Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DET All Stars

Rebbiv

Who were initially drafted/signed by DET and were at least an All Star on multiple occasions (not necessarily with DET) with at least once with DET?

C ? (Freehan 11, Parrish 8, Tebbetts 4)

1B ? (York 7, Greenberg 5, Jason Thompson 3)

2B ? (Gehringer 6, Whitaker 5, McAuliffe 3)

SS ? (Kuenn 10, Trammell 6)

3B ? (Travis Fryman 5)

OF ? (Kaline 18, Horton 4, Wertz 4, Granderson 3, Cullenbine 2, Mullin 2, Evers 2)

SP ? (Bunning 9, Newhouser 7, Bridges 6, Verlander 6, Morris 5, Lolich 3, Lary 3, Rowe 3, Fidrych 2, Trout 2, Trucks 2)

RP ?

How many of above comprise these WS teams?

1940 = 7

1945 = 6

1968 = 5

1984 = 4

2006 = 2

2012 = 1

Last edited:
John Hiller is an RP AS who was signed by Detroit. So was Mike Henneman.

Last edited:
John Hiller is an RP AS who was signed by Detroit. So was Mike Henneman.

They both had only 1 appearance. I was extending it to those with multiple appearances.

Basically no one, outside JV, in a long ass time. You could go to just one appearance and it wouldn't look all that better ..

How about Gibby? 2x all-star, once in '85 and again in '88, though he declined the invitations. I was thinking Higginson was another possibility, but he never made an all-star team despite having a couple pretty solid years.

How about Gibby? 2x all-star, once in '85 and again in '88, though he declined the invitations. I was thinking Higginson was another possibility, but he never made an all-star team despite having a couple pretty solid years.

The Tigers official website does not reflect Gibson being invited to the 1985 game. Even Baseball-Reference does not list either year. So what is the truth?

The Tigers official website does not reflect Gibson being invited to the 1985 game. Even Baseball-Reference does not list either year. So what is the truth?

There are many articles about it. Here is a blurb from one where Gibby talks about him turning it down in 1985

There's a certain stubbornness that comes with being a Gibson, and Kirk had it in his head that the All-Star Game was too much about personal accomplishment, while all he cared about was his team winning the World Series.

"The whole event just wasn't who I was," Gibson said.
It was a stance that Robert wished were different.
"He knew how I was," Gibson said. "I was a total team guy. There's a makeup inside of me that doesn't want any individual acknowledgement. When the World Series is over, fine, then let's talk about that stuff. But up to that point? No. It's a mechanism inside of me. I was a team-oriented guy, and I played all out every day so the three days we had I was going to take three days and chill and get ready for my team."
In 1985, Gibson's manager with the Tigers, Sparky Anderson, asked him to participate when he was selecting the American League roster, and Gibson declined.
"He found out and we had a discussion about that," Gibson said of his father. "We were very close. We had this kind of relationship where we sparred a bit."
They would spar again in 1988 when NL All-Star manager Whitey Herzog asked Gibson to be part of the All-Star team.
Gibson was in the middle of his first season with the Dodgers -- a Midwestern boy trapped on the West Coast -- and he simply wanted to spend the break with his family in Michigan.
"I was kind of missing home," Gibson said.

As was already said, there are lots of articles stating the same, but here is one on Gibby turning two ASG invites...

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/kirk-gibson-twice-turned-down-the-all-star-game/

I get the fact there are articles about the subject. In fact, I did a internet search prior to posting my question. There are many articles claiming he was never an all star.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1690946-the-greatest-players-who-never-made-a-mlb-all-star-team

http://baseball.about.com/od/allstargam1/tp/worstallstars.htm

Yet, two well respected websites don't even list the fact he was selected.

Why? Because there is a difference between invite versus selected. The fact that Sparky asked and he said no didn't make it an official selection.

Yet Gibson never officially made it to the All-Star Game (he declined invitations in 1985 and 1988).

Semantics? Maybe. Regardless, he officially was never an All Star.

I get the fact there are articles about the subject. In fact, I did a internet search prior to posting my question. There are many articles claiming he was never an all star.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1690946-the-greatest-players-who-never-made-a-mlb-all-star-team

http://baseball.about.com/od/allstargam1/tp/worstallstars.htm

Yet, two well respected websites don't even list the fact he was selected.

Why? Because there is a difference between invite versus selected. The fact that Sparky asked and he said no didn't make it an official selection.

Yet Gibson never officially made it to the All-Star Game (he declined invitations in 1985 and 1988).

Semantics? Maybe. Regardless, he officially was never an All Star.
Fair enough. Gibby is probably the one weird (*) edge case answer to this question.

That said, what is the point or purpose of this thread? Is it just to gather a list of data or to illustrate a larger point through example data (e.g., our drafting, talent development and retention are good/bad in comparison to other organizations)?

Fair enough. Gibby is probably the one weird (*) edge case answer to this question.

That said, what is the point or purpose of this thread? Is it just to gather a list of data or to illustrate a larger point through example data (e.g., our drafting, talent development and retention are good/bad in comparison to other organizations)?

Pretty much.

Since Travis Fryman (drafted 1987), there have been two other Tigers, Verlander and Granderson that were multiple AS members. You can take most any other organization in existence from 1987 to present and find at least a half dozen or more. For some teams, it is over a dozen in the last 30 years.

How does one franchise fail to consistently draft and develop it's own talent is beyond me, especially position players.

Central Teams since 1985 draft

DET = 3, Fryman, Verlander, Granderson

KCR = 4, M. Sweeney, Greinke, Holland, S. Perez

CHW = 7 McDowell, Ventura, F. Thomas, Durham, M. Ordonez, Buehrle, Sale

CLE = 8, Belle, Nagy, M. Ramirez, Thome, B. Colon, Sabathia, V. Martinez, Kipnis

MIN = 9, Knoblach, Lawton, Guardado, Hunter, Pierzynski, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Perkins

Pretty much.

Since Travis Fryman (drafted 1987), there have been two other Tigers, Verlander and Granderson that were multiple AS members. You can take most any other organization in existence from 1987 to present and find at least a half dozen or more. For some teams, it is over a dozen in the last 30 years.

How does one franchise fail to consistently draft and develop it's own talent is beyond me, especially position players.

Central Teams since 1985 draft

DET = 3, Fryman, Verlander, Granderson

KCR = 4, M. Sweeney, Greinke, Holland, S. Perez

CHW = 7 McDowell, Ventura, F. Thomas, Durham, M. Ordonez, Buehrle, Sale

CLE = 8, Belle, Nagy, M. Ramirez, Thome, B. Colon, Sabathia, V. Martinez, Kipnis

MIN = 9, Knoblach, Lawton, Guardado, Hunter, Pierzynski, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Perkins
Got it. That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask rather than assuming. I agree 100% with the idea that we need to do better at drafting, developing, and retaining talent. It is odd that the other Ilitch team, the Red Wings, do such a great job at that while the Tigers are probably one of, if not the worst at it in baseball. Can we blame that all on Randy Smith and Dave Dombrowski?

Back