Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers lost $20.4 Mil in 2014

Rebbiv

The average fan spent $44 on tickets and concessions per ballgame.

This comes to $128.4 Mil in revenue from fans attending the games (2,917,209 attendance). They lost $20.4 Mil. They needed to have 3.38 Mil in attendance to break even (roughly 460,000 difference). Or, they need to raise tickets/concessions by $7 a person, a 15.9% increase.

What about their media revenue from TV & radio?

Thought that the ballclub was on the verge of negotiating a new TV broadcast contract.

What about their media revenue from TV & radio?

Thought that the ballclub was on the verge of negotiating a new TV broadcast contract.

They're a few years into a pact with FSD that won't expire until "the early 2020s," according to a front-office executive who would just as soon stay out of the discussion.

It's just as important to know that contract is non-negotiable ahead of its expiration. The Tigers and FSD are partners for the next decade. They'll deal with a different pre-nuptial arrangement, for sure, if and when they renew vows in 2022 or so.

And some people don't think their window is closing. That thing is going to slam shut very shortly. Nobody on the farm, a few players making a bunch of money and the owner who is willing to lose money has one foot in the grave. The Tigers are going to be the midwest version of the Phillies before we know it!

And some people don't think their window is closing. That thing is going to slam shut very shortly. Nobody on the farm, a few players making a bunch of money and the owner who is willing to lose money has one foot in the grave. The Tigers are going to be the midwest version of the Phillies before we know it!

I have felt the exact same way regarding the final line of your post for the last 2 years now.

Maybe if the ballclub had never been in such a deep state of neglect for so many years, then it might not now be teetering on the edge of disaster. But when you have an utterly humiliating season like '03, trying to quickly build a contender out of the wreckage afterwards (b/c the owner's life-clock is ticking down) means cutting corners and continually sacrificing the future for the present.

My math may be bad but $254 million in revenue vs a payroll of $184 million looks like a profit to me.

I think a lot on here see it TD.. Team has maybe 1 or 2 years left.. Heck maybe it has already closed :/

My math may be bad but $254 million in revenue vs a payroll of $184 million looks like a profit to me.

I don't think payroll is the only thing that cost..workers need to get paid. Maybe they take that into account..plus the cost for upkeep on a Stadium, electricity and shit.

Last edited:

The payroll is just for the players on the 40-man roster. It does not take into account the cost of Comerica, the vendors, the ticket takers, the Tiger staff (DD, Avila, Ausmus, Lamont, etc, etc).

http://www.forbes.com/teams/detroit-tigers/

DET and Illitch has lost $90.1 Mil over the last 7 years. While other teams periodically go into the red, DET has done it 5 out of the last 7 years. Normally, a team reinvests back into the franchise if the have a net operating gain. This generally goes into minor league player development and/or training facilities.

why worry about losing 20 mill in payroll,when the price of the team (if selling) goes up 100 mill a year.

why worry about losing 20 mill in payroll,when the price of the team (if selling) goes up 100 mill a year.

You got a spare BILLON to buy the Tigers. Just b/c there value goes up, does not mean there someone or a group, out there willing to pay it.

The payroll is just for the players on the 40-man roster. It does not take into account the cost of Comerica, the vendors, the ticket takers, the Tiger staff (DD, Avila, Ausmus, Lamont, etc, etc).

http://www.forbes.com/teams/detroit-tigers/

DET and Illitch has lost $90.1 Mil over the last 7 years. While other teams periodically go into the red, DET has done it 5 out of the last 7 years. Normally, a team reinvests back into the franchise if the have a net operating gain. This generally goes into minor league player development and/or training facilities.

And now u now why the 5.00 pizza is 5.99.

travel costs are a lot as well, transportation and accommodations

The average baseball team is now worth $1.2 billion, 48% more than a year ago.

For the record I think we ate a ton of money last year on the Fielder contract. I little bit of pain last year makes for a lot less pain in the years to come.

The Kinsler/Fielder trade saved this team for the next 6 years. To get out of Fielder's contract was like pulling a rabbit out of a hat for our GM.

Kinsler - Contract keeps going down a little bit every year. While we see Prince Fielder doing belly flops on national T.V.

This team will always be competitive. The GM is top notch. Also Green for Ray helps make up for the Fister trade. Low cost player that throws strikes and has looked awesome so far this year.

While no GM is perfect I like where this team is headed with Dave Dombrowski as GM.

For the record I think we ate a ton of money last year on the Fielder contract. I little bit of pain last year makes for a lot less pain in the years to come.

The Kinsler/Fielder trade saved this team for the next 6 years. To get out of Fielder's contract was like pulling a rabbit out of a hat for our GM.

Kinsler - Contract keeps going down a little bit every year. While we see Prince Fielder doing belly flops on national T.V.

This team will always be competitive. The GM is top notch. Also Green for Ray helps make up for the Fister trade. Low cost player that throws strikes and has looked awesome so far this year.

While no GM is perfect I like where this team is headed with Dave Dombrowski as GM.

With the money we gave them it pretty much came out even. What we got, a solid 2B over what we gave up, an awful 1B. Those were my thoughts at the time. 2 years later and so far it's a clear win for us.

You can say we got Fister, initially for basically nothing, and the Green trade was good so far but that doesn't take away that trading Fister for dogshit was a stupid move. Plus we did trade someone else for Greene. Granted who knows if he's any good but still..

Back