Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tiger catchers

lonesometiger

NAME GP AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB BA OBP SLG OPS OWAR
Alex Avila 8 21 7 4 0 0 1 3 7 7 6 0 .190 .393 .333 .726 0.0
James McCann 4 9 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 0 .000 .100 .000 .100 0.0
Totals 10 30 7 4 0 0 1 4 7 8 9 0 .133 .316 .233 .549 --

I know it's only 10 games, but really that amounts to 1/16 of the season in truth. Avila .190 and McCann .000 really are not going to cut it.

I mean after the 1st game like does the catcher even hit? And after the 1st three games like there are no hits!
Like wake up Detroit catchers.

NAME GP AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB BA OBP SLG OPS OWAR
Alex Avila 8 21 7 4 0 0 1 3 7 7 6 0 .190 .393 .333 .726 0.0
James McCann 4 9 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 0 .000 .100 .000 .100 0.0
Totals 10 30 7 4 0 0 1 4 7 8 9 0 .133 .316 .233 .549 --

I know it's only 10 games, but really that amounts to 1/16 of the season in truth. Avila .190 and McCann .000 really are not going to cut it.

I mean after the 1st game like does the catcher even hit? And after the 1st three games like there are no hits!
Like wake up Detroit catchers.

Alex is worthwhile just for the pitch calling and defense. And his pitch selection. Or are you forgetting his current .393 OBP. He's fine.

Because batting averages are what wins games.

derp

I am and will continue to be baffled by the hate that Avila gets.

Do yourself a favor and before crying about Avila's stats, go sort out the league leaders among catchers only and realize that if Avila/McCann "really are not going to cut it", that 4/5 of the league is also in big trouble.

AA gets way to much hate.. He can take a walk and calls a good game. Plays decent to above average defense. Hits a few timely Jacks.. Sample size is to small. Way to early to review McCann..

AA is one of the toughest players in the game. He takes more foul balls off of his face mast than I have ever seen by any catcher.

He continues to call a solid game for the pitchers and is one of the guys in the line up that takes a lot of Walks.

My personal opinion is there are bigger problems on the team than AA. He actually isn't a problem at all.

McCann seems to handle the pitchers well, too. He's caught some great pitching performances this year already. Only so-so one was Lobstein, but he sucks.

McCann seems to handle the pitchers well, too. He's caught some great pitching performances this year already. Only so-so one was Lobstein, but he sucks.

Yeah I'm not about to hold Lobster's struggles against McCann or any catcher at this point.

Last edited:
It's funny how 1 game of not good pitching makes Lobstein a pariah, yet Alfredo Simon had almost the exact same stats in his first game, but had a good game in his second so now he's the man?

It's funny how 1 game of not good pitching makes Lobstein a pariah, yet Alfredo Simon had almost the exact same stats in his first game, but had a good game in his second so now he's the man?

Seems a bit extreme but maybe you saw some posts that I didn't. I'm far from impressed with Simon. Lobstein looked serviceable last season, I was just speaking to his one start this season.

Seems a bit extreme but maybe you saw some posts that I didn't. I'm far from impressed with Simon. Lobstein looked serviceable last season, I was just speaking to his one start this season.

Yes, my point was if you only count the first start each of them made (Lobstein only made 1) They were the same. Now people are impressed with Simon, but Lobstein sucks.

The wonders of small samples.

For me, with lobber, it's a combination of the few ML starts and his minor league career. I guess I'm just not impressed.

And for Simon, he's had more success. Mostly as a RP but still..

And for Simon, he's had more success. Mostly as a RP but still..

Yeah, I find it hard to like him though, guess I'm just old fashioned and rape, and manslaughter - attempted murder are a big deal.

Yeah, I find it hard to like him though, guess I'm just old fashioned and rape, and manslaughter - attempted murder are a big deal.

I don't know why that is news to me. I honestly haven't of those things..now I hate him too.

Back