Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers acquire Francisco Rodriguez from Brewers

dale675

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/tigers-francisco-rodriguez-traded-to-tigers/

Rodriguez was traded from the Brewers to the Tigers on Wednesday, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports.
Even at 33-years-old, Rodriguez had another All-Star season, posting a 2.21 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP in 57.0 innings. He held a 62:11 K:BB ratio and notched 38 saves. The Tigers have been in the market for a strong option to shore up the back-end of their bullpen and Rodriguez seems to fit the bill. It's unknown who is being sent back to Milwaukee in this deal.

Last edited:
prospect infielder Javier Betancourt will head to Milwaukee in the deal

He's under contract for $7.5 million in 2016, with a $2 million buyout on a $6 million club option for 2017

looks like Avila is taking over right where Dumbrowski left off!

That was my thinking. Another closer. Every RP we trade for or sign always seems to be a freakin' closer. Of course we will at first use him as a setup guy, overpaying him, until our closer flames out - thrusting Francisco into that role before he undoubtedly flames out himself.

That isn't even the half of it.

As Milwaukee fans know, K-Rod randomly burns down people's houses every time he pitches. He only does it at home, so when they come back from away games he has to make up for it.

Also, he prank orders carry out.

But the worst is his spitting on children fans who come out early for autographs, he'll spend hours doing that. Crazy, but I've seen it.

Geez, the guy had a 2.21 era with 95% SV%. He isn't going to suddenly disappear at 34.

He is a good get, and it seems to have been cheaply done.

Great reliever/closer.

Bad character/cancer type player.

Fast Ball Velocity

2012 = 91.8

2013 = 91.1

2014 = 90.7

2015 = 89.7

Since 2012, he has lost 2 MPH on his Fastball. In 2007, his Fastball was 94.7 MPH, so 5 MPH since then.

Last edited:
I have no idea who they gave up.. someone no good probably but this just illustrates the new GM won't build through the draft like the previous GM.

Fast Ball Velocity

2012 = 91.8

2013 = 91.1

2014 = 90.7

2015 = 89.7

Since 2012, he has lost 2 MPH on his Fastball. In 2007, his Fastball was 94.7 MPH, so 5 MPH since then.

You should probably add that his walk rate has come down and his K rate really hasn't suffered too much.

I really don't know much about him, but it seems like an pretty reliable arm that we didn't and won't break the bank to have.

We didn't give anything of any real value up, and he's going to cost a lot less than the Nathan/Soria/Feliz/Hanrahan mess. (assuming he doesn't become the next giant pile of steaming shit in a long line of terrible closers we have had)

The downside is in contrast he makes Alfredo Simon seem like a real sweetheart.

At this point we werent going to do much better. We could have tried to trade for Chapman but he was going top cost a ton in prospects and salary. Right now I like the deal. We traded a player who hit .260 in A ball. This is a cost effective move that fills a need. A very big need.

At this point we werent going to do much better. We could have tried to trade for Chapman but he was going top cost a ton in prospects and salary. Right now I like the deal. We traded a player who hit .260 in A ball. This is a cost effective move that fills a need. A very big need.

And done us no good. We are not going to contend for a few years, even with Chapman, even with Cespedes, or whatever other free agents everyone thinks we should sign.

We can't buy our way back on top.

Posting some comments from the various media sites here from all the stories posted in the team notes thread.

Adding Rodriguez may come as a surprise to some fans expecting the organization to trade for an elite closer or bring back former Tiger Joakim Soria.
This was clearly Plan C.
General manager Al Avila wasn’t comfortable with the asking price for Andrew Miller or Aroldis Chapman and wasn’t willing to move hot-shot prospect Michael Fulmer in either deal.
OutsidePitchMLB

Betancourt, 20, batted .263 (129?491) with 17 doubles, five triples, three home runs, and 48 RBI over 122 games with Single A Lakeland in 2015.
CBSDetroit

A 20-year-old middle infielder, Betancourt was ranked the Tigers’ 17th-best prospect in 2014 by MLBPipeline.com, and hit .263 with 25-extra-base hits at High-A Lakeland in 2015, playing primarily second base.
There may be a player to be named later coming back to the Tigers, as well — or there might not. “It’s a little bit complicated,” Avila said of the language of the deal.
That’s still not a lot to give up for a guy with 386 career saves — good for seventh on the all-time saves list — including 38 and 44 in the last two seasons. Especially In light of what the Red Sox gave up in trade for Craig Kimbrel over the weekend, and what the rumored costs would be for a guy like Aroldis Chapman.
OaklandPress

Betancourt shows some promise as a future big-league regular, but he is blocked by Jose Iglesias, Ian Kinsler and Dixon Machado. While he does have potential, he may not have as much as Iglesias or Machado over the long haul.
mcbtb

Along with his 386 saves, his sub-1.0 WHIP and his 4.6-1 strikeouts-to-walks ratio the last two seasons, Rodriguez will provide leadership and mentoring to an otherwise young stable of relief pitchers.
“One of the things that attracted us and our scouts was how in the bullpen he has been such a good leader for the pitchers,” said Tigers general manager Al Avila, who acquired Rodriguez from the Brewers in a trade for minor league second baseman Javier Betancourt. “We have some young guys and that’s what we want them to learn — how to get outs. That’s the most important thing.”
Detnews

Hitters swung and missed at his change-up 40 percent of the time last season, getting just 11 hits on 112 balls in play.
Rodriguez has pinpoint control of all his pitches and he throws the change-up from different arm angles, which enhances its effectiveness.
"I just kind of reinvented myself,” he said. “I got the opportunity to learn how to pitch early in my career when I was throwing hard. It's something that is working for me now at the end of my career. Just not to go out there and blow people away, but read hitters, figure out what they are trying to do and go by the situation of the game.
Detnews

Rodriguez will be the Tigers' seventh closer since 2013, a list that includes Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Joe Nathan, Joakim Soria, Rondon and Neftali Feliz. The closer's spot was the first order of business this offseason for Avila, who explored the trade market at last week's GM Meetings while also negotiating with Soria's agent on a potential return. The Rodriguez deal takes care of the spot without signing a long-term contract or heavily tapping a farm system that Detroit is working to rebuild.
Tigers official site

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/v...to-excel-in-detroit/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU
Webvideo K-Rod on being traded to Tigers.
Al Avila and Brad Ausmus introduce closer Francisco Rodriguez during an introductory conference call after he was acquired from the Brewers.

http://beck.mlblogs.com/2015/11/18/how-al-avilas-search-for-a-closer-landed-him-k-rod/
How Al Avila’s search for a closer landed him K-Rod.
JasonBeck'sTigersBlog

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-to-age-with-francisco-rodriguez/
How to age, with Francisco Rodriguez.
Fangraphs

He’s survived for a long time, and he’s even thrived for a long time. You can only do that by adapting. Francisco Rodriguez is a tremendous example of how a pitcher should want to age.
Ideally, you age without showing any external signs of it. Ideally you show up throwing 96 and you go out throwing 96. Ideally you can be a rare physical freak, but you don’t want to bet on being a freak, even if you are special and the only you in the whole wide world. Age affects everybody, even elite-level baseball players, and the key is to change without getting worse. Rodriguez might not be the pitcher he once was, in terms of his overall dominance, but he remains a good closer, despite age having drained his raw skill.
A decade ago, Rodriguez’s average fastball flew at nearly 95 miles per hour. Of all the pitchers who threw at least 50 innings, that fastball velocity put Rodriguez in the 95th percentile. He was, legitimately, a flame-thrower.
Last year, Rodriguez’s average fastball flew at just shy of 90 miles per hour. Of all the pitchers who threw at least 50 innings, that fastball velocity put Rodriguez in the 16th percentile. He was, legitimately, a soft-tosser.
A decade ago, Rodriguez posted a K-BB% of 24%. Last year, Rodriguez posted a K-BB% of 24%.
There are some differences in the profile, of course, and Rodriguez was a little better a decade ago, but he managed to approach that old level of success throwing about as hard as Mike Fiers and John Danks. This is what aging tends to do — it saps a pitcher’s top velocity. Rodriguez has lost a lot of his, but what he’s clearly learned to do is compensate. As such, Rodriguez just managed a career-high rate of strikes thrown. And he also allowed a career-low .229 OBP, putting him points ahead of Zack Greinke, Jake Arrieta, and Clayton Kershaw. It doesn’t matter that .229 presumably doesn’t measure Rodriguez’s actual true talent. His sustaining effectiveness is the point.

According to Cot's Contracts, Rodriguez has a salary of $7.5 million for the 2016 season. Of that salary, $2 million is deferred until 2018, interest free. So, if you're calculating the 2016 Opening Day payroll, he counts for $5.5 million.
Rodriguez also has a team option for 2017 which would cost $6 million to exercise, or $2 million to buy out.
bybtb

http://newenglishd.com/2015/11/18/tigers-get-guy-with-saves-but-pay-reasonable-price/
Tigers Get Guy With Saves, But Pay Reasonable Price.
nedtb

There is another dimension to Rodriguez. He’s known for being a bit of a hot-head and has had run-ins with teammates over the years. Those are the kinds of things you can brush aside in most cases, but he’s also been arrested for assaulting the father of his girlfriend and charged in a separate incident for assaulting the mother of his child. Those are not the kind of issues you want to brush aside. The details of the second incident are somewhat limited and it is possible that Rodriguez has made efforts to change over the last few years. It should not immediately disqualify him from employment with the team to have had these incidents in his past, but you don’t feel good about it either.
The Tigers are no strangers to putting allegedly violent and dangerous people in uniform, including Miguel Cabrera, Evan Reed, and Alfredo Simon in recent years. The reports about Rodriguez sound less egregious than those the Tigers have already embraced, but that doesn’t mean Rodriguez doesn’t have a shameful past which the Tigers should be worried about. At the very least, it won’t be easy to cheer for his personal success. Most of the world doesn’t care about athletes who get into fights and beat women. If you’re a good athlete, people will make excuses for your behavior because they care about winning more than they care about what is morally right. I’m not interested in doing that, but I understand that many of your are.
I wouldn’t have traded for K-Rod without evidence that he’s sought counseling for his personal flaws, shown remorse, and changed his ways. But in a baseball only vacuum the trade does help the team.

#Tigers offered Joakim Soria two years and $13M-$14M. He wants better; #Tigers were uncomfortbale. K-Rod makes that type of money.

http://mlb.mlb.com/fan_forum/podcasts/index.jsp?c_id=det
Podcast MLB.com Extras Detroit Tigers.
MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince and Tigers reporter Jason Beck break down all the angles of the Francisco Rodriguez acquisition and how else they can get the biggest bang for their buck this offseason.

Last edited:
You should probably add that his walk rate has come down and his K rate really hasn't suffered too much.

I really don't know much about him, but it seems like an pretty reliable arm that we didn't and won't break the bank to have.

Only if he pitches effectively for 2 full years. Otherwise, $9.5 Mil for 1 year isn't great. Add in that his signing means nothing if he doesn't help the team make the playoffs. If we sign a closer for $9.5 Mil and we finish 81-81, how was that wise?

I get the fact that he has pitched effectively for the past few years, despite reduction in velocity. If this team was building up for a playoff push, he would be exactly the signing needed. But we aren't building up. We are declining. We have question marks at half our offensive positions, half our starting rotation and probably 2/3 of our pen (even with this signing). This signing maybe changed our winning by 1-2 games. That's it.

It is a sad sign when the first real move of our new GM is this.

I don't get people being down on the move, he has a good swing and miss change up, gets misses on 40% of his changeups. We're only on the hook for 1yr at 5.5M, we have a club option for 6 in 2017. If you don't like this deal, who would you suggest we get? I'm not a big fan of multiyear deals for closers, he has been effective and he comes cheap without much of a commitment. Did I mention we only gave up a minor league infielder with a .640 OPS last year?

If you don't like this deal, who would you suggest they go after?

I don't get people being down on the move, he has a good swing and miss change up, gets misses on 40% of his changeups. We're only on the hook for 1yr at 5.5M, we have a club option for 6 in 2017. If you don't like this deal, who would you suggest we get? I'm not a big fan of multiyear deals for closers, he has been effective and he comes cheap without much of a commitment. Did I mention we only gave up a minor league infielder with a .640 OPS last year?

If you don't like this deal, who would you suggest they go after?

No one

Back