Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nathan still the closer?

Thundercats

Apparently, Brad Ausmus is most likely going to give Nathan the job back when he returns, according to reports. That is bullshit. Soria has been lock down in his 4 opportunities. Fuck Ausmus.

If that happens, in a facetious way I hope Soria struggles so we can blame Brad. But I would MUCH rather see Nathan struggle and Soria continue to be lights out. In hopes that Nathan gets released and Soria continues to close.

I don't want either to struggle, I just want our managers to get a brain and go with the best available option at any given time. I think 99.9% of us would agree that ain't Nathan at closer right now.

I don't want either to struggle, I just want our managers to get a brain and go with the best available option at any given time. I think 99.9% of us would agree that ain't Nathan at closer right now.

Ideally this is the best scenario. I can already imagine Nathan being a huge baby about the whole situation should this happen. I'm sure he would mean well, and just get misquoted as usual. :ugh:

Soria is a FA at season's end. If he was lights out, would DET make a qualifying offer? I don't think they will. They certainly won't do it if they limit him to an 8th inning setup man.

Nathan has a $10 Mil option for 2016, with a $1 Mil buyout.

I doubt that either one will still be on the team in 2016, but stranger things have happened. I think at one time, they were hoping Rondon would be the closer by 2016. With his health issues, I think the Tigers are getting worried. That is why you see articles about DET pursuing Soriano.

Anyways....what is the best for DET for 2015? It is, without question, Soria as the closer, not Nathan. Again, neither are likely to be on the team in 2016, so who cares if Nathan whines?

Last edited:
They should treat the situation just like a hockey team does when its starting goalie goes down with injury and the backup goes on a heater: you let the backup keep playing until he cools off.

They should treat the situation just like a hockey team does when its starting goalie goes down with injury and the backup goes on a heater: you let the backup keep playing until he cools off.

Agreed 100%. But based on what Brad showed us in 2014 was his huge lack of ability to adapt. Joba/Nathan had 8/9 inning from opening day til the demise in the ALDS.

Gut tells me DD is pulling the strings with Nathan. He's our guy, we are paying him a ton, you keep playing him.

Nathan $10 Mil

Soria $7 Mil

Not a lot of a difference. DD can waste $1 Mil on Hanrahan to do nothing, so this isn't anything at all.

I don't really care at this juncture. If Nathan struggles but we win games fine, Soria the same.

Not to rehash this thread, but I will. You can't take Soria out now.

The Soria/Nathan combo was great in Texas.

Combo? You make it seem like relief pitchers are better together than they are alone. We know Nathan sucks. Having Soria pitch before him isn't going to change that. The 8th inning would be a waste of our best reliever, IMO. Soria needs to close. Nathan needs to pitch the 7th/8th if we absolutely need him to.

Combo? You make it seem like relief pitchers are better together than they are alone. We know Nathan sucks. Having Soria pitch before him isn't going to change that. The 8th inning would be a waste of our best reliever, IMO. Soria needs to close. Nathan needs to pitch the 7th/8th if we absolutely need him to.

Its only the 2nd week of the season. Soria looks great this year. I was a little worried after he looked so bad last season. If Nathan bounces back, games will be over after the 7th inning.

Nathan re-injured during rehab outing today. 10 pitches thrown, then off to the clubhouse in pain.

Please God let him be out for the season.

You can't wish injury on anyone. Like the guy or not, come on now.

Back