davidoff

November 6, 2015 | 10:33pm
Modal Trigger
Nationals' out-of-touch hire only strengthens Mets' NL East grip
Why Mets should make harder play for Murphy than Cespedes
Matt Harvey's diva saga ends fittingly: Time to trade him?
Cespedes showing Mets fans his worst at the worst possible time
Commissioner OK with Syndergaard pitch, but the Royals aren't

It?s time for The Post?s annual Top 30 free-agent rankings and predictions.

Why 30? Because there are 30 teams.

The rankings are compiled via a mix of statistical analysis and popular demand. The predictions are formulated from background interviews with team officials, players and agents as well as an attempt to think along with clubs, the free agents and their representatives.
1. Zack Greinke, RHP

Only his age (32) prevents him from getting the most money in this robust market.

Prediction: Dodgers, six years, $180 million.
2. David Price, LHP

He loved playing for Joe Maddon in Tampa Bay.

Prediction: Cubs, eight years, $250 million.
3. Jason Heyward, OF
Modal Trigger
Jason HeywardPhoto: AP

He?s a groundbreaker when it comes to getting paid for his defense.

Prediction: Tigers, eight years, $170 million.
4. Chris Davis, 1B-OF

The best pure power hitter in this market, and he?s a little versatile, too.

Prediction: Cardinals, seven years, $150 million.
5. Johnny Cueto, RHP

How much will his up-and-down stay with Kansas City hurt him?
Modal Trigger
Yoenis CespedesPhoto: UPI

Prediction: Red Sox, five years, $120 million.
6. Yoenis Cespedes, OF

He?ll be remembered as the best fling in Mets history.

Prediction: Giants, six years, $150 million.
7. Justin Upton, OF

He already has made more than $50 million, and he?s only 28.

Prediction: Cubs, seven years, $161 million.
8. Alex Gordon, OF

He?s Heyward?s fellow trailblazer regarding defensive value.

Prediction: Red Sox, five years, $90 million.
9. Jordan Zimmermann, RHP

In a less pitching-rich winter, he would make even more.

Prediction: Astros, five years, $95 million.
10. Ben Zobrist, IF-OF

He can do a little of everything, but will his age (34) haunt him?

Prediction: Royals, three years, $50 million.
11. Howie Kendrick, 2B

Did he just dip at 32, or is he entering his decline phase?
Modal Trigger
Wei-Yin ChenPhoto: AP

Prediction: Dodgers, three years, $45 million.
12. Wei-Yin Chen, LHP

Getting Baltimore?s qualifying offer could take him out of play for the Yankees.

Prediction: Phillies, five years, $85 million.
13. Hisashi Iwakuma, RHP

New Seattle general manager Jerry DiPoto has been adamant about his desire to keep Iwakuma.

Prediction: Mariners, three years, $48 million.
14. John Lackey, RHP

In what is his likely his last payday, can the native Texan make his way home?

Prediction: Astros, three years, $45 million.
15. Ian Desmond, SS

The most natural fit, the Mets, haven?t shown the inclination to raise their payroll this dramatically.

Prediction: White Sox, five years, $80 million.
16. Yovani Gallardo, RHP

He enjoyed a nice rebound season with Texas, and he lives in Fort Worth.

Prediction: Rangers, four years, $60 million.
17. Jeff Samardzija, RHP

The Yankees? See Chen.

Prediction: Tigers, three years, $50 million.
18. Marco Estrada, RHP

After emerging with a breakout season, at 32, he?ll be hurt by Toronto?s qualifying offer.

Prediction: Blue Jays, four years, $55 million.
Modal Trigger
Scott KazmirPhoto: Getty Images
19. Scott Kazmir, LHP

The long-ago Mets prodigy is set to score like never before.

Prediction: Royals, four years, $68 million.
20. Denard Span, OF

His injury-marred 2015 really hurt his earning power.

Prediction: Mariners, three years, $42 million.
21. J.A. Happ, LHP

Pittsburgh has a history of retaining its own reclamation projects, like Francisco Liriano).

Prediction: Pirates, three years, $33 million.
22. Dexter Fowler, OF

They enjoyed a successful one-year trial, so?

Prediction: Cubs, four years, $50 million.
23. Mike Leake

San Francisco, even more than Pittsburgh, often retains its own guys.

Prediction: Giants, five years, $85 million.
24. Daniel Murphy, IF

Did you watch him in the World Series and think, ?Now there?s a DH??
Modal Trigger
Darren O?DayPhoto: Getty Images

Prediction: Angels, four years, $50 million.
25. Darren O?Day, RHP

He pitches well against lefties, too.

Prediction: Mets, four years, $32 million.
26. Colby Rasmus, OF

Like with Fowler and the Cubs, there?s interest in extending a rental into a full-blown purchase.

Prediction: Astros, three years, $36 million.
27. Bartolo Colon, RHP

He really enjoyed his time in Flushing and is open to pitching some out of the bullpen.

Prediction: Mets, one year, $7 million.
28. Ian Kennedy, RHP

In this market, he?s going to have to wait quite a while.

Prediction: Giants, two years, $26 million.
29. Matt Wieters, C

Here?s a bet for Wieters to become the first player to accept the qualifying offer.

Prediction: Orioles, one year, $15.8 million.
30. Brett Anderson, LHP

Another guy over whom teams won?t be excited to sacrifice a draft pick.

Prediction: Dodgers, three years, $36 million.

They predict we sign Heyward and Samardzija.... I would be beyond ecstatic if we signed both of them....

There is no way we sign two FAs who were given qualifying offers. We need the draft picks.

There is no way we sign two FAs who were given qualifying offers. We need the draft picks.

Yet nothing the Tigers have done lately has made a lot of sense, so nothing would surprise me at this point.

Definitely need the draft picks. We wouldn't lose our first round pick however unless I'm mistaken

I agree. At this stage with the current payroll plus additional signings, we can not afford to do this. Our minors are ugly.

If we can get Bastardo, Leake, and/or O'day without giving anything up, would be great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree. At this stage with the current payroll plus additional signings, we can not afford to do this. Our minors are ugly.

If we can get Bastardo, Leake, and/or O'day without giving anything up, would be great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see no point in signing Free Agent relievers. None. Most teams develop them from within or the acquire them as secondary, or tertiary players in trades. That is the route I would like to see the team take.

I see no point in signing Free Agent relievers. None. Most teams develop them from within or the acquire them as secondary, or tertiary players in trades. That is the route I would like to see the team take.

I agree with this philosophy.

Right now they have 3 relievers that are pretty much locked in. Hardy, Wilson and Al. Go into spring training with the idea that every minor league pitcher is a candidate to be a reliever regardless if they are supposed to be a starter down the road or not. A lot of teams take their young starters and have them relieve at the major league level prior to them being "stretched out" to be an every day starter.

I'd try and get rid of AA, he's not that good. Inconsistent as heck.

I'd try and get rid of AA, he's not that good. Inconsistent as heck.

I don't think he's been right since around the time he caught a liner to the dome during batting practice.

I had the chance to meet him last summer(2014) the weekend the Yankee's were in town. My wife left her glasses in the car so I was waiting on valet to bring the car around and he was waiting on his car as well. Pretty cool guy, very quiet.

I don't think he's been right since around the time he caught a liner to the dome during batting practice.

I had the chance to meet him last summer(2014) the weekend the Yankee's were in town. My wife left her glasses in the car so I was waiting on valet to bring the car around and he was waiting on his car as well. Pretty cool guy, very quiet.

I have the same thought.

Do any of you guys know the current situation with Cespedes's contract? I remember he had some weird restrictions on his free agency and negotiating periods, but also recall hearing that he was going to drop some or all of them. Anybody know what's up with all that stuff?

Do any of you guys know the current situation with Cespedes's contract? I remember he had some weird restrictions on his free agency and negotiating periods, but also recall hearing that he was going to drop some or all of them. Anybody know what's up with all that stuff?

If I remember correctly, unless the team that controls him at the end of the season extends him PRIOR to the end of the season he can not play for that team until mid May due to some weird CBA clause. So, the Mets can sign him but he can't play for them until May.

Something like that.

I agree with this philosophy.

Right now they have 3 relievers that are pretty much locked in. Hardy, Wilson and Al. Go into spring training with the idea that every minor league pitcher is a candidate to be a reliever regardless if they are supposed to be a starter down the road or not. A lot of teams take their young starters and have them relieve at the major league level prior to them being "stretched out" to be an every day starter.

While Wilson maybe a lock, he is just as volatile as AA.

A. Wilson Away

2015 = 37.3 IP 2.41 ERA 1.02 WHIP .597 OPP OPS 1.7 BB/G

2014 = 29.3 IP 6.44 ERA 1.67 WHIP .876 OPP OPS 5.8 BB/G

2013 = 26.3 IP 5.47 ERA 1.56 WHIP .799 OPP OPS 3.4 BB/G

Alburquerque Away

2015 = 28.6 IP 4.08 ERA 1.54 WHIP .718 OPP OPS 5.0 BB/G

2014 = 29.3 IP 1.84 ERA 1.06 WHIP .570 OPP OPS 4.0 BB/G

2013 = 31.0 IP 5.81 ERA 1.48 WHIP .742 OPP OPS 5.8 BB/G

While Wilson maybe a lock, he is just as volatile as AA.

A. Wilson Away

2015 = 37.3 IP 2.41 ERA 1.02 WHIP .597 OPP OPS 1.7 BB/G

2014 = 29.3 IP 6.44 ERA 1.67 WHIP .876 OPP OPS 5.8 BB/G

2013 = 26.3 IP 5.47 ERA 1.56 WHIP .799 OPP OPS 3.4 BB/G

Alburquerque Away

2015 = 28.6 IP 4.08 ERA 1.54 WHIP .718 OPP OPS 5.0 BB/G

2014 = 29.3 IP 1.84 ERA 1.06 WHIP .570 OPP OPS 4.0 BB/G

2013 = 31.0 IP 5.81 ERA 1.48 WHIP .742 OPP OPS 5.8 BB/G

I didn't know anything about Wilson prior to him being a Tiger. I hope he figured something out vs. just one fluke year. Unfortunately, more often than not, it is a fluke vs. someone all of a sudden "figuring it out"

I ended up finding this on Cespedes on the Cot's/Baseball Prospectus site...

Yoenis Cespedes lf
4 years/$36M (2012-15)

4 years/$36M (2012-15)
signed by Oakland as a free agent from Cuba (via the Dominican Republic) 2/13/12
12:$6.5M, 13:$8.5M, 14:$10.5M, 15:$10.5M
free agent after 2015 season (club must release Cespedes and may not make him a one-year qualifying offer in order to receive draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere)
award bonuses, including $50,000 for All-Star selection
acquired by Boston in trade from Oakland 7/31/14 (Lester/Gomes deal) (A’s pay $0.65M remaining on Cespedes’ 2014 salary, and Red Sox cover $1.8M portion of Lester’s 2014 salary.)
acquired by Detroit in trade from Boston 12/11/14
acquired by NY Mets in trade from Detroit 7/31/15 with $3,729,508 remaining on contract
Cespedes and NY Mets agreed to drop clause requiring release 9/15
agent: Brodie Van Wagenen / Roc Nation (previously Adam Katz)
ML service: 4.000

So, I'm still not entirely sure of his status. I'm assuming he's free to be signed by anyone, since I don't think he was given a QO from the Mets and since he supposedly dropped that contract clause in September. I would guess that he could play right away for the signing team rather than having to wait until May/June or whenever it was supposed to be under that clause.

If I remember correctly, unless the team that controls him at the end of the season extends him PRIOR to the end of the season he can not play for that team until mid May due to some weird CBA clause. So, the Mets can sign him but he can't play for them until May.

Something like that.

That's weird. May?

I ended up finding this on Cespedes on the Cot's/Baseball Prospectus site...

Yoenis Cespedes lf
4 years/$36M (2012-15)

4 years/$36M (2012-15)
signed by Oakland as a free agent from Cuba (via the Dominican Republic) 2/13/12
12:$6.5M, 13:$8.5M, 14:$10.5M, 15:$10.5M
free agent after 2015 season (club must release Cespedes and may not make him a one-year qualifying offer in order to receive draft-pick compensation if he signs elsewhere)
award bonuses, including $50,000 for All-Star selection
acquired by Boston in trade from Oakland 7/31/14 (Lester/Gomes deal) (A?s pay $0.65M remaining on Cespedes? 2014 salary, and Red Sox cover $1.8M portion of Lester?s 2014 salary.)
acquired by Detroit in trade from Boston 12/11/14
acquired by NY Mets in trade from Detroit 7/31/15 with $3,729,508 remaining on contract
Cespedes and NY Mets agreed to drop clause requiring release 9/15
agent: Brodie Van Wagenen / Roc Nation (previously Adam Katz)
ML service: 4.000

So, I'm still not entirely sure of his status. I'm assuming he's free to be signed by anyone, since I don't think he was given a QO from the Mets and since he supposedly dropped that contract clause in September. I would guess that he could play right away for the signing team rather than having to wait until May/June or whenever it was supposed to be under that clause.

I really have no interest in Cespedes. This teams needs a lefthanded power bat/draw walks and corner OF is the only spot this team has available to place said player. Cespedes is a righty and cannot take a walk. He plays good defense and hits for power.

Back