Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons Land Reggie Jackson

The whole thing with him pouting is a bit overblown. He is confident and wanted a chance to go somewhere else to prove himself.

He had an interview on the radio today, I don't get any sort of poor attitude from him whatsoever. I actually think he's excited to be in Detroit.

maybe it was, but there are reports that his attitude and play were a detriment to the Thunder. it makes me wonder how is he going to act if SVG benches him for poor play like he has done with Jennings.

Of course he's excited to be here, he has been given the reigns to the team.

I hope he turns out great here but let's not pretend there aren't some ? marks in regards to his attitude and play.

I mean the guy when he was starting had a nice stat line on a team where he wasn't the main option.

20.0 ppg
7.6 apg
5.2 rpg
1 spg

Like sure his outside shot isn't there yet, but he is young and there have been a plethora of players that start out just like this guy from a shooting perspective and they get better at it.

Everyone has question marks not named LeBron James. There was no harm in this trade, other than losing a good role player, that's about it.

very small sample size but 4 games in since the trade. So far they are 1-3 with Reggie Jackson. He has played shitty defense which was expected. He had one good shooting game where he went 7-15. Overall he has shot 33% from the field and 24% from behind the arc (took 17 shots in 4 games)

I know it's early but so far he looks like shit. A smaller version of J-Smoove!

He's a shitty shooter. And although he can rebound well for a guard, gets assists, and be an athletic presence, being a terrible shooter and not playing good defense will pretty much kill all of that value.

Kyle Singler.

they lost DJ too...he was signed for next year. Good back up PG who was cheap $3M

Look at some of these back up players on the Pistons and what they earn.

Joel Anthony $3.8M
Butler $4.5M
Jodie Meeks $6M
Tay $7.7M
Tolliver $3M

Thought you were talking about how the team is looking financially.

Sure he is. But it's been like four games with Jackson at the helm. Let's not make a decision quite yet.

Last edited:
As a move for the future, it probably wasn't bad to make. Singler may just be a role player but he filled a role on this team that at least in part was responsible for their sudden ability to win games, outside shooting. They can find that again in FA, but I wish they would have just kept going and got into the playoffs. Sure that wouldn't accomplish much long term but they were at least fun to watch very briefly before and somewhat after the Jennings injury.

And DJ was cheap and under control which was nice. Is Jackson going to be signed by the Pistons? At this rate it seems like a bad idea depending on what he is offered.

Jackson has been playing much better lately. Consistently getting 7 assists a game and a decent point total (needs to improve FG percentage no doubt).

I still see him as a long-term option. He's very talented. I don't know what other PGs they will find in the open market that will come to Detroit and be an upgrade. They need to find someone who can score from the 2. Desperately. They cannot stretch the defense.

And Monroe, bless his heart, has to go. He's solid. But when Anthony Davis blocks you flat footed, you know it's time to move on lol.

Last edited:
At this point, it seems Reggie is not a long term solution here. He is talented, yes, but has been below league average efficiency even in OKC, where he had much better teammates taking the pressure off him. He can't shoot, which automatically makes it extra difficult, and is a scoring guard much more than a passer. His defense also leaves a ton to be desired.

My hope at this point is that the team can keep pace in moving up the draft. Currently they are sitting on the 8th spot, but are basically tied for 7th with Denver. Sacramento and now Orlando are both within 2 games of moving back as well. The 8th seed is out of reach, but a top 5 pick is well within reach. Both Russell and Mudiay both would be better long term solutions than Reggie (obviously). But even Porzingis would be a great fit as a Dirk-esque pairing with Andre.

People gave up on him after 4 games. Guy is looking like an all-star.

Sure, truth lies somewhere in the middle. But you can give this guy a big deal and hitch your wagon to him. He's that good.

Judging by their expected position in the draft this season, I'd say it'd be pretty silly not to bring him back. He's had more good games than bad and makes Jennings and his knee look expendable.

FG percentage is up. That is essential for him to be a quality player. It is one month though I wouldn't hang my hat on it. His overall numbers still leave some to be desired as a big contract type guy.

FG percentage is up. That is essential for him to be a quality player. It is one month though I wouldn't hang my hat on it. His overall numbers still leave some to be desired as a big contract type guy.

Well you probably should just look at his numbers as a Piston, starter, and surrounded by his present and future teammates. Which is pretty much 1/4 of the season. Let's not act like it's too small of a sample size. Flair ups don't happen like this in the NBA that last this long. Other sports its common, but the NBA a player doesn't shine randomly over and over, or get lucky consistently.

Even with a slow shooting start from him in a Pistons uniform he is still averaging 17.5/8.5/5.2

Doing that while picking up a new system and dealing with a new coach, surroundings and teammates.

One could say when he was in OKC that his production (that made the entire NBA think he was the next breakout star) was inflated due to playing with Durant. Funny thing is, he is doing better in the Detroit than in OKC.

Back