Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Vote for the top four greatest living players in major league baseball history.

How in the hell is Rickie Henderson on that list yet Kaline isn't..travesty. Write in vote: Al Kaline.

Yeah, that's a weird list. IMHO, guys like Nolan Ryan, Al Kaline, Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Cal Ripken Jr., Pudge Rodriguez, etc. are as good or better than some/most of the choices presented.

Off the top of my head, and excluding active players, I'd probably go with Aaron, Bonds, Mays, and Ryan as my top four.

Yastrzemki, Fisk, Yount, Bob Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Frank Thomas, Lou Brock, Greg Maddox, Steve Carlton, Jim Bunning

I'm going to go with Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Andrew McCutchen, and Clayton Kershaw.

All those other guys if they were still any good, they'd still be playing.

Shoot, I think Joe Morgan would have been a better choice than Bench even though I can not stand the arrogant prick. Pete Rose was great as well. He was my favorite player growing up.

I think it's Frank Robinson on a write in.

Ricky Henderson was a great ball player and deserves to be on that list, he is actually the best choice on that list. Look at the mans stats. He didn't get a lot of RBI's but his OBP and runs scored are impressive. As Leyland always said, it's about runs created.

Last edited:
Shoot, I think Joe Morgan would have been a better choice than Bench even though I can not stand the arrogant prick. Pete Rose was great as well. He was my favorite player growing up.

I think it's Frank Robinson on a write in.

Ricky Henderson was a great ball player and deserves to be on that list, he is actually the best choice on that list. Look at the mans stats. He didn't get a lot of RBI's but his OBP and runs scored are impressive. As Leyland always said, it's about runs created.

I would have to go with Bench over Morgan. IMO, getting a C to hit like that is worth more than a 2B. Plus as a C he had more responsibilities.

As far as names not listed, understand that Kaline played in a mostly pitchers era. In fact because of '68 they lowered the pitching mound. The position players of today and the past 20 years have it easier.

I would have to go with Bench over Morgan. IMO, getting a C to hit like that is worth more than a 2B. Plus as a C he had more responsibilities.

As far as names not listed, understand that Kaline played in a mostly pitchers era. In fact because of '68 they lowered the pitching mound. The position players of today and the past 20 years have it easier.

The sabermetric crowd doesn't appreciate batting average, but Kaline led the entire A.L. during the 1960's with a .296 average anyways.
I'll take a team of Kaline's over anyone not named Aaron, Mantle, or Mays during his career years.

The sabermetric crowd doesn't appreciate batting average, but Kaline led the entire A.L. during the 1960's with a .296 average anyways.
I'll take a team of Kaline's over anyone not named Aaron, Mantle, or Mays during his career years.

Agree. He was dominate during his career..

He was the best no doubt. He was the complete package. Frank Robinson, Al Kaline... as a write in is hard for me to pick one over the other.

Based on poo list. I choose FR

Maddux
Ryan
Seaver

Mays
Mantle
F. Robinson

No law breakers like Clemens, Rose or Bonds

Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, and Brandon Inge. JUST KIDDING.

Mays, Aaron, Seaver, Bench

Last edited:
As great as Kaline was I don't think he is on the same level as some of the guys being mentioned.

For me

Mays, Aaron, Bonds, Robinson

"Sportswriter Milton Gross described Kaline's deformed foot, saying, "The pinky and middle toe don't touch the ground. The fourth toe is stretched. The second and third are shortened. The first and third toes overlap the second and the fourth is beginning to overlap the big toe, which has begun to bend to the left. It is hard to believe, but for all of his career with the Tigers while he has been called the perfect player, Kaline has bordered on being a cripple."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Kaline

Considering that Kaline played at least half of his career in pain, and @ an All-Star level, he would get my vote. [19]

Last edited:
Kaline was awesome. Bonds isn't even in the same league, Bob Gibson would have kicked his ass. AL had heart and toughness and could play. At a time when the pitching mound was much higher.

Last edited:
Back