Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Izzo quotes on Calipari

Sbee

Izzo had a couple interesting comments today on Kentucky and Calipari.

-"I'm not sure I'm crazy about how everything's worked out, what it's going to do for college basketball."

-Izzo on Kentucky possibly going unbeaten: It's an incredible accomplishment whether they have 12 pros or 10." Sarcasm maybe? Maybe I am reading too much into it.

-Izzo on Cal saying the UK combine wasn't about recruiting: "If he was Pinocchio, he could hang 10,000 shirts of that schnoz of his."

Not sure if it is good for college basketball but it is certainly good for Calipari and KY!

Not sure if it is good for college basketball but it is certainly good for Calipari and KY!

of course it's good for Cal, but what he is offering is a 1 year apprenticeship to the NBA, not being a student athlete. of course Izzo would welcome those elite talents that could go straight to the NBA but I know Izzo wouldn't put up with these guys basically giving up on school in their second semester becuase they aren't coming back and really making no attempt to progress towards a degree.

what college basketball needs is the baseball rule, you can go right out of high school but if you do go to college you're not draft eligible for a few years, either 2 or 3 so you don't have the situation you have now. if you're Lebron or Jahlil Okafor, go straight to the NBA, if you do decide to go to a school, it should be more than one year of classes with no real progress towards a degree, stay eligible, then don't show up second semester.

The fact is these guys could go to another school , get more playing time to display their talents and leave also after 1 year if they liked. They elect to go play with 10 other guys an 2-3 as good or better than them at their position???? There is more going on here than the apprenticeship (IE a paid apprenticeship) They could do that at another school with less people to compete against. I just dont want Kentucky to win it all.

Last edited:
Izzo said after practice that he's going to call Cal tonight, a UK writer took Izzo's quotes and asked some loaded questions.

Izzo said after practice that he's going to call Cal tonight, a UK writer took Izzo's quotes and asked some loaded questions.

I doubt this will really make news but curious to see if anything unfolds. Strange a UK writer would attempt a story of negative press, that seems odd. Im sure there are a few other coaches that feel similar towards Calipari though, loaded questions or not.

Last edited:
I doubt this will really make news but curious to see if anything unfolds. Strange a UK writer would attempt a story of negative press, that seems odd. Im sure there are a few other coaches that feel similar towards Calipari though, loaded questions or not.

I have no doubt about that. I'm not going to name any names but I talk to the son of another prominent college basketball coach that works in the state of Kentucky pretty much every day. This guys big brother actually coaches in the B1G. Again, I'm not going to name any names but this guy tells me unequivocally, no one can stand Cal.

Back