Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wanted to Feel Optimistic About This Weekend

wlvrnstlr4life

So I went and looked up Scout recruiting rankings for the last 4 years. Because of our low class this year(16), we were ranked 27 but we had an Avg 3.56 star rating compared to 19th ranked MSUs 3.26(23). 2013 we were ranked #2 class and 2012 #4. 2011, Hokes 1st month on the job, he was able to scrounge up a 29 ranking to MSUs 27. Again though, Avg star was Michigan 3.21 to MSU 3.19 pretty even classes which is a wash.
This 2014 Michigan team should be a really good team this year. We have 25 kids from the #4 ranked 2012 class that should be either contributing Juniors or contributing Redshirt Sophomores. I dont know how many of the 19 kids we signed in 2011 are still on the team, but for development sake, we should have some good ones contributing this year. On paper, I dont think this team should have a loss this far into the season. And it makes me very angry with this coaching staff and the way they have squandered the athletes that they recruited. I really still cant believe how this year has turned out. I thought Nussmeier was the answer, but it wasnt just one coach, it was the whole.

Last edited:
Remember the 2011 kids were essentially RRs recruits
And most continued to sign under hoke

I also agree we have not developed these kids in general

Something is missing in the coaching across the board

If you want to feel optimistic about this weekend, looking up recruiting rankings is not going to do it.

I'm considering the possibility that MSU will be way overconfident, and coming off a bye, we've had some time to get a game plan together, and prepare to play with reckless abandon. But that's about it.

I'm optimistic that I will be in Boulder for CU vs UCLA at noon and watching M on DVR, if a all....

I'm not that optimistic about waking up at 6:30 AM on Sunday to watch the Lions game...but I'm going to try and adjust my attitude about that...

I'm optimistic UM will do better than last year running the ball. I think -100 is achievable for Nuss!

Wait, what??? Having a larger number is bad when there's a negative in front of it?!?!?!?

If you want to feel optimistic about this weekend, looking up recruiting rankings is not going to do it.

I'm considering the possibility that MSU will be way overconfident, and coming off a bye, we've had some time to get a game plan together, and prepare to play with reckless abandon. But that's about it.

And the reason I did it, I guess, was to make me feel that our talent will somehow show up on Saturday and maybe leave the way they were coached in the rearview mirror for one day and, like you said, play with reckless abandon and with not a care in the world.

I'm not that optimistic about waking up at 6:30 AM on Sunday to watch the Lions game...but I'm going to try and adjust my attitude about that...

Yeah what's the deal with that kickoff time? I thought it was a typo.

Glad I'm not a lions fan

Yeah, I was thinking I would just DVR the game on Sunday and watch it when I wake up. I have no confidence in my ability to be up at 6:30.

It's a 2:30 in the afternoon kickoff...it's just that it happens at 6:30 AM where I am...

I didn't realize it was in London. I wonder if tLiar made the trip? I could see that idiot visiting London, taking only pictures of the team stretching and warming up on the sidelines... then posting those here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the topic...

if anything is going to change, it's going to be up to Gardner making something out of nothing on offense. I have no faith in Nussmeier coming up with a gameplan for State. No screen passes, nothing to slow down the pass rush.

I assume the defense will play as inspired as possible, but they're not going to be able to hold State if we can't score points.

If I'm wrong about that, and we just get blown out of Spartan Stadium early, or worn to shreds late, like last year... well... forget it.

I felt like we bottomed out after Rutgers. Things really couldn't have gotten much worse after that point. If we crap the bed against State, any remaining hope and chance for the coaches & seniors to salvage some respect are going to be completely gone. There really will be no reason to tune in after that point... just count the days until basketball and eagerly await news of people getting fired.

I don't want to think about that though...

Want to feel optimistic? Look at these defensive numbers:

considering the mess our offense has been...

I just checked the NCAA stats:

total defense:
MSU 9th @ 292 ypg
UM 10th @ 301 ypg
not bad!

Team Pass Efficiency D:
MSU 21st
UM...69th.

Rushing defense:
UM...4th
MSU..8th

Red zone defense:
(both teams suck, actually...)

scoring defense:
UM t29th
MSU 31st

Want to feel pessimistic?

turnover margin... ouch...
MSU t3rd
UM....124th. Next to dead last.

Sacks allowed
MSU 1st
UM...t82nd. (MSU is 4th in team sacks. double ouch.)

We've gotta use screen passes and mis-direction to slow their pass rush. it's like complete coaching negligence if we don't.

If our offense can generate a couple scoring drives, and at least one in the 3rd Q... MSU is not going to be easily covering the spread. Far from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's crazy how last year and this year are the statistical opposite of RR's last 2 years; our offense is completely inept, instead of our defense.

Want to feel optimistic? Look at these defensive numbers:

considering the mess our offense has been...

I just checked the NCAA stats:

total defense:
MSU 9th @ 292 ypg
UM 10th @ 301 ypg
not bad!

Team Pass Efficiency D:
MSU 21st
UM...69th.

Rushing defense:
UM...4th
MSU..8th

Red zone defense:
(both teams suck, actually...)

scoring defense:
UM t29th
MSU 31st

Want to feel pessimistic?

turnover margin... ouch...
MSU t3rd
UM....124th. Next to dead last.

Sacks allowed
MSU 1st
UM...t82nd. (MSU is 4th in team sacks. double ouch.)

We've gotta use screen passes and mis-direction to slow their pass rush. it's like complete coaching negligence if we don't.

If our offense can generate a couple scoring drives, and at least one in the 3rd Q... MSU is not going to be easily covering the spread. Far from it.

I like this. I think using Hayes in these situations would help immensely, but only if you use him as a running back sometimes on 1st or 2nd down. Him being in on every 3rd down, though, screams screen or draw.

Has there been any hint that maybe Peppers will be able to play? Any boost to our pass D would be something.

Back